Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cartoons/fairytales as an adult you realise are violent

• 15-02-2012 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/traditional-fairy-tales-scary-children-140000730.html

As many as one in five parents say they don't read traditional fairy tales to their young children as they think they're "too scary," a survey has revealed.

The poll of 2,000 parents by TV channel Watch, also found that nearly half of parents refuse to read Rumpelstiltskin or Rapunzel to their children because they featured kidnapping and executions.

A third of parents questioned said that Little Red Riding Hood - where the grandmother is gobbled by a wolf - had left their child in tears.

Goldilocks and the Three Bears was thought to condone stealing by some parents, others thought that Jack and the Beanstalk was "too unrealistic," while the term "dwarfs" in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was thought to be unsuitable, the Daily Mail reported.

Even Cinderella raised concerns among parents, as 52 per cent of those surveyed thought it outdated because the main character is a young woman doing housework all day.

I always loved tom and jerry and roadrunner- and now when my nieces watch it i freak because its actually very violent- it shows animals being squashed/burned/shot etc and they are alive again a minute later. I loved it as a kid- but now having my nieces watch it im not so sure

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Jack and the Beanstalk, I used to love him but he turned into a right prick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

while the term "dwarfs" in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was thought to be unsuitable

Ah Snow White and the Seven Little People..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Peppa Pig has deep homosexual undertones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Son of a diddly, kids should not be watching those types of cartoon-a-rinos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

:eek: Some parents are stupid!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I guess Happy Tree Friends.

I always assumed it was a nature documentary

(Possibly NSFW... esp. if you work in a montessori)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I've never watched it, go on?

Kids need a bit less sheltering than some people think necessary (-I'm always having to double check the spelling of this ****ing word! Why!). Censoring fairy tales is just not on. I think half the point of those old stories was to scare kids and leave an impression/teach a lesson.
    Better than watching a retarted purple dinosaur imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

"Peppa Pig is a UK animated television series about the life of an anthropomorphic pig, Peppa, and her family. Peppa Pig and her family and friends are all anthropomorphized animals drawn in such a stylised fashion that their heads are always in profile, creating the impression of both eyes being on the same side of their face. They wear clothes, live in houses and drive cars, but still display some characteristics of the animals on which they are based. Peppa and her family snort like pigs during conversations and also like to jump in muddy puddles. The other animals also make their respective appropriate noises when they talk. One exception to the rule of human-like habitation is the rabbit family, who live in a burrow in a hill, although it does have windows.

Peppa's family consists of Daddy Pig (who is a bit bumbling and eats too much), Mummy Pig (who is far more sensible and practical than Daddy), Peppa, and her little brother George. There are also a Grandpa and Grandma Pig, but it is not clear if they are Daddy or Mummy Pig's parents.'

Case closed. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Rumplestiltskin

I said enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Once a taste for 80s slashers was developed the cartoons kinda paled u know .. them things only beginning to seem violent now?! Its back to the womb for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Bambi's mother got shot

Gulp :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Once upon a time there lived in Denmark a great storyteller named Hans Christian Andersen.

My fav story,from the master of storytelling!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

We are not born with a fear of the dark one expert said but we learn it from others . A lot of childrens stories have more horror than anything in adult literature .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/traditional-fairy-tales-scary-children-140000730.html

As many as one in five parents say they don't read traditional fairy tales to their young children as they think they're "too scary," a survey has revealed.

The poll of 2,000 parents by TV channel Watch, also found that nearly half of parents refuse to read Rumpelstiltskin or Rapunzel to their children because they featured kidnapping and executions.

A third of parents questioned said that Little Red Riding Hood - where the grandmother is gobbled by a wolf - had left their child in tears.

Goldilocks and the Three Bears was thought to condone stealing by some parents, others thought that Jack and the Beanstalk was "too unrealistic," while the term "dwarfs" in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was thought to be unsuitable, the Daily Mail reported.

Even Cinderella raised concerns among parents, as 52 per cent of those surveyed thought it outdated because the main character is a young woman doing housework all day.

Grimms fairy tales (which they didn't write but collected and wrote down) and other such tales were the Urburn legends/horror stories/morality plays of their day. They were told to frighten people and get them to behave and not go into the woods, not to wander, not to want things too much. They were always dark and twisted, then Dinsey happened....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimm%27s_Fairy_Tales
    The first volumes were much criticized because, although they were called "Children's Tales", they were not regarded as suitable for children, both for the scholarly information included and the subject matter.[1] Many changes through the editions – such as turning the wicked mother of the first edition in Snow White and Hansel and Gretel to a stepmother, were probably made with an eye to such suitability. They removed sexual references—such as Rapunzel's innocently asking why her dress was getting tight around her belly, and thus naïvely revealing her pregnancy and the prince's visits to her stepmother—but, in many respects, violence, particularly when punishing villains, was increased.[2]

In 1825 the Brothers published their Kleine Ausgabe or "small edition," a selection of 50 tales designed for child readers. This children's version went through ten editions between 1825 and 1858.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Hot Lips wrote: »
    Once upon a time there lived in Denmark a great storyteller named Hans Christian Andersen.

My fav story,from the master of storytelling!

Have read the orginal edition of the red shoes, were the protagonist dances herself to death?

Or that of the little mermaid, were every step she took with her new legs resulted in pain like knives were being driven up into her feet, oh and she lost her soul and was forever doomed to be a ghost?

And then there is the little matchgirl who dies to make people feel better that they won't.

Yes wonderful stories for children.

Advertisement