Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you regret not doing when you were younger?

• 15-02-2012 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

I regret not getting involved in sports and becoming more fit.
    I regret not learning how to play the guitar (and sticking at it) instead of the ponsey piano.
    I regret how serious I took life when I was younger.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Having a brain. Seriously, I view my childhood as if it was someone completely different than myself right now. Annoys me often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

yore..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

IM0 wrote: »
    yore..

da!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭shantolog

DRUGS.......

not being more bold

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Being nicer to my folks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

Not putting out the wheelie bins, I had my chance and blew it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭justme7136

Not knowing how to operate my manhood properly when i had an extremly hot girlfriend :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

I regret not regretting more things earlier so I had a chance to not regret them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

Being shy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

• Taking up more sport.
    • Learning to drive at a younger age.
    • Should have got part time work while in secondary school/college over weekends.
    • Being more outgoing, go to parties and go out. (Hadn't much interest in going out when in secondary school that all changed once I started college!) Should have started dating and having a boyfriend at a younger age than I was and have done certain things anyone else would have done at a certain age.
    • Study even harder than I did, also being overly shy and quiet, should have stood up for myself more. Should have left home at a younger age. Should have gone with my gut instinct regards to course and career wise that I really wanted to do after Leaving Cert.
    • Learn to do things for myself when it came to bigger decisions to make them myself without having to ask permission all the time or letting others speak for me and make decisions on my behalf all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Abandoning the notion of waiting for "the one".
    Choosing a different degree.
    Going back to that "crush"'s place for coffee... because I didn't drink coffee.
    Learning how to play the piano.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Not going to various concerts, Nirvana, Queen, The Who, How I did make up for it a bit quite recently by going to Iron Maiden and ACDC :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Allowing bullies to make me feel like ****

Not a day goes by that I don't regret standing up for myself and letting them make me live in fear

Bullies understand one thing and it's a fist in the face. Took me a long time to learn that

And they still exist in the office and boardroom but I take no shít from them anymore

Ah one thing I should have done in college, never went to a house party I was asked to go to and should have...things might have been different!:)

Ah plenty, but sure isn't there a whole future ahead of me.

Don't look back, you're not going that way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Honestly, the list of things I don't regret would be significantly shorter. I regret letting myself have so many regrets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

mikemac1 wrote: »

Not a day goes by that I don't regret standing up for myself and letting them make me live in fear

Bullies understand one thing and it's a fist in the face. Took me a long time to learn that

That's bloody awful Mike :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I regret nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

Not taking a real interest in my college course and going further with it.
    Not going to Oz with my mates..instead taking a 'great' job as a robot with Intel that only lasted 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Learning how to swim! God dammit, i hate that i cant swim, and i'm truly never going to find the balls to learn now. Kids have this trust that adults just cant find :(.

I live on a fúcking island for gods sake, i watxh people swim, and surf and do all sorts of stuff that makes me mad jealous and i stand frozen with fear and watch.

"Stick your head under the water, you'll be fine", no problem, a kid will do it, i will hyperventilate and :eek:

Musta been a nasty death in a previous life :D

If only i learned as a kid :(

• Advertisement

I never learnt how to swim either...but did learn how to ride a bike at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

mikemac1 wrote: »

And they still exist in the office and boardroom but I take no shít from them anymore
    Same here Mike. I regret not learning to drive. I regret not saying no just to fit in with the crowd. I did a course after school and wish I'd followed through with it.

Ah plenty, but sure isn't there a whole future ahead of me.

Don't look back, you're not going that way :)

Unless you're reversing, then look back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I really advise people not to think about this. It's not good to do.
    We can't go back in time (yet?) so there's no point. You can't change the past, don't waste time thinking about it. Plan for the future and do the things you want to do.

Believe me I've regretted a lot of things I did and should have done when younger.

We can't go back in time (yet?) so there's no point. You can't change the past, don't waste time thinking about it. Plan for the future and do the things you want to do.

Unless the past teaches you a valuable lesson for the future. Like I want to wrestle a t-rex, but I barely had the upper hand the last time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

I regret not realising that my body was amazing. I mean I was stunning but I had so many hang ups. "My skin is to dry, my boobs are too big, my skin tone is uneven". If I could meet the 18 year old me I would smack her. I can see now 3 kids later what I had then, I can't believe I didn't appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap

I regret not staying in the womb............... i really should have occupied it as things have turned out.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Regret not standing up to the bullies in school. I'd have no problem standing up to them today but back then I wouldn't have said boo ..

Always wondering if they'd mail me on Facebook to apologise for some of the things they did...still nothing.

I also imagine what if they become famous and are interviewed on the Late Late Show or whatever, they'll probably act all polite and down to earth to put on a false face for the nation, yet little would the people know how they treated me in school :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Not spending enough time masturbating

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

Being a pushover in a ****e relationship. Never again.

Not knowing when a girl is into me. Never again.

I'm plenty young and life is great now, and will only get better with the things I've learned since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

not shaging that blonde girl when i had the chance.....

*wipes away the tear*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I'd go along with this. A person could go crazy ruminating about the past.

Onward and upward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Refraining from smoking, starting facebook and to sum up most my regrets

I really should have said "Yes" more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Everything I have/haven't done has played a part in getting me to where I am now.
    I'm healthy, happy and secure.
    What's to regret about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I don't regret all that much, but insofar as I do, it's almost inevitably the things I didn't do, not the things I did (there's a hint there for the young 'uns amongst us! ;))

Not chancing my arm with that hot girl because I was an ugly fk whose trousers hid his best (and probably only) asset ...

Not going on after to that party which ended up going on all weekend because I didn't really know most of them all that well, and then listening to the stories and the "you SHOULD have come up, Randy!" comments for a month afterwards ...

Mostly that kind of thing, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Yep^^ that stuff.

Other than that, I think I liked the person I was when I was a teenager; I don't think I would have expected too much more from him.

You could go back and put yourself in situations where you always said the right thing to girls, or you didn't upset your parents, or didn't do something stupid, but you'd probably end up an individual devoid of any character or resilience if it were not for these little failures or mortifications, which are all life lessons in the end.

The reason a 30 year old is so different to a 15 year old is in some way down to 15 years of learning from a lot of silly mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Je ne regrette rien!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Not chancing my arm with that hot girl because I was an ugly fk whose trousers hid his best (and probably only) asset ...
    So longhorn ain't just a username.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Ignoring the depression but mainly panic attacks. Should of just got rid of my ego and went for help. Deja vu answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

I regret not running away from the wooden spoon.. hehe

AgileMyth wrote: »
    So longhorn ain't just a username.:eek:

Let's just say I didn't give myself this nick! ;) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Let's just say I didn't give myself this nick! ;) :pac:

My ma?

Hmmmmm. That was wrong

seanybiker wrote: »
    My ma?
    I dunno ... was she brunette, top-heavy, and occasionally welcomed entry by the back door? >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nana Wan

not reading too much;

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Starting smoking. Also the dumbest thing I've ever done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Reading through the regrets of people here and many of these can be rectified now. In all honesty, I don't sit there and look back and regret anything. Okay, I did feck all for my leaving but **** it, I was having fun with my then boyfriend and having a good time having the craic. Mightened have been the most sensible thing to do but sure, I had my fun ;)

We did then, how we knew and now we know it better so we're gonna do it different -Kingsativa...reggae band from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Raditub

setting the school on fire ;) haha Dunno guess i would have liked to be less fearsome in general....if i knew then what i know now i would have made more of the time as a kid! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Regret not being confident in my teens and still now.
    Not moving out from my parents home in my late teens.
    Letting people walk all over me.
    Coming out gay at 15, 12 years later, still not so sure... always jealous of people who know what they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I regret not taking up weight lifting when I was 18. I tried to get into team sports but I had no interest in most of them. My bro was a amateur bodybuilder when I was a kid but he moved out of Ireland when I was teen. If he stayed I might have been inspired to try weight lifting.

I'm a few years off 30 but I'm still disappointed that I missed out on a good few years of training :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement