Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow internet

Options
  • 15-02-2012 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,214 ✭✭✭✭

We are on a 4MB Eircom product and up until a couple of weeks ago it was pretty consistently at about 60-75ms ping and speeds of 3.40-50MB, for a few weeks now the ping has been at insane levels, like 300ms levels, the bandwidth speeds have been very erratic too, getting as high as 3.80 and as low as 2.5. I've tried many things to fix it, changed the security, channel and disabled firewalls, nothing seems to be working. Is there something I haven't thought of or would it be a problem with the router which is a few years old at this stage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Liam O wrote: »
    We are on a 4MB Eircom product and up until a couple of weeks ago it was pretty consistently at about 60-75ms ping and speeds of 3.40-50MB, for a few weeks now the ping has been at insane levels, like 300ms levels, the bandwidth speeds have been very erratic too, getting as high as 3.80 and as low as 2.5. I've tried many things to fix it, changed the security, channel and disabled firewalls, nothing seems to be working. Is there something I haven't thought of or would it be a problem with the router which is a few years old at this stage?

Hi Liam O,

If you PM me with your eircom telephone number I can run a few checks on the line.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi Liam,

Thanks for post. Myself I like to troubleshoot the old fashion way. Take the wheels off the bike as it's easier to get at the gears.

With this in mind : Why don't you try the following :

Shut down completely all your computer devices except, one laptop for example. Plug this into your modem. Make sure you connect it over Ethernet cable. Disable or exit all applications - anti-virus, firewall(s), Skype, etc, etc. Sometimes exiting these programmes is quite a task as they always appear to be running in the background on a computer device. Any way, once you've done this you're almost ready for testing your true connection speed.

No point in getting an incorrect connection speed - when you have a bunch of computers sharing your bandwidth. For e.g : iPad in the Kitchen, a Games Console wirelessly connected in the bedroom and a PC connected somewhere else. The 3 devices will obviously share your bandwidth and you won't get a true connection speed. Use one PC only.

You may also wish to check if you have spyware ; what TCP & UDP sesions established /listening on your computer. The following youtube video will give you an idea how to run the 'netstat -a' command from your command prompt -

Check Spyware on your PC

Take a look at this video - If you have more than 15 TCP /UDP sessions then you'll need to check your computer (make sure you maximize the command prompt screen to view all the sessions). This may be the source of your issue and may save you a lot time in the end. If you do have more sessions open then you will need to remove these first before you start troubleshooting other areas of your Local network connection.

You can also call directly into Technical Support. They can run some quick sync and connection tests and clarify if your PC is the source of the issue.

To save time before you may need to call them, take a look at the following Support link on our New eircom Forum - community.eircom.net

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).
    Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow up. Also, let me know your case id and I can follow this up with the Support Team.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 19,214 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

there appears to be a lot of ports listening/established or in time_wait when I do that netstat test, how many would be innocuous and how would I go about blocking them? Neither the windows test or the Webroot test is returning any results of threats to the computer though...

EDIT: It appears to have sorted itself out. Just had to reset the wireless on my laptop. Sorry for the trouble...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

there appears to be a lot of ports listening/established or in time_wait when I do that netstat test, how many would be innocuous and how would I go about blocking them? Neither the windows test or the Webroot test is returning any results of threats to the computer though...

EDIT: It appears to have sorted itself out. Just had to reset the wireless on my laptop. Sorry for the trouble...

No worries,

Thanks for getting back to us and ketting us know.

Mark

Advertisement