Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline Thread (15/02/2012 to 01/05/2012)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

I'm producing a new Liveline listener in the next few days (ie having a baby!)

God bless, God bless. Take care of yourself, petal, well done, well done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

syklops wrote: »
    Now that I hear it again, the fella sounds a lot like the Brendan Gleesons son who was in Your Bad Self(and a Harry Potter movie).

No chance its a wind up is it?

A wind up? As in a planted caller? Someone who is actually known to the show producers? Saying stuff just to stir it up and cause controversy? Acting basically? On a talk show? Just to pick it up and make it interesting just when it needs it? On Irish radio? Nah, that'd never happen*!

*: may be sarcasm here.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭suzie987

Yay! Second generation liiive laaaahhhhhhnnnnner!!!! Now this is an interesting piece of research - is liveline addiction genetic???!!

On another note, I didn't get to listen in today but based on the posts I am in for a treat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

suzie987 wrote: »

On another note, I didn't get to listen in today but based on the posts I am in for a treat!

Treat is maybe too strong of a word, but it wasnt as bad as most other days is.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭suzie987

syklops wrote: »
    Treat is maybe too strong of a word, but it wasnt as bad as most other days is.

Good point - lets not get ahead of ourselves ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Ivy, Wish you well and hope it happens on a weekend....you would`nt want to miss liveline on such a trivial matter as having a baby ;) .....or at least if its on a week day...not between 1.45pm and 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Listenef to that mcsavage interview on newstalk. What he said about the sat night show and the joe skits just shows the incesteuous love fest that rte is. Poor little joe

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

neris wrote: »
    Listenef to that mcsavage interview on newstalk. What he said about the sat night show and the joe skits just shows the incesteuous love fest that rte is. Poor little joe

http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/programmes/all-programmes/tom-dunne/hes-savage-david-mcsavage/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,196 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Bloody hell, that was just a shouting match by the end! Nice to see Joe trying to get a word in edgeways for once :D Did they ever get the Nigerian on the phone in the end?

And (irrelevant fact of the day) the Nigerian embassy is on Leeson Park, not Appian Way....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

during the promo joe said he was going to talk to a caller who's sister is dead and a person has contacted them to say that the dead sister was their mother. The family are in turmoil as nobody in the family remembers her being away from home. Did anybody hear the promo or did I dream it up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

neris wrote: »

Incredible that RTE would veto a guest on Joe's behalf, given that Joe is a CONTRACTOR, as he keeps telling us.. He should be told "WE choose the guests for The Saturday Night Show, not you. If you dont like it, dont renew your contract"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,960 ✭✭✭furiousox

Rarely seen publicity photo of JD above.
    Although it looks like he's wearing a tie, his shirt is actually open to the waist and he was overdue an appointment at 'de salon'.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 40,865 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Never again will I doubt da Loiveloin. I plodded through the podcasts - bins, adoption, sad story about a kid - and then, BAM!, Nigerians :D

Best ten minutes of radio in a loooooong time, especially when he did the accent! Plus he was right to be pissed about the whole thing.

As a wise Joe once (maybe twice) said - Keep the Faith :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Never again will I doubt da Loiveloin. I plodded through the podcasts - bins, adoption, sad story about a kid - and then, BAM!, Nigerians :D

Best ten minutes of radio in a loooooong time, especially when he did the accent! Plus he was right to be pissed about the whole thing.

The above will indeed be one on the classic calls to liveline and live in the memory for a long time but I don't think there will be any that will out best Shane O Curry

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Xavi6 wrote: »

i was thinking the same thing myself, a final flourish to a rather boring week on Liveline, it was, dare I say it, Messi-esque.

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Given how good it was.. I'm gonna upload that Nigerian Embassy (sketch :D) incident..

Please do!
    I was away in London for a couple of days and it looks like this is the only thing worth listening to.
    I've had enough of Greyhounds and adoptions.

EDIT: Found it, and thanks for the PM Jon.
    Best bit of Liveline for months !

Congrats Ivy and best of luck with the new arrival. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Lapin wrote: »
    EDIT: Best bit of Liveline for months !

As I was speculating at the time Lapin, had to be a wind up. Must listen to it again to be sure...

telekon wrote: »
    As I was speculating at the time Lapin, had to be a wind up. Must listen to it again to be sure...

I was trying to find the guy, Tele... Cos these guys are usually friends of RTE and have profile.. (particularly the way he was fast tracked to the top of the queue, without much vetting)..

I'm wondering if it is this guy...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056391671
    A TAXI driver pulled a knife on a passenger and slashed his hands when they got into a row after the victim made fun of his Korean-built Hyundai cab. Kevin Hanlon (58) carried out the slash attack after he over-reacted to "banter" from the passenger on a late-night journey in Dublin city centre.

He was given an 11-month suspended sentence and fined €1,000 after a judge found him guilty of a weapons charge. Dublin District Court heard the passenger, JJ O'Riordan, was left bleeding from cuts to both hands after Hanlon went "crazy" and began slashing him with a Stanley knife. Suspending the sentence for a year, Judge Cormac Dunne said it was "unacceptable" for a taxi driver to carry a weapon and said he believed Hanlon was not fit to have a public service vehicle licence.

He is certainly similarly loose with his tongue.. What you think?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

telekon wrote: »
    As I was speculating at the time Lapin, had to be a wind up.

I've had the time to listen back a few times in the last hour. :eek:

And I think you might be right there Telekon! (Charleville 1 - Liveline 0).

Apart from the (Nigerian) accent he tried to put on, his own (indigenous) accent was a tad on the forced side too.

I think the guy was having us. And Fair Fúcks to him for that.

Furthermore, it is simply impossible to park outside the Nigerian Embassy in Dublin. There are double yellow lines outside the place.

Notice how > "Mr. Irate Caller" didn't get the address of The Nigerian Embassy correct.

What a plonker.

If I had the time to complain to Joe, I would at least get my facts, figures and head out of my hole first.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

".....Sorry Mr. Duffy, all our staff are in meetings.....":

fonejacker_george.jpg
    This Photo is of Fonejacker character George Agdgdgwngo.
    A distinctly amateurish scam artist from the African Republic of Agdgdgwngo, George attempts to obtain bank and credit card details from the general public by coming up with scarcely-believable stories

(sounds like an average episode of Liveline)

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would like to hear Martin Collins on today to defend that behavior we witnessed in that disgusting documentary made about his "people"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I would like to hear Martin Collins on today to defend that behavior we witnessed in that disgusting documentary made about his "people"

Followed by you speaking about settled "people" who are less than angelic presumably, because as we all know one person is responsible for their entire race/ethnic group/clan. :rolleyes:

tbh Sept, I dont think it's all that bad.. Fair fights, independently adjudicated by another Traveller, when a man is down he is allowed to get up and when he's had enough he says "I've had enough" and it's all over... Fairer that most street fights.

It's the criminality, gang fights, social welfare fraud and other types of fraud that I would be more concerned about.. But Martin Collins wont be on, they only come on when some hotel owner is up in court for not allowing them to throw his the hotel beds out the window..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Yay! Nigerian embassy again! *rubs hands together excitedly*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Love this topic
    *turns the volume knob up*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,960 ✭✭✭furiousox

Hmmm, where's this going....?

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

This could be really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Was not expecting this:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

screw my self imposed ban, more nigerian embassy, this could be gold, I hope the guy doing the accent comes back on again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

close down the Embassies and open Methodone clinics beside this ole cow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement