Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science

Options
  • 15-02-2012 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

I have this course down on my CAO and I'm wondering what the Maths is like on the course or is there any at all? Currently doing HL and hoping for a C3 but may drop down to OL by the end of the year

And I hear you get work placement in 3rd year. This may be a stupid question but I was wondering if you this is paid work placement?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

There is a maths module in 1st and 2nd year and then an optional one in 3rd if you don't take the work placement although I think the course has had a slight overhaul since i finished so don't take that as definite. The actual maths isn't too difficult, I got around a C1 in ordinary maths for LC and I got through it ok.

The work placement in 3rd year is paid, or at least was when I was there, I don't know if this has changed but it was guaranteed paid when I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

As a first year in this course I can confirm the bits grimm is unsure of above, maths in 1st and 2nd years, not sure about third, I can't see anything about maths in the course document for 3rd year. The maths in first year isn't too bad, as long as you come along to the majority of classes and put a decent amount of time into.

And yes, the work placement is still paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

Nice one lads. I'd say I'll be definately doing this course.

And I forgot to ask. What are the hours like in first year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Nice one lads. I'd say I'll be definately doing this course.

And I forgot to ask. What are the hours like in first year?

Your timetable will change every semester but you'll be in everyday from between 9 and 11 till 3 - 5 as far as I could remember with a few breaks inbetween and certain exceptions here and there. I think its about 22 hours a week. We had a particularly ****ty timetable one of the days in first year where their was a 4 hour break between one class and the next (we usually went to the cinema or something during those days). I can only imagine they've fixed that though with the amount of complaining we and probably subsequent years did. Mo14 should be able to give you a more accurate response though as it's been years since I was in 1st year.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

This semester for me the hours are not bad at all, off on Tuesday at 2, only 3 hours on a Thursday, however there's a five hour break between the 2nd and 3rd hours of class that day(so it hasn't been fixed grimm!). That's not a downside from me as I'm only a 25 minute walk from college, but if you had to stay in college for five hours doing nothing it'd get very boring. The other days are pretty much 9-4 with an hour or two break in the middle of the day. Obviously it changes every semester and different groups get nicer times, luck of the draw really. 23 class hours a week this semester. (semester 2, year 1).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

maths is handy, in first and second year..

basically show up and pay attention and you should be fine.. although the lecturer in 2nd year can be quite frustrating..

in general the timetable isnt too bad although they are very slow to let you know about changes

Advertisement