Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I drive when NCT not done but booked?

• 15-02-2012 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hey guys, I've got insurance and tax, but can I drive when I am waiting for the NCT? its booked on 28th Feb.

By the way, thank you all for your help, I got my logbook today.
    So, the right order to do things if you have a UK reg car without logbook is:
    1. Pay a deposit to dealer and let him clear it at the revenue and then he should have Irish reg for you straight away.

2.Fill in RF100 form for tax and bring your receipt & dealer's letter saying he sold you the car, signed by both you and dealer. Bring all there to tax office and tax it. Then you will receive the logbook in a week

3.Book NCT

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lin33829

mathepac wrote: »
    Yes.
    thanks,but even if I have no NCT history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Yup, as long as you have a test booked and have a printout of the booking with you, you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

What about a text on your phone from the nct would that do?

Yup, as long as you have a test booked and have a printout of the booking with you, you'll be fine.
    OK. THANKS I HAVE IT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Once cleared by revenue and new reg issued +24hrs, you can tax online using last 4 digits of the VIN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

lin33829 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've got insurance and tax, but can I drive when I am waiting for the NCT? its booked on 28th Feb.
    The answers you're getting here are inaccurate. Legally, you cannot drive without a valid NCT. Most Gardaí won't prosecute you for that alone if you have a booking, but there are no guarantees. Were I in your shoes i'd get a cancellation online and do the test straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Legally - no, you can't drive it.

In practice I can't imagine anyone prosecuting you for it.

Anan1 wrote: »
    The answers you're getting here are inaccurate. Legally, you cannot drive without a valid NCT. Most Gardaí won't prosecute you for that alone if you have a booking, but there are no guarantees. Were I in your shoes i'd get a cancellation online and do the test straight away.
    I booked the latested available date for the test already? Unless there's some where else I can do the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

CiniO wrote: »

I would have thought the same. No NCT, stay off the road is the technical line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I booked the latested available date for the test already? Unless there's some where else I can do the test?
    You can go online and keep checking for cancellations. It may take a little while, but if you start now you'll have no problem getting a test for tomorrow in the same centre.

You can go online and keep checking for cancellations. It may take a little while, but if you start now you'll have no problem getting a test for tomorrow in the same centre.
    thanks a lot!

thanks a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

You can drive without an NCT, I've been waved through checkpoints with no disc up.

However, it's technically illegal, so don't attract any police attention while doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

You can drive without an NCT, I've been waved through checkpoints with no disc up.

However, it's technically illegal, so don't attract any police attention while doing it.

So no you can't? :pac:

That way you can drive as well without tax, insurance, licence, etc...
    Just don't attract your attention
    :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

It's the kind of limbo you enter without a current NCT cert / disc.

If you have a booking you'll normally be OK, as pointed out above

If you've failed and have the failure report and a new booking for a re-test (visual or full) you're covered as you must be able to take your car for remedial work as long as it is not dangerous to drive it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Buffman

Yep OP, to be 100% legal you should hire a tow truck to take your car to the NCT centre, then rev the sh1t out of the car for 20 minutes to get it up to running temperature, then do the test. Then if you fail you have to get it towed away!

Luckily in reality some common sense still exists, so yes, you're ok to drive it.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

mathepac wrote: »
    If you've failed and have the failure report and a new booking for a re-test (visual or full) you're covered as you must be able to take your car for remedial work as long as it is not dangerous to drive it.

There is legislation regulating it.
    You are allowed to drive legally without valid NCT to the NCT centre on the day of the test, and if you fail NCT you are allowed to drive anywhere, till the end of that day.

Buffman wrote: »
    Yep OP, to be 100% legal you should hire a tow truck to take your car to the NCT centre, then rev the sh1t out of the car for 20 minutes to get it up to running temperature, then do the test. Then if you fail you have to get it towed away!

Luckily in reality some common sense still exists, so yes, you're ok to drive it.

As I pointed out above.
    No need for any towing trucks.
    He is legally allowed to drive without valid NCT cert, but only to the NCT centre on the day of the test, and then anywhere after failing NCT, but only till the end of that day.

So there is no need for any common sense, neither for towing trucks.
    You can do everything legally.

However problem with importing a car, is that from the moment you register it in Ireland it's due NCT straight away. But to do NCT you need few weeks as you can only book it after it's registered.
    That pretty much forces you to brake law by driving a car in the mean time.
    Anyway - if someone wanted to stay 100% legal, there still wouldn't be any need for a towing truck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Buffman

As I pointed out above.
    No need for any towing trucks.
    He is legally allowed to drive without valid NCT cert, but only to the NCT centre on the day of the test, and then anywhere after failing NCT, but only till the end of that day.

So there is no need for any common sense, neither for towing trucks.
    You can do everything legally.

It's hard to know for sure, there's a couple of versions around.

Originally in 1999 it was:
    (2) Sub-article (1) shall not apply to a vehicle—

(a) which is an historic vehicle,

(b) which is solely used on an off-shore island,

(c) which is being driven to a test centre, for the purposes of having a test, or a re-test, carried out, for which an appointment had been made prior to the time of such driving,

(d) on the day on which a test certificate in respect of the said vehicle had been refused,

(e) which is a small public service vehicle in accordance with the Road Traffic (Public Service Vehicles) (Amendment) Regulations, 1995 ( S.I. No. 136 of 1995 )
    but updated in 2009 it's
    (5) This Regulation does not apply to a vehicle—

(a) first registered prior to 1 January 1980,

(b) which is used solely on an off-shore island,

(c) on the day on which a test certificate in respect of the vehicle had been refused, or

(d) which is owned or operated by the Garda Síochána or the Defence Forces.

Anyway, whatever the case, I'd say the OP is safe enough.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Buffman wrote: »
    It's hard to know for sure, there's a couple of versions around.

Originally in 1999 it was:

but updated in 2009 it's

Anyway, whatever the case, I'd say the OP is safe enough.

Hmm.
    That's actually very interesting.
    I wasn't aware it was changed with new regulations.
    Looks a bit stupid that they don't allow to drive to the test centre on the day of the test anymore.

However I already have an idea ;)
    If you are stopped on the way to test centre and garda want's to prosecute you, all you need to do it fail your NCT.
    Then this comes in force:
    (c) on the day on which a test certificate in respect of the vehicle had been refused, or
    and it means you are legally allowed to drive on the day car failed NCT.
    It's not mentioned anywhere that you can drive only after failing NCT, but it says about whole day.
    So if you are stopped on the way, just make sure you will fail nct (f.e. take a bulb off or sth) and then you are fine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kirkpatrick drive

No. NCT = road worthiness.
    Forget points, fines and Garda - it is irresponsible to "knowingly" drive a car that is unsafe on a public road. Why would you do this? Do you not also expect of your fellow road users that they drive a safe vehicle?

If you kill or injure someone or damage property you will be responsible because you "knowingly" drove an unsafe car. Your crime would be "wanton" and you bear the full consequence. This may be a penal sentence or a real fine. It's not all small stuff like points and fines or easy-going Garda. If something goes wrong you will rightly be judged by the justice system and may serve time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

No. NCT = road worthiness.
    Forget points, fines and Garda - it is irresponsible to "knowingly" drive a car that is unsafe on a public road. Why would you do this? Do you not also expect of your fellow road users that they drive a safe vehicle?

If you kill or injure someone or damage property you will be responsible because you "knowingly" drove an unsafe car. Your crime would be "wanton" and you bear the full consequence. This may be a penal sentence or a real fine. It's not all small stuff like points and fines or easy-going Garda. If something goes wrong you will rightly be judged by the justice system and may serve time.

The thread is 5 years old!!! You should bring your horse elsewhere... Careful you don't fall off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As said - old thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement