Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welfare food box scheme.

Options
  • 15-02-2012 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I read from the latest observer issue that welfare has plans to introduce a food box scheme.

Essentially the plan is that students would pay 10 euro at the start of the week in return for a box containing four portions of meat, vegetables and recipes for each day.

This sound like a great idea imho.

Great value and it will encourage healthier eating practices.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? I'd love to see it happen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

It probably is a great idea, especially seeing as Centra is kind of expensive, with little selection. Sometimes my face does this :eek: when I see how much my total comes to at the till. I know I could go to Tesco but it's oh so far away :rolleyes:

Also, so many people rely on ready meals, oven pizzas etc. so they never learn to cook. Giving them the raw ingredients and instructions on what to do with them will help them learn to survive without a microwave :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Sounds good, will there be a free condom in every one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Absolutely brilliant idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

EmilyO wrote: »
    It probably is a great idea, especially seeing as Centra is kind of expensive, with little selection. Sometimes my face does this :eek: when I see how much my total comes to at the till. I know I could go to Tesco but it's oh so far away :rolleyes:

Also, so many people rely on ready meals, oven pizzas etc. so they never learn to cook. Giving them the raw ingredients and instructions on what to do with them will help them learn to survive without a microwave :D

In fairness I'd say cooking in those UCD kitchens is a nightmare. They're so badly designed with little space for chopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

In fairness I'd say cooking in those UCD kitchens is a nightmare. They're so badly designed with little space for chopping.

A lot the veg is actually pre-chopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

Great idea which leads me to believe it won't be implemented!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

Not much good unless they include a person to use it on in the box too :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Well the kitchens in Belgrove are actually quite big, and Glenomena's not bad. It might only be Merville where prep space might be an issue.

As someone else said, the veg is chopped anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

I wouldn't go near someone's meat without a condom.

/quiet lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

I cant stress this enough.
    Pan of bread in tesco - 65c.
    Big tub of luncheon- 3 euro
    Tub of butter- 1.40
    Bottle of water from fountain in library- free

lunch for the week sorted

(maybe an oul bit of lettuce if your mad for your fruit and veg)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gradlife

We're talking about dinner, not lunch. You can't live off sandwiches. Also luncheon meat is code for ground pig testicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

My pre-made meals are fairly cheap as it is.

Shopping List

Bus fare to parents house EUR 1.90

TOTAL EUR 1.90

• Registered Users Posts: 36 icicle2000

I like the idea, but as a vegetarian with a few food intolerances, I'm interested in whether they would cater to different diets, or if it's a one-size-fits-all thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Meow_Meow wrote: »
    Not much good unless they include a person to use it on in the box too :p

I think that UCD condoning prostitution would be frowned upon though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Thought it read scam instead of scheme. I'm sorely disappointed now.

But it runs in UCC as well but from an outside company, you text your order the week before and then show up to a location on campus and get your bundle. It's pretty good if you're lazy about shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

any further development on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

EmilyO wrote: »
    I know I could go to Tesco but it's oh so far away :rolleyes:

Friend of mine orders online from Tesco and gets it delivered. He and a few mates just cover the delivery and says it works out pretty cheaply.

Advertisement