Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai in Larchfield

Options
  • 15-02-2012 7:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

Large part of estate cordoned off and lots of Gardai in Larchfield court estate.

Looks like big tent erected also. Any idea what the story is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Triangla wrote: »
    Large part of estate cordoned off and lots of Gardai in Larchfield court estate.

Looks like big tent erected also. Any idea what the story is?

Fatal stabbing sadly. Young man at a house party. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Christ!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Looks like two men were stabbed altogether, one died. Fairly nasty stuff.

Saw that on breakingnews.ie. One dead, one in hospital and one arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

From rte.ie
    A man has died following a stabbing incident in Kilkenny in the early hours of this morning.
    Gardaí were called to an apartment at Larchfield Court where two men, aged 21 and 27, were found with stab wounds.
    They were both taken to St Luke's Hospital, where the 21-year-man was later pronounced dead.
    The second man's injuries are not believed to be life threatening.
    A 35-year-old man, who was also in the apartment, has been arrested and is being held at Kilkenny Garda Station.

Kilkenny is getting worse and worse all the time, I fear for where its going to end up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭bassy

i know 2 of them 3 men and it does,nt surprise me one bit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

bassy wrote: »
    i know 2 of them 3 men and it does,nt surprise me one bit.

First off, my condolences to anyone who is related or knows the victims. There is to be no speculation or hearsay on the victims. Basically if you can't quote it, don't write it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

me too please.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

First off, my condolences to anyone who is related or knows the victims. There is to be no speculation or hearsay on the victims. Basically if you can't quote it, don't write it.

I'm from the area but living abroad, would like to know the names (via a PM) to see if it's anyone I know?

there not from the city,so i doubt you know them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

The deceased has been named on KCLR. He is from Durrow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I live about 50 feet away and didn't hear a thing last night, not even the guards.

I'm around the same distance away Tipsy, didn't hear a peep either.

First I knew of it was driving around the corner and being stopped by Gardai.

How many people in this country have died in the last 12 months in house parties - just go home to your bed FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

jimmurt wrote: »
    I'm from the area but living abroad, would like to know the names (via a PM) to see if it's anyone I know?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0215/kilkenny.html

Rte have named the victim.

"He has been named as 21-year-old Kieran Monaghan from Durrow in Co Laois."

There have been a few dangerous incidents now in Kilkenny in the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Not somewhere I would have expected a stabbing to happen. Its not a rough area at all

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Not somewhere I would have expected a stabbing to happen. Its not a rough area at all

As a blow in living in the area I'm glad to hear that.

I was thinking what the hell have I let myself in for moving here.

Triangla wrote: »
    As a blow in living in the area I'm glad to hear that.

I was thinking what the hell have I let myself in for moving here.

It looks like a bit of a rough area to someone from the outside (I think the handball alley creates this). But from my experience of it for 20 years now its fine. Unless the little larchfield court area is comepletely different, but some how I doubt it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

It happened over my friends apartment, never heard a thing, got some fright when the guards came knocking on the door this morning, RIP Kiernan xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Awful news to wake up to today, All these stabbings are becoming a monthly thing now. Kilkenny was always pretty much a stab free zone even more worse that it happened in the Loughboy area. Its the last place ya'd expect that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Can't believe all of this stuff is happening. I practically moved away from KK around 15 years ago and this was unheard of. But then again, it seems stuff like this is becoming more common is most Irish towns and cities.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

This is the first i'v heard of this. Why am i not surprised.

Well I am, Kilkenny is a very safe place.
    zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Awful news to wake up to today, All these stabbings are becoming a monthly thing now. Kilkenny was always pretty much a stab free zone even more worse that it happened in the Loughboy area. Its the last place ya'd expect that to happen.

No they're not becoming a monthly thing, this is the second in three months, can't remember the last one before the shop keeper in December. Kilkenny is pretty much a stab free zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Well I am, Kilkenny is a very safe place.

No they're not becoming a monthly thing, this is the second in three months, can't remember the last one before the shop keeper in December. Kilkenny is pretty much a stab free zone.
    Well they are happening more lately, I think I was thinking about the guy that got assaulted on Michael st. there 2 weeks ago, the guy got fairly bad head injuries actually. Think I just had that on my mind at the time I posted. Well either way too many people getting harmed in town these days. Yeah there was the shop keeper, some young fella on New St. got either stabbed or beaten up in October? (My memory is a bit sketchy on when exactly it happened i'm sure ya heard of it Kilkenny is a small place and word travels fast) but something did happen on New st. as I saw the place all sealed off.

Some old lady got her hip broke by some mugger while she went to mass. Another man was robbed on Mary's Lane a while back too and lets not forget the burglaries. Noticeable that crime is on the rise anyway. Ya'd want to be careful in town nowadays folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Add to that all of the burglaries that have been happening lately. It's obvious that crime is on the rise in Kilkenny at the moment. People just need to be more cautious on the streets, careful when drinking and vigilant in regard to household security.

Also, carry around a hurl covered in barbed wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Indeed. Cups of scalding hot coffee are good too, and look slightly more discreet.

If nobody gets fresh with you on your daily perambulations about the city, at least you can enjoy a delicious hot coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Kilkenny has got alot rougher in the last few months. Lots of assaults at the wkends and during the week. The Parade and Patrick Street are getting as bad as John Street at the wkends. That being said its not as bad as Carlow.

there both ****holes and places you wouldnt wanna be after the sun goes down.
    im a kk man and how kk people can come on here and say its lovely must be on the drugs the lads were on the other nite,wake up.im a realist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

im a kk man and how kk people can come on here and say its lovely must be on the drugs the lads were on the other nite,wake up.im a realist.

Yeah coourse you're a realist. Kilkenny- the Baghdad of the South East. Everytime I leave my house I get mugged. All my friends have been beaten up in the past week, and three have been murdered in their beds. Their own beds! Shocking altogether!

Isn't fun trying to outdo one another with hyperbolic outrage?!

Have you lived anywhere other than Kilkenny? I have lived in seven other towns and cities. I can assure that Kilkenny is a quality city by comparison, safe and beautiful. There's no such thing as a perfect city and no matter how good our city is, we'll always want it to be better, that's human nature.There's clearly an indifference of opinion based on perception, I hope you find Utopia.

Id say you're a troll more than anything, because anybody who thinks larchfield area is rough is clearly shut in from society all together. I wouldnt feel unsafe walking through it at 3am (which I have many times).

Any trouble in the area would only be from drunk people wandering home at night, kilkenny is a small town so it only takes 5 mins to get there from the parade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Larchfield generally is quiet by Kilkenny standards. I can't recall anything bad happening in Larchfield ct before. It is worrying that the recent serious incidents in Kilkenny seem to be trending upward.

Advertisement