Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline Thread (15/02/2012 to 01/05/2012)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Have these women no fathers,brothers or uncles?

Three sisters would do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

surferdudz wrote: »
    why do you think ?

Ah yes, answer two questions with one

I see what you did there :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Love the way they all automatically assume abuse is only perpetrated on women in a marriage or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I admire Catherine for going back to college and doing her Masters in Psychology, but if I ever need a Psychologist, I don't think I will be going to her......or calling Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

If their partner had an affair they'd more than likely leave. (rightly so)

If their partner batters them they go back.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    Three sisters would do the job.

Skylops deffo on the jar already. HIC !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

I'd really love to know what goes through ther minds

Do some women actually think that the "more he beats me, the more he loves me" ?

signostic wrote: »
    Do some women actually think that the "more he beats me, the more he loves me" ?

You'd wonder sometimes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Is the Cork accent a precursor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭big_heart_on

Liveline is awful these days, used to be bearable, even funny with the aid of this thread, but now its just dire, one person stating the obvious for 20 minutes.

Like this caller "you have to get out..." :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Oh if only leaving were that easy.....

I work in the DV field and its not as easy as just walking away. Where do you go? What do you do if he or she has threatened to kill you if you walk away? Sometimes, mad as it sounds, the daily or weekly beating is the lesser of two evils.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

surferdudz wrote: »
    that was not a letter you dope............it was poetry.....

Joe has really been taken by the poem/letter. So much so he put it up on the Lahhvlahn website.

Here it is....Syklops you might look away now! Can't see this mixing well with Champers...real or that classy South Moravian variety :)

Maria was away for the weekend when she heard very disturbing noises from the room next door, her believe that the woman was being assaulted by her partner. She wanted to read an open letter to this young woman urging her to seek help.

Dear Young Woman
    I heard your muffled scream and your quiet sobbing in the night from my hotel room. I heard the verbal abuse and the beating you got from your male companion.
    There was rejoicing at your birth. You were beautifully dressed for your First Holy Communion. Wonderful family photographs were taken at your Confirmation. Congratulations on your many achievements were heaped upon you during your school and college days. Your birthdays were always celebrated with lovely cards and presents.
    Your parents did not bring you up to be beaten by a cowardly bully. You deserve to be treated with gentleness, kindness and respect by those closest to you.
    If your parents are still alive, please tell them. If not, ring one of the many confidential help lines countrywide to women who find themselves in intolerable situations.
    All I can do is to write this open letter to you to let you know that I care, and that I truly wish that you can find the strength to walk away.
    Yours sincerely

air-sickness-bag.jpg

Anne wasting Garda time :rolleyes:

"I gave a statement but I wouldn't sign it" sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭surferdudz

a call from the national women's council would be of huge benefit now to others caught in this situation

She wouldnt have anyone say a bad word about him.

She let him beat her and she ended up homeless as a result of her relationship with him.

Unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

eviltwin wrote: »
    Oh if only leaving were that easy.....

I work in the DV field and its not as easy as just walking away. Where do you go? What do you do if he or she has threatened to kill you if you walk away? Sometimes, mad as it sounds, the daily or weekly beating is the lesser of two evils.

women`s refuges homes ...there are some in the country i think

You were beautifully dressed for your First Holy Communion.

How the Fook did your wan know that eh? Pure bullsh1te

She wouldnt have anyone say a bad word about him.

She let him beat her and she ended up homeless as a result of her relationship with him.

Unbelievable

You have no clue what you are talking about. Blaming the victim for not leaving is one of the main reasons this is allowed to go on.

Yes, I know one. It's more complicated than just that though. It's the combination of the sense of being trapped, the loss of independence when kids come on the scene, the "no other man will want me" thinking that is seeded by the man, the loss of confidence, the loss of access to their friends.....I could go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I was listening to yer wan reading out the letter and I thought it was a bit stupid... "you were dressed nice on yer communion day"... sounded like the eulogy a priest normally gives about person he's never met in his life.. If she was gonna bother trying to help then she should have been more proactive.

Edmund Burke did not say "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men dont write a strongly worded letter and get Joe Duffy to read it out on the air"

• Advertisement

women`s refuges homes ...there are some in the country i think

There are a few yes but always full...its not like booking into a hotel you know.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Em I missed yesterday but just read the "poem", does anyone else think Maria might be a pseudonym (sp?) Joe is using to wind us all up? Its part of the abuse he subjects us too, cause in all honestly its a F**King brutal poem.

You have no clue what you are talking about. Blaming the victim for not leaving is one of the main reasons this is allowed to go on.

Perhaps not. Then again I'm not the person who goes back to someone who baits the f*ck out of me.

Blaming the victim does not perpetuate domestic violence. Failing to leave does.

Yes, I know one. It's more complicated than just that though. It's the combination of the sense of being trapped, the loss of independence when kids come on the scene, the "no other man will want me" thinking that is seeded by the man, the loss of confidence, the loss of access to their friends.....I could go on.

They break you down so much that you start to believe the crap they tell you, you actually believe you will never be able to do anything without them.

Loving the lack of empathy on this board today, thank god its women eh? Imagine some poor bloke in a similar situation rang in, he would be treated like a joke wouldn't he?

Is that Mammy O'Rourke ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Right boardsies can't listen to anymore of this, the sun is shining, going to listen to the rugby podcast from wednesday off the ball! Talk to you all Monday cause I won't be listening to unFunny Friday tomorrow.

Sy hope the part goes well and your not too hung over tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Uh oh, Brians come back to finish the job :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

pc7 wrote: »
    Em I missed yesterday but just read the "poem", does anyone else think Maria might be a pseudonym (sp?) Joe is using to wind us all up? Its part of the abuse he subjects us too, cause in all honestly its a F**King brutal poem.

Maybe she subcontracted the writing of the poem to that guy who wrote then monosyllabic tribute to Mary McAleese

There was no germs when I was growing up I tell ya, NONE. Now they are everywhere according to safefood.

• Advertisement

They break you down so much that you start to believe the crap they tell you, you actually believe you will never be able to do anything without them.

Loving the lack of empathy on this board today, thank god its women eh? Imagine some poor bloke in a similar situation rang in, he would be treated like a joke wouldn't he?

In fairness, I think most people were annoyed at how Maria did SFA at the time and wrote Joe a letter a few weeks later for which Joe has bestowed Saintly status on her. I don't think anyone here is laughing at the victims.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement