Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline Thread (15/02/2012 to 01/05/2012)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

yeah you could be right, but i'd sooner get hit by a regulated boxing glove then somebodys bare fist, these guys were fighting for over an hour at times with no protection whatsoever, i personally think the effects of that is a serious topic that should've been discussed but he washed over it like nobody even mentioned it.

At least with regulated boxing, medical support is at hand....don`t think i seen any ambulances or Red Cross near the scenes of the fights last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

I found myself listening to Derek Mooney there a minute ago (it's alright, it's off now).

In amongst the nonsensical chat the annoying assistant presenter asked Mooney which side of the bed he slept on for some reason. He made some quip about sleeping alone.

Then a listener texted in to say she'd happily share his bed, and he rather awkwardly said something along the lines of how bored she would be, and how little she should expect from the experience.

Is he not officially out of the closet? How out of touch are the people who listen to his show?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

signostic wrote: »
    That`s your opinion, i would`nt exactly call today's show riveting because for one the subject has been covered for most of last week,
    Last nights bare knuckle fighting was only aired briefly and dropped like a hot potato when it needed serious discussion

Probably wasnt riveting but I don't see see Live Line going down the sensationalist route of the likes of FM104 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Off-topic/argumentative posts by europa11 and technocentral deleted. Cut it out both of you or action will be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Just listening to the podcast now and three things have occured to me while listening to this posh one from D4.

1. Does she not realise the item with yer man and the Nigerian embassy from Friday was a prank. :rolleyes:

2. Aren't D4 problems worlds apart from the rest of us...

3. Joe asked her "can you prove it?" when she claimed there was no planning permission for the Georgian Embassy - Since when did you need 'proof' while making wild accusations on Liveline?!? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

the bare knuckle discussion reminded me of this:

http://soundcloud.com/off-the-ball/liveline-and-the-ufc

".....blood?....real blood....."

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

syklops wrote: »
    I lasted 6 minutes into Mooney and then he burst into song singing Jedward and so I had to turn it off.
    sudzs wrote: »
    Brenda anouncing she had a stain on her upper lip was enough for me! :(

Brenda.

Enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Am relatively new to this thread and despite being from Clontarf and having a mother called Mary I still find it hilarious, there has to be a few comedy script writers among you!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭kevmol88

Funniest thread around-Not to be taken too seriously :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hmm, Joe Duffy snubbed by Nigerian Embassey.

Not the first time !

What happened yesterday re the Nigerian embassy? I missed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

vicwatson wrote: »
    Not the first time !

What happened yesterday re the Nigerian embassy? I missed it.

The researchers rang on Friday and were told, "Their all in meetings". They rang again on Monday and was told no-one was coming on the show.

"A committee is a group of people who individually can do nothing but collectively can decide that no-one is going to talk to Joe"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Wwhat joyous offerings has Joe in store for us today, if its about adoption the radio is going off. Will follow thread until it stops, really can't take it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Wwhat joyous offerings has Joe in store for us today, if its about adoption the radio is going off.

ah here, if he starts talking about adoptions again I'm just gonna switch off.. One sample story was enough to explain about adoptions, anything else should be done off line.. I mean nobody other than those directly involved in adoption needed to know the granular detail they went in to about the birth certificate. It just wasnt relevant to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

He's been tweeting about some award that B&H or some other cigarette company got, so maybe that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

The researchers rang on Friday and were told, "Their all in meetings". They rang again on Monday and was told no-one was coming on the show.

i still prefer them to Tracker Mortgage holders.

ah here, if he starts talking about adoptions again I'm just gonna switch off.. One sample story was enough to explain about adoptions, anything else should be done off line.. I mean nobody other than those directly involved in adoption needed to know the granular detail they went in to about the birth certificate. It just wasnt relevant to the public.

plus Eleventy billion!

There are days when Liveline morphs from national radio into a phone tap on the Samaritan Hotline. I am all for people bringing worthy stories to the national attention, but what often happens is the first person, for example, is looking for their adoptive mother and so rings liveline. Fine. What happened last week is dozens of people who are adopted rang up to tell 'their story'. Thats not a national issue. thats something to talk about at therapy. It was the same with the industrial school. One person rang up with a specific complaint, and then we had a week of other people who had had bad times at industrial schools. Now I dont want to belittle people who have been abused, or people who have been adopted, or people who have had crappy lives, but liveline should(could) be about fixing real problems for people.

Listening to one person talk about the abuse inflicted on them by one faceless teacher thirty years ago does not help anyone.

I'd love to stick a bomb under that lad's .. *ahem* .. Auris.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Break open the fund so

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The fund will be opened if he's adopted.

• Advertisement

"They want your money"

Cant believe Joe is taking this line :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

plus Eleventy billion!

There are days when Liveline morphs from national radio into a phone tap on the Samaritan Hotline. I am all for people bringing worthy stories to the national attention, but what often happens is the first person, for example, is looking for their adoptive mother and so rings liveline. Fine. What happened last week is dozens of people who are adopted rang up to tell 'their story'. Thats not a national issue. thats something to talk about at therapy. It was the same with the industrial school. One person rang up with a specific complaint, and then we had a week of other people who had had bad times at industrial schools. Now I dont want to belittle people who have been abused, or people who have been adopted, or people who have had crappy lives, but liveline should(could) be about fixing real problems for people.

Listening to one person talk about the abuse inflicted on them by one faceless teacher thirty years ago does not help anyone.

It might give other people the courage to come forward so it may very well help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

"And did I mention he's adopted Joe?"

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

This woman isn't facing up to the reality of the situation. Sad really. Hardly a national issue

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Gosh so sad, have to say I don't blame her, if it was my husband I'd want to try and do everything. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

Secondaries on the liver = not a hope unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Is it just me or is there some piece of information she is holding back.

Tough story, my mother could have continued with treatment when she had cancer but she realised it was futile and decided the best was to just give up. Wish them both the best all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

She is torturing herself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

What is Joe saying,is he saying that you should just give up,he should be encouraging her to do everything she can and help her.

• Advertisement

Joe isnt even bothering to put on his "Empathetic Joe" head today.. it's like this woman has rang with a marketing survey while he was having his tea and jaffa cakes, and he doesnt really want to talk to her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement