Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upload speeds on eircom

• 15-02-2012 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

To start out, I've 3meg home broadband on eircom, I'm situated in west cork and the 7meg option isn't availible in my area.

But more importantly, the upload speed availible is absolutely abysmial.

300kbps max, averaging around 200kbps.

What I'm wondering is is there *any* way to get a higher upload speed (the download speed is more than sufficient, tho more couldn't hurt) for a reasonable price without changing providers to wireless broadband (latency is aweful)?

I mean, seriously, I'm so sick of it.

And it wouldn't be so bad except I'm living in cork city during the week and we've 25meg UPC to compare it to, which is just so far out of its league it's not even funny...

On a side note, we used to have 7meg eircom at home, but somehow, it's now unavailible on our line even tho we deffinetly had it at one stage about a year ago.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Mickmac91 wrote: »
    To start out, I've 3meg home broadband on eircom, I'm situated in west cork and the 7meg option isn't availible in my area.

What I'm wondering is is there *any* way to get a higher upload speed (the download speed is more than sufficient, tho more couldn't hurt) for a reasonable price without changing providers to wireless broadband (latency is aweful)?

And it wouldn't be so bad except I'm living in cork city during the week and we've 25meg UPC to compare it to, which is just so far out of its league it's not even funny...

On a side note, we used to have 7meg eircom at home, but somehow, it's now unavailible on our line even tho we deffinetly had it at one stage about a year ago.

nope mate you wont get it higher with eircom with the current speeds. :( 3g bundle has high latency but it can reach upload speeds up to 1,5mb/s so its your call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Mickmac91 wrote: »

If you need sporadic access to better upload speeds, eg for uploading lots of high res photos or videos, you could always get a USB modem from Three or Meteor, or whoever has best speeds and coverage in your part of West Cork. Plug in and upload away as you need to, then back to the regular Eircom connection afterwards. I believe lots of photographers who can't get at UPC do something like this. Not ideal obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

If you need sporadic access to better upload speeds, eg for uploading lots of high res photos or videos, you could always get a USB modem from Three or Meteor,

OF course that depends on the number of users in your cell, with midband you can get any speed at all from 0.1MMbs to anything. I wouldn't depend on mobile midband for anything and neither should you. Also watch out for the pathetic data limits too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 nmccann

I am looking for a little guidance, I'm based in Bunmahon Co.Waterford and i believe the local exchange has 3meg capacity.

Is there going to be an up grade in our exchange? or Who would answer the question?

I have not being able to get an answer form Digiweb or Eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

bealtine wrote: »
    If you need sporadic access to better upload speeds, eg for uploading lots of high res photos or videos, you could always get a USB modem from Three or Meteor,

OF course that depends on the number of users in your cell, with midband you can get any speed at all from 0.1MMbs to anything. I wouldn't depend on mobile midband for anything and neither should you. Also watch out for the pathetic data limits too.

For the download it will be slow i get over 1.5Mb/ on upload even with contended mast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

Forget about getting a better upload off Eircom they haven't got the technology installed anyways to do this. Most of Eircoms lines still use ADSL- meaning there limited to the 7 MPS limit.

Eircom, also has no intention of ever upgrading homes in rural areas least in the foreseeable future. They are well aware theres no competition to replace them.

They also charge the prices they do because of this situation, its a disgrace i know, but we do things backwards in this country. We think conservatively, so is any wonder companies like Eircom get away with screwing us over. The way we bail-out the banks just shows how messed up we are as a people.

Advertisement