Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken item and no reciept.

Options
  • 15-02-2012 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

I bought Skullcandy headphones in HMV just over a month ago. They broke after three weeks. I've searched just about everywhere for the reciept but I can't find it, so I'm assuming I dumped it. I payed by cash, so there's no record (as far as I know). I've just assumed it's pointless trying to get them replaced but I'd be delighted if someone could let me know if I'm wrong and there is something I can do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MangoLime

Best thing to do is to go in and ask them. They might offer you an exchange for a new pair depending on what the store policy is.

Tip: Be really nice and polite. If you whinge and moan they'll be less willing to help you.

Oh and make sure you hang onto your receipts in future. Keep them in a drawer or something.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Legally, the shop do not have to deal with you as you have no proof of purchase. But there is no harm in asking nicely.

If that fails, you could try contacting SkullCandy directly.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

Working in retail I can say that they don't have to give you a refund. However, if you are nice to them, they may replace them. First question my manager always asks when I ask to ok a replacement that isn't within normal terms/legal entitlements is whether the customer is nice and polite. I'd advise going in when it's quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 bellieella

I think if an item is faulty you don't need a receipt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

bellieella wrote: »

But how do you prove they sold you the item and not some other shop? This would only work if it was branded e.g M&S clothes.

Maybe if you still have the packaging with the HMV price tag it could help OP? I would ask them very courteously for an exchange, it won't hurt to try...

• Advertisement

bellieella wrote: »

I'm afraid this is not the case, you are required to supply proof of purchase. When an item is faulty, you do not need to return the original packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Buy a new pair the same. Bring back the broken pair with the receipt and ask for a refund as you are not happy with the quality.

wingnut Please don't advocate dishonest behaviour

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

wingnut wrote: »
    Buy a new pair the same. Bring back the broken pair with the receipt and ask for a refund as you are not happy with the quality.

The shop would be within their rights to offer a replacement, not a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Pythia wrote: »
    Maybe if you still have the packaging with the HMV price tag it could help OP? I would ask them very courteously for an exchange, it won't hurt to try...

I wish I had. Unfortunatly that got dumped about 15 minutes after I bought them.
    wingnut wrote: »

I can't say that the thought hadn't crossed my mind. But I can't afford new ones, nor do I want a second set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

dudara wrote: »
    wingnut Please don't advocate dishonest behaviour

dudara

I wouldn't consider it dishonest if the item is in warranty. It would only be dishonest if the item was out of warranty.

Advertisement