Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No to ACTA protest

Options
  • 14-02-2012 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

We have all seen board's message about the new proposed copyright law in Ireland that will be enacted by a single signature of Sean Sherlock. (I hope you've all sent your email to the TD using the system).

This law directly affects all of us, and will compromise our free internet and free knowledge and sharing on the internet for none of our fault, without achieving what it wants to achieve. For example, your use of boards.ie may be compromised. That goes for Facebook too, which we all use, and which is a key employer for our workforce in Dublin.
    You can see exactly why this law is bad in this thread, just read the first post by DeVore or scroll to the end of the thread and search for my post.

Anyway, since this is a matter that I, as a normal member of the Irish public, am very concerned about, I suggest that we don't just sit back and be pushed around on a matter that affects us all. We do live in a democracy, and this goes against the fundamental principle of a democracy, where everyone's opinion is valued equally.

I am proposing a peaceful protest in Sligo. I know that protests like this don't normally happen in a small town like ours, but since a matter like this forfeits our fundamental rights as citizens, I think it's time to change that.

Sorry if I'm out of place to be posting this here, but I didn't know where else to and it's a matter that I am (and you should all be) very concerned about.

Let me know your thoughts on this, my Sligo people? What do you think? Do you think it's a good idea? As a town, we are unlikely candidates for a protest, and I think it would be very effective. Like I said, it would be 100% peaceful.

Again, if I'm out of place, please delete this post and send me a message, infraction, etc., but I'm sure you mods at boards want action on this as much as I do.

Regards

Advertisement