Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Limits Dated ?

Options
  • 15-02-2012 5:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

FAO : Eircom

Why is that that in fact we are paying for an 8mb line, and only receiving 6mb ?

I have had monitoring scripts on my router the last two months and not once has my speed even flicked into the 7mb region. This is a little strange considering that while I was with Vodafone it was a steady 8mb line so there is no issue with infrastructure in our area.

Also, I received a lovely bill for exceeding a usage allowance of 10GB...

Need I even mention that this day and age 10GB is an allowance that might suffice for a mobile device, but a household with 1 or more computers its just not "next generation" is it ? I might be wrong but even in the days of "irish broadband" the limit was 20GB..

I steam netflix, others in the house might use itunes, youtube, skype even facebook apps.. The odd time i may need to work from home, im uploading files to a work server.. And you limit it to 10GB... I have USB dongles that hold more data that that.

I will be changing to another company i dont particularly care ho as it cant be as dated and overpriced (imo) as eircom,
    but i do want to know why you advertise 8mb, yet nobody receives it ?
    And why DO you have a USAGE limit in this day and age ?

By the way this is not about money, i will be changing anyway, but its also more expensive for an 8mb line limited to 10GB with eircom that a 25mb line and no usage limit with someone else(wont mention but more than 1) ????? Im confused.. It seems we irish are still getting scr*wed.

/rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

A friend used to sell vodafone home broadband and filled me in on this. They advertise "up to" 8mb or 24mb but not a definite u will get it. So if your line is only capable of 3.4mb and u buy and "up to" 8mb packae your will only ever get max of 3.4mb.

But on top of that eircom have a 1:48 line attenuation an they throttle the speeds especially for those who go over their dl limit. Once upon a time ericoms min dl limit was 40gb but since jan last year or so its now a 8mb dl limit.

This is because most people go over the 10gb dl lmiit and they can screw you with a 2 euro charge for each gb or part there of you are over the limit. I said in another thread they owned by Singapore Telecom and Eircom as a business is a crap and bleeding money.

My friend signed me up to a VF home BB 8mb pack with 40gb dl limit and if u go over u pay 1 euro per gb but they have great gb addon packs, admittitedly they also sell "up to" speeds but 99% of the time they deliver those speeds, they cant be held accountable for lines breaking down as thats the nature of the beast.

In short Eircom are sh!te, VF are good.

Imagine/Wiimax are a pile of rubbish also, another friend had them and lets just say a long story wit that one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

why not just sign upto NGB with 250GB usage.if 10 isnt enough?

Aswell Eircom dont charge for over usage on the 250GB they will charge if you go over 10GB..

This is why when i was signing upto NGB i made sure not to go for the NGB basic which only had 10GB per month

jay93 wrote: »

Aswell Eircom dont charge for over usage on the 250GB they will charge if you go over 10GB..

This is why when i was signing upto NGB i made sure not to go for the NGB basic which only had 10GB per month

Yeah and u pay more for that then the 40 euro i pay VF for my 8mb 40gig dl limit, plus u also pay line rental and i pay none to VF.

You really should look at your bill and break things down individually, when i was shown what i used to pay Eircom it was a kick in the teeth.

Wish their bloody reps would stop calling every 3 months asking me to come back, i keep telling them they are crap and yet those fools still try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Devils advocate but would people not just read the small print

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Yeah and u pay more for that then the 40 euro i pay VF for my 8mb 40gig dl limit, plus u also pay line rental and i pay none to VF.

You really should look at your bill and break things down individually, when i was shown what i used to pay Eircom it was a kick in the teeth.

Wish their bloody reps would stop calling every 3 months asking me to come back, i keep telling them they are crap and yet those fools still try.

The ad on the vodafone page for the 8mb/40gig package states "No Line Rental", but directly underneath that it says "Its included in the Price" Vodafone rent the line from Eircom, then pass the rental cost onto you. An example would be my parents, they pay 18 euro per month for the same package you are on. But as they are pensioners they get an allowance to cover most of the rental cost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Buster23

I signed up to Eircom as a new customer from a new house, new estate, so no existing connections. I went online and ordered a package of 24mg speed for €60 a month (with free local calls etc) because we wanted to use netflix, and have internet on smart tv etc, so we got the phone line installed and about 2 weeks later the broadband/wi-fi router arrived (last week).

So I was watching you tube and it kept stopping every 2 seconds, so I think, somethings wrong here. I rang Eircom last nite, only to be told that my phone line (newly installed) only supports 1mg broadband and they switched my price plan to a €40 a month plan, this is the first I've heard of it, only when I rang THEM! So, obviously, Im not prepared to pay €40 a month for 1mg of Broadband thats no use to me for anything other than internet browsing.

But the woman I was speaking to from Eircom said I was tied to a contract? How can I be if I signed up for 24mg price plan, I can only get 1mg, they changed my price plan without notifying me and its not what I wanted in the first place? Any advice please, I am goin to ring them again this evening and try to cancell? Is the onus not on Eircom to test the Broadband line on a new connection (I obviously could not do that myself since it was a new connection) and if it did not support the connection I wanted, to ring me and advise me before they took it on themselves to just change my price plan?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

a 24 mbit rated line should do minimum 10 mbits

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KoRn101

jay93 wrote: »

In my case, it wasnt about the package price or anything, it was about that when eircom rang me asking me to come back etc etc pleading i said ok, went through the package and absolutely no mention of a usage limit. I didnt even think of it because i didnt think it would be possible to still have a download limit.

I understand that no company is perfect, and someone always has something to say about a company, but come on.. Is a 10GB limit not a bit ridiculous ? Or is it just me ?

KoRn101 wrote: »
    In my case, it wasnt about the package price or anything, it was about that when eircom rang me asking me to come back etc etc pleading i said ok, went through the package and absolutely no mention of a usage limit. I didnt even think of it because i didnt think it would be possible to still have a download limit.

It depends on what they offered, get a recording of the contract from eircom ( they must have a copy if negotiated by phone...thems the rules.)

If you were misled by the sales rep then you have a case. PM Mark with your details and ask him to email you a copy of the recording.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It depends on what they offered, get a recording of the contract from eircom ( they must have a copy if negotiated by phone...thems the rules.)

If you were misled by the sales rep then you have a case. PM Mark with your details and ask him to email you a copy of the recording.

If it was mentioned that the line contract was "up to" you are screwed. If the sales rep didnt mention this then you have them by the balls for breach of contract.

• Advertisement

You got them tight by the second nad if they said that the contract was unlimited 8mbit and they promptly sold you the 'unlimited' 10gb cap not the 'unlimited' 250Gb cap (conveniently also up to 8mbits) which is a whole 25 times less limited. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Why not get the 8Mbit unlimited package? You don't have to stay on the 10GB package...

As for the upto... that's just DSL technology. Nothing to do with Eircom. It's physically impossible to offer everyone 24Mbit.

A friend used to sell vodafone home broadband and filled me in on this. They advertise "up to" 8mb or 24mb but not a definite u will get it. So if your line is only capable of 3.4mb and u buy and "up to" 8mb packae your will only ever get max of 3.4mb.

But on top of that eircom have a 1:48 line attenuation an they throttle the speeds especially for those who go over their dl limit. Once upon a time ericoms min dl limit was 40gb but since jan last year or so its now a 8mb dl limit.

This is because most people go over the 10gb dl lmiit and they can screw you with a 2 euro charge for each gb or part there of you are over the limit. I said in another thread they owned by Singapore Telecom and Eircom as a business is a crap and bleeding money.

My friend signed me up to a VF home BB 8mb pack with 40gb dl limit and if u go over u pay 1 euro per gb but they have great gb addon packs, admittitedly they also sell "up to" speeds but 99% of the time they deliver those speeds, they cant be held accountable for lines breaking down as thats the nature of the beast.

In short Eircom are sh!te, VF are good.

Imagine/Wiimax are a pile of rubbish also, another friend had them and lets just say a long story wit that one too.

That post just makes no sense at all. 1:48 attenuation?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KoRn101

gpf101 wrote: »
    Why not get the 8Mbit unlimited package? You don't have to stay on the 10GB package...

As for the upto... that's just DSL technology. Nothing to do with Eircom. It's physically impossible to offer everyone 24Mbit.

That post just makes no sense at all. 1:48 attenuation?

i understand its not possible right now to offer everyone 24mb, but it IS possible to offer 8mb stable.

Also this is not a legal issue where i want to "go after" eircom, im not too concerned about that.. Im just shocked at the overcharging of eircom for such a poor service.

And 10EUR per gig you are over the Usage (thats upload + download combined!) is bizarre. How come eircom havent commented on this issue ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

i understand its not possible right now to offer everyone 24mb, but it IS possible to offer 8mb stable.

Also this is not a legal issue where i want to "go after" eircom, im not too concerned about that.. Im just shocked at the overcharging of eircom for such a poor service.

And 10EUR per gig you are over the Usage (thats upload + download combined!) is bizarre. How come eircom havent commented on this issue ?

Hi KoRn101,

The Next Generation broadband packages are all classed as "up to 8MB".

The NGB is still subject to line and exchange limitations however as the service is "uncongested" It will provide as close to the maximum speed on each individual line day or night.

The NGB roll-out was a way to improve the broadband service on a wide scale across the nation.

I appreciate customers may not be getting the speeds that they may have hoped for but is definite improvement / progress.

The NGB packages available are based on usage rather than speeds as was the case with the standard bitstream packages. So the NGB basic is available to customers who may only use the internet for basic browsing exc..

The NGB Regular is only an additional €5 for 250GB usage per month as opposed to the 10GB limit on the basic package. (Which is a significant increase for the additional price)

I hope this answered your queries.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Sorry, I must be missing something here. It's €5 a month extra for unlimited upto 8Mb broadband. Why are you on the basic package with 10Gb monthly limit? Surely you'd just pay the €5 extra for the unlimited package if there was any doubt. That basic package is unsuitable for all but the most occasional user.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Alan666

I have a big issue with Eircom and downright antiquated DL limit. Heres the deal, Eircom can only provide me with max 3MB speed package, which Im reasonably OK about, however what I am absolutely furious about is the disgraceful 30GB monthly download cap. We have different devices from Phones, to Ipods to Xbox and a PC connected, and this ridiculous limit is half what we need. Can I even offer more money to Eircom for an "ad on" for more DL capacity? No, it doesnt exist. Im happy to pay more for a higher package, they cant provide it, but the ridiculous structure of their package is such that there is zero flexibility to increase my limit, even if Im willing to pay a little extra. No wonder they are in financial trouble, with infelxible product combos like this. Id move to Vodafone in a heartbeat only I have heard too many stories (yes they might be the excpetion but working from home I just cant afford any downtime or hassle with my fairly constant 2.5MB speed). Eircom, you absolutely suck as far as peddling a "next generation" front to your antiquated products. This is TWO THOUSAND AND TWELVE dammit. 30GB? C'mon.

Advertisement