Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone useless

• 15-02-2012 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I have just arrived back from Canada. I was living there for a few years. I bought an iPhone 4 on contract to Telus(contract finished) only for them to tell me that they don't and will never unlock iPhones.
    So basically now I have a useless iPhone or a very expensive iTouch.

Whats the best thing to do with it? What about those websites that offer money for phones? Or maybe ebay?

It can't be unlocked via software as its the most updated baseband and on os 5.0.1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Mitch31 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have just arrived back from Canada. I was living there for a few years. I bought an iPhone 4 on contract to Telus(contract finished) only for them to tell me that they don't and will never unlock iPhones.
    So basically now I have a useless iPhone or a very expensive iTouch.

Whats the best thing to do with it? What about those websites that offer money for phones? Or maybe ebay?

It can't be unlocked via software as its the most updated baseband and on os 5.0.1

there is a way to unlock it, pending on the carrier. But it can cost like €100 maybe more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mitch31

kjl wrote: »
    there is a way to unlock it, pending on the carrier. But it can cost like €100 maybe more.

What way is that? I wouldn't mind paying as I don't want to buy an iPhone here as it means being stuck in another contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Don't know if you are still reading this Mitch but it looks like grevey sim are going to release a new sim which will allow you to unlock your phone

http://www.jailbreakplus.com/gevey-sim-for-unlock-4.11.08-baseband-in-testing-stage/

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭php-fox

You can also Jailbreak it. That will give a sim-free phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

php-fox wrote: »
    No it won't!

kjl wrote: »
    Don't know if you are still reading this Mitch but it looks like grevey sim are going to release a new sim which will allow you to unlock your phone

http://www.jailbreakplus.com/gevey-sim-for-unlock-4.11.08-baseband-in-testing-stage/

Well thats good news, hopefully it will be released soon. Thanks man.

Maybe this poster meant that if the phone is jailbroken you can use it without having any sim in it?? All I know is jailbreaking does not unlock the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

Which would mean no anti-virus on the iPhone so it may get a virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

StereoLove wrote: »

Maybe it's just me but I've never heard of a virus on an iPhone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

How on earth do you think a sim free or jail broken phone would get a virus. Afaik there hasn't being one to date and I've never had any trouble in the last 2-3 years with jailbroken iPhones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Oh dear.......

[URL="[IMG]http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx124/waynedodrill/miscellaneous/9195ad4a.jpg[/IMG]"]9195ad4a.jpg[/URL]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

If you read that website correctly, it actually says unavailable for most networks, there's only like 5 networks that iP4's can be unlocked on as far as that website goes. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

Mitch31 wrote: »
    Maybe this poster meant that if the phone is jailbroken you can use it without having any sim in it?? All I know is jailbreaking does not unlock the phone.

most jailbreak will offer a unlock with most device's but as far as i know the iphone 4 is still lacking that on the latest firmware/ baseband only option is a gevey for now but im open to correction :)

apple devices wont get a virus as they are designed that way iphone's are no different so dont go down loading security app's :)

anyone dumb enough to fall for that deserves to lose there money anything you need to know about unlocking or jailbreaking can be found here along with other site's of the same nature

moggser wrote: »
    most jailbreak will offer a unlock with most device's but as far as i know the iphone 4 is still lacking that on the latest firmware/ baseband only option is a gevey for now but im open to correction :)
    Any iPhone officially updated to ios5 will not be on an unlock able baseband unless they using a 3G/3GS device and update to the undesirable iPad baseband 06.15.00 with is irreversible and can permanently damage your phone.
    anyone dumb enough to fall for that deserves to lose there money anything you need to know about unlocking or jailbreaking can be found here along with other site's of the same nature
    As far as I've read online unlockallcelular.com have contacts in a lot of mobile networks and they can request official unlocks on the networks behalf just like cutyoursim.com can also do, nothing to do with jail breaking or software unlocks, it's not a scam, they only do certain networks and I thought they did Canada but they actually don't.
    I've no personal experience with them mind you but both mentioned sites have a good reputation.
    LukeS_ wrote: »
    If you read that website correctly, it actually says unavailable for most networks, there's only like 5 networks that iP4's can be unlocked on as far as that website goes. :pac:

Sorry read it incorrectly
    Interesting though cut you sim do Irish unlocks and some of them seem very reasonable

whatever jailbreaking method is used has nothing to do with an unlock being available or not, ultrasn0w is the only unlock available through cydia and depends solely on baseband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

guil wrote: »
    whatever jailbreaking method is used has nothing to do with an unlock being available or not, ultrasn0w is the only unlock available through cydia and depends solely on baseband

yeah thats what i meant just didnt say it right....but ya do have to jailbreak to get ultrasn0w right ?

yup

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement