Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sockets on Irish Rail trains

• 14-02-2012 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Anyone know if there are sockets available on Irish Rail trains?

I know there are sockets in the first class of each train (or city gold or whatever they call it) but outside of this does anyone know if any sockets are available?

My laptop has a hopeless battery life so it effectively needs to be plugged in to the mains the whole time!

I mostly travel on the Cork - Dublin train (and vice versa) if that makes any difference!

Thanks very much!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=120&n=225

Most services on Dublin-Cork are MKIV, but I think a couple of the lunchtime trains are ICRs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=120&n=225

Most services on Dublin-Cork are MKIV, but I think a couple of the lunchtime trains are ICRs.

Thanks a million for that!Hadn't seen it on the website!

So at the very least there should at least be a socket behind seat no. 5 and 6 of each carriage. That's great!

You'd think they'd have more esp considering the price the train is these days..but I suppose beggars cant be choosers! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Eod100 wrote: »
    Thanks a million for that!Hadn't seen it on the website!

So at the very least there should at least be a socket behind seat no. 5 and 6 of each carriage. That's great!

You'd think they'd have more esp considering the price the train is these days..but I suppose beggars cant be choosers! :P
    Afaik the sockets are down the end where the luggage racks are and are easy enough to reach but you would be better off trying to sit at those seats or bring a 30meter extension lead:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

The Irish Rail guy said on Matt Cooper last week that all the Dublin - Cork trains were being retro fitted with sockets. I don't recall a timeline being mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Joe10000 wrote: »
    The Irish Rail guy said on Matt Cooper last week that all the Dublin - Cork trains were being retro fitted with sockets. I don't recall a timeline being mentioned.

Would the auxilary genset be able to handle this? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Would the auxilary genset be able to handle this? :confused:

Easily enough, unless all 400 passengers are going to use washing machines, power tools or storage heaters on board :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

I never understood how Cork to Dublin didn't have sockets in each carriage like the trains to Galway do.

I know they're different carriages. Point is, Dub to Cork is the cash cow, has wifi on (nerarly) all trains, so why not sockets from the start too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,077 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Because they were commissioned at a different time and whoever commissioned them (unbelievably) did not see the merit in fitting the sockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The Dublin -Tralee direct trains and newer Mallow Tralee trains also have them on all seat rows as well.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yup who ever commissioned these trains was an idiot.

The one advantage that the train has over the cheaper and faster motorways, is the ability to do work on the train. So surely you would want to make the most of that by offering free wifi and power.

Glad to hear they are going to retrofit it to the Cork trains. Haven't heard that before, it is big news. Anyone know a timeline for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

The waterford - dublin trains have 2 under each table (although they are high up so unless you look for them you wont see them). Very handy for sticking on a movie for the way up/down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

lxflyer wrote: »
    Because they were commissioned at a different time and whoever commissioned them (unbelievably) did not see the merit in fitting the sockets.

To add to this; the carriages were spec briefed in and around 1999, a time when laptop computers were very rare so as it stood, the need for plugs just wasn't there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭highlydebased

IE did claim a few years back wifi would be outdated soon but they quietly retracted that

Surprised they're not trying to say soon electricity will be obsolete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭BowWow

That question was asked four and a half years ago.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Locked with new posts moved to a new thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement