Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oils on pizza

Options
  • 15-02-2012 7:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed some of the better pizza places (i.e. not Domonos or Pizza Hut) put some kind of oil on the pizza. This oil appears to be a red/orange colour, but I am not sure if that is due to the tomato sauce.

The other thing is, I tend to always go for the hotter pizzas, with chills on it, so I was wondering if this is chili oil? Or if there is even such a thing?

Or is it just olive oil that has been coloured due to the tomato sauce?

Either way, it is utterly delicious. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Til olive oil.

Pizza Dog in Swords put olive oil on it anyway. Says it on the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I always drizzle some olive oil on pizzas before putting in the oven, both store bought and home made. Depending on my mood I might use oils infused with garlic, chillies etc. but mostly use unflavoured olive oil

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭beltzar

I completely agree.

We used to live in Poland and the pizzas were always served with tabasco and chilli oil. Yum yum yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

It could be the oil from the cheese too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dermighty wrote: »
    That what I thought, happens with lots of frozen & fresh ones. You can pour it off some of them it makes so much.

I remember getting deep pan ones in some restaurant and the oil had fallen down to the bottom of the cooking pan so the base was oily & really nice. What I do the odd time is butter the base of the pizza when it comes out of the oven still hot. Also sort of saves a base if it was overdone, as it is more like toast and not left too dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Dermighty wrote: »

Really? That's interesting. But does regular mozzarella have that much oil in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

Milano do a lovely chicken one with chilli oil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

We make our own to use when we do homemade pizzas, half bttl of olive oil & let the red chillies & garlic essentially marinate in it! YUM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Could definitely be chili oil, but if it doesn't mention it on the description on the menu & your pizza has salami or pepperoni or similar meat on it could also be the oil that comes off that type of meat in a hot oven. Would generally be a reddish colour and spicy from the chili/spice in the meat

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

A place in galway has a dish of chiili oil and garlic oil on every table to add to the pizza. Definatley adds a lovely extra flavour to the pizza. If you are in galway check it out its called Pizza Napoli on cross street

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Pizza oils are the shizzle. There's even Basil oil.

I always lash on the chilli and garlic ones onto Dave's stonebaked pizzas. It's delish.

You can buy chilli oil in Tesco's anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ElectricEchoes

I wouldn't say its the mozzarella. Usually grated mozzarella or mozzarella balls are used on pizza, the later contains a lot of water.

Like mentioned its probably chilli oil. Coming from an Italian background, I worked in an Italian pizzeria for 2 years. We used basil oil on the margherita pizza to add extra flavour. Just use 50% Olive oil and 50% sunflower oil, fresh basil leafs grinded into a paste and its ready for use. The oil gives it an added flavour with the basil, as well as preserving it. You can just alternatively brake up the basil leafs and place them on the pizza.

There are numerous methods to making spicy oils. I think the best way to add spice, is to put chilli flakes on the sauce before added the toppings.

All that aside, it could just be a squirt of olive oil put on top before it was cooked in the oven to help it cook better.

Advertisement