Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proof of address / abbreviation

Options
  • 15-02-2012 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi all. Really hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. I'm just combing through our mortgage loan offer. One of the special conditions is that my other half provide proof of address in the form of a utility bill. Just to let you know, we're dealing with AIB here. Anyway most of the bills are in my name but he obviously has bank statements (from AIB) in his name plus his car insurance. Will either of these suffice?
    We may also have another issue with name abbreviations. For example other half was christened Thomas, however he now goes by Tom and does so on bank accounts, bills, everything etc. however I stupidly applied for the mortgage in the name of Thomas Bloggs not Tom Bloggs. Anyone know if this will now cause us problems for drawdown too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hi all. Really hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. I'm just combing through our mortgage loan offer. One of the special conditions is that my other half provide proof of address in the form of a utility bill. Just to let you know, we're dealing with AIB here. Anyway most of the bills are in my name but he obviously has bank statements (from AIB) in his name plus his car insurance. Will either of these suffice?
    As proof of address, probably, once they are from organisations that the bank recognises. Potentially the bank may also be looking for the ability to deal with monthly bills, etc.
    We may also have another issue with name abbreviations. For example other half was christened Thomas, however he now goes by Tom and does so on bank accounts, bills, everything etc. however I stupidly applied for the mortgage in the name of Thomas Bloggs not Tom Bloggs. Anyone know if this will now cause us problems for drawdown too?
    It shouldn't be a problem, however, it would be best to have clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

One of the special conditions is that my other half provide proof of address in the form of a utility bill. Just to let you know, we're dealing with AIB here. Anyway most of the bills are in my name but he obviously has bank statements (from AIB) in his name plus his car insurance. Will either of these suffice?
    AIB cannot accept their own bank statements as proof of address. It's a money-laundering requirement, so effectively they themselves would be confirming his address.

All the following documents are acceptable:
    -Refuse bills
    -Revenue documentation
    -Renewal insurance documents (only renewals!)- car, house, life, pets, etc...
    -Utility bills, including electricity, oil, gas, phone etc.. (not mobile phone bills)
    -Bank/Credit Union statements from any insititution other than AIB

If he really doesn't have any of the above, the best thing to do is contact one of your utility companies; they can easily put him on one of the utility bills and send another statement immediately.
    other half was christened Thomas, however he now goes by Tom and does so on bank accounts, bills, everything etc. however I stupidly applied for the mortgage in the name of Thomas Bloggs not Tom Bloggs.
    It will matter only if the photo ID you submit is Tom. If it's Thomas, you're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

variety wrote: »
    -Utility bills, including electricity, oil, gas, phone etc.. (not mobile phone bills)

Why does the exclusion of mobile bills still exist? At this stage its as hard to open a billpay mobile account as it is to open a bank account with a bank you've not previously dealt with in this country and its been like that for many years.

It should be quite obvious to a bank what the difference between a paper bill for a billpay mobile and, say, a flyer sent to a registerd PAYG customer is by now.

As it happens the last bank account I did open actually did accept a Meteor billpay bill and a P21 as their two forms of proof of address, now that I remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Im pretty sure I used a Meteor bill when taking out a credit union loan. Not the same as a mortgage granted, but I dont see any reason why it wouldnt be a valid bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

MYOB wrote: »
    Why does the exclusion of mobile bills still exist?

Because the account is not directly linked to a physical address like an esb or landline etc would be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Riskymove wrote: »
    Because the account is not directly linked to a physical address like an esb or landline etc would be

Same applies for bank statements, Revenue documents and car/life insurance documents, all of which are accepted pretty much everywhere.

Advertisement