Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bikes for starting off for a 24 yo

• 14-02-2012 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

i want to get myself into motorcycling and have been looking at some bikes on donedeal and getting some quotes . but im just wondering what bikes people could recomend for someone starting out . i know the bike has to be restricted when on a provisional

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

What is your budget? What style do you like?

You could go after a cheap 125cc or any cheap bike until you get the full license in 6 months. Then after that you'll find getting insurance a little easier and cheaper. You can restrict most bikes too as you said. But it doesn't mean you will be insured on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

My Budget is anything up to 1500 or 2000 at a push . i was thinking something more than a 125 . i was thinking either a sports bike or a cruiser. think im pushing more towards the sports style

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

So something like this? http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2909204
    Edit: I think that's a CBR600RR. In which cause it is a proper sporty racing riding position.
    It's not as hardcore of a sports bike as you might like though. You are not leaning over that far. I was planning on getting one of these but I'm struggling to get insurance for it. I have a full license and I'm 26 but I'm on a 2 year restricted licence.

If you move away from the sports bike side of things you could get a standard road bike. Lots to choose from. Bandits, CB400, GS500

I drive a GS500 which is this http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2972033

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

hornet 250???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

So something like this? http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2909204
    Edit: I think that's a CBR600RR. In which cause it is a proper sporty racing riding position.

tis a cbr600f

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

1500 - 2k means you wont have a great selection. You need to get the first years NCB done and then you'll open alot of doors. I'm not sure if you'll be able to get quotes on cbr600f's or sv650's without one.

And although they're not learner legal (41hp afaik) the Hornet 250 is a superb bike. I've had one of those, an SV650 and a hornet 600 now and that was my favourite by a mile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Hornet 600 is a GREAT bike!! Honda build quality and durability, ideal for commuting and a great hooligan bike when you want to have fun on the twisties! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

1500 - 2k means you wont have a great selection. You need to get the first years NCB done and then you'll open alot of doors. I'm not sure if you'll be able to get quotes on cbr600f's or sv650's without !

A SV650 will be much more easier to insure than a CBR600F!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I started on a (unrestricted TBH) Bandit 600 and my girlfriend started on a (unrestricted also TBH) Hornet 250.

I think both bikes were perfect for beginners! OK, the Bandit is a heavy girl and if you get it wrong at slow speed or while pushing her, you'll drop her.

The Hornet 250 was also a tremendous little bike. The revvy engine is fantastic and they're bullet-proof! The other great thing about them is that they look like 600's and you can easily get them for under 2K EUR. In fact my girlfriend just sold hers for 1.6K EUR 2 weeks ago.

Best of luck either way and welcome to the biking world! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

Steffano, that's dangerous advice. If you have a restricted license and if you crash your unrestricted bike - your insurance will be invalid, and you will be screwed over. I would never ever suggest riding unrestricted bikes on a restricted license. And yes, the Hornet 250, despite being just 250cc, requires restriction to bring it down to 33 bhp.

To OP, you need to sit on a few bikes and see what you like. Sports positioning can be pretty severe on your back and writs, and less visibility over traffic, and of course when you are just starting off, you are not going to be able to exploit the leaned over position that much anyway (you are not going to try to get your knee down for at least a year, I would hope). If you are unsure what you would like, you probably should try bikes with kinda easy - sit up riding position, like the Bandit, Fazer, Hornets etc. They would give you plenty of confidence. And of course, starting off your bike would be restricted and your further limited by what insurance you can get and how expensive it's going to be. To be honest you choices are limited - GS500, Fazer, SV650, Ninja 250 and perhaps a handful of other modelds. Forget about CBR600s, R6, Fireblade, Busa or whatever you were looking up on Donedeal - it's similar to someone starting up on cars trying to insure a 6 litre v8. Not going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

i have this for sale at the moment it is a 25kw/33bhp model and shown as such on logbook, so is fully learner legal. 5k miles and not seen rain....

positron wrote: »
    Steffano, that's dangerous advice. If you have a restricted license and if you crash your unrestricted bike - your insurance will be invalid, and you will be screwed over. I would never ever suggest riding unrestricted bikes on a restricted license. And yes, the Hornet 250, despite being just 250cc, requires restriction to bring it down to 33 bhp.
    Wow wow wow! Where did I advise the OP to ride an unrestricted bike? I simply told him I didn't bother restricting my first bike and neither did my girlfriend. I would never advise taking risks like this!

fatbast wrote: »
    i have this for sale at the moment it is a 25kw/33bhp model and shown as such on logbook, so is fully learner legal. 5k miles and not seen rain....
    Looks new!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

Wow wow wow! Where did I advise the OP to ride an unrestricted bike? I simply told him I didn't bother restricting my first bike and neither did my girlfriend. I would never advise taking risks like this!

Okay, may be I read that wrong. Apologies.

Advertisement