Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline Thread (15/02/2012 to 01/05/2012)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

sudzs wrote: »
    Really?? I don'! remember it!

:D

Lucky you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

syklops wrote: »
    Because its not adoption related?

In fairness, that's hardly a good enough reason on its own to give much more air time to a topic that, as has already been pointed out, is far more suited to talk shows that air late at night.

It's disappointing to hear Duffy fall back on such a relatively 'safe' topic but it's fair to say that it's clearly of interest to a very large number of people so I can see, from a producer point of view, why they come back to it ... although I do think they have laboured it a bit in this past week alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

We get it, adoption is tough.

Can we maybe end the pity-party and have these people try to lead normal lives instead of treating them like invalids because of something that happened to them as a child (which most of them don't remember themselves).

What's the point of this discussion? What is everyone involved trying to achieve?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. This has no place on a public forum. Personal stories, one much the same as the other, repeated ad nauseum now for over a week.

No purpose other than filling in air-time when there must be dozens of other more relevant topics worthy of debate.

Oh! debate. Joe doesn't do that anymore (if it's OK to offer that as an opinion) does he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Looking for your birth mother isn't serious I suppose? More Irish people are affected by and interested in that than traveller boxing I dare say, though its probably not sensational enough for the low brow tastes of some on this thread. The lack of human empathy on here is shocking:mad:

This thread is about liveline and peoples take on the general rubbishness of it, NOBODY is saying adoption isnt hard for all concerned so save the moral outrage for a forum where its more appropriate. If you cant understand that this thread is a general pisstake of the show then your better off not reading.

This has been covered for days on end now and joe has offered no insight whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Looking for your birth mother isn't serious I suppose? The lack of human empathy on here is shocking:mad:

This is meant to be a discussion show of topical issues and inclusive topics that everybody has an opinion about... Joe has turned it in to The Documentary Hour... I've have no ill will towards any of these people, but I dont have any interest in the granular details of their relationships either..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Looking for your birth mother isn't serious I suppose? More Irish people are affected by and interested in that than traveller boxing I dare say, though its probably not sensational enough for the low brow tastes of some on this thread. The lack of human empathy on here is shocking:mad:

some of the callers last week were trying to find someone who did not want to be found. In such cases it's a non issue, unless you're debating whether biological mothers should be forcibly identified.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I also have shut off the radio, gave up at the 1:30 (ish) mark. Another poor show, it's been an awful lot of misses of late...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,196 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have the utmost sympathy for most of these callers - but this latest woman keeps going on about how she "has to respect her son's privacy" - but what in heaven's name is she doing on Liveline talking all about her googling and his unusual name, and doing all but naming him???

And I think Carol (Caroll?) is a he after all....

That explains the strange letter I got in the post box in Dublin a few years ago. It said something along the lines of "I wanted to know you are adopted and i am your birth mother, and I just want you to know that i love you" which upset me a bit until I realised it was addressed to "Occupant"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Karl or Carol is still there....

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    Now if we can find a bare knuckle boxer who is also adopted AND had a fist fight with the guy in the Nigerian Embassy, maybe that might bridge the gap a bit.

how about that?

Oh sweet jeeeebus, this is like accidentally walking in on a Group Therapy session.

Tears imminent!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Hound of the Grey?

Anybody going to .. huh huh.. Plaza Suite... huh huh.. They'll have you .. huh huh.. rolling in the aisles...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Rubbish talk eminent?

how about that?

Thats actually more likely than finding an adopted traveller.

Highlight of the last 30 minutes.......the ad break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

of course looking for your birth mother mother is serious, but i honestly cant see what ringing joe duffy about it is going to achieve.

Now as for the bare knuckle fights, while some might not be interested in it, im pretty sure the potentially fatal injuries that could occur during these fights is certainly worth highlighting in my opinion.

Just when you didnt think it possible, those TV license ads have gotten even more fkn stupid... And they wonder why nobody wants to give them any more money.. ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

did he really say feb the 31st

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Zero point talking about anything traveller related unless they are part of the discussion...otherwise you just give bigots a platform

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Bard wrote: »
    It's disappointing to hear Duffy fall back on such a relatively 'safe' topic but it's fair to say that it's clearly of interest to a very large number of people so I can see, from a producer point of view, why they come back to it ... although I do think they have laboured it a bit in this past week alright.

Do you think it's fair to say that the production team on Liveline are falling back on a safe bet of around 20 or so easy pickings of callers who have phoned in with their adoption stories.... easy to string them out show after show... interesting no doubt to the small minority of people effected by adoption, but not really for the rest.

Just because Liveline is covering a topic, does not mean it is of interest to a large number of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Oh there you go... "Funny" Friday is back on Friday week in "Tullamoré". Pronounced Tulla-mo-ray, no less. Whoo!

Brendan is on :)................oh shlte, it's not the brudder.

/me sighs heavily. Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

to newstalk..

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Oh there you go... "Funny" Friday is back on Friday week in "Tullamoré". Pronounced Tulla-mo-ray, no less. Whoo!

POST REPORTED

:D think he did.....:pac: have to listen back to that .. 'bout 60 mins in.

So he'll have to cancel it until the 33rd of March so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

no think its pronounced tullamore ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

[QUOTE=Jaysoose;77189460 This thread is about liveline and peoples take on the general rubbishness of it,NOBODY is saying adoption isnt hard for all concerned so save the moral outrage for a forum where its more appropriate. If you cant understand that this thread is a general pisstake of the show then your better off not reading.

This has been covered for days on end now and joe has offered no insight whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

Where is that stated! Just because it is for you doesn't mean it is for everyone else, I have seen some insightful and intelligent debate on this forum over the last while and will continue to comment as I see fit, if and when I want to, I don't expect to hear Sunday World type tabloid thrash on LL though, that is well covered by the likes of FM104 .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement