Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

S01E01 - Winter is Coming (Have Read The Books) **Spoilers**

• 15-02-2012 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

So, I've decided to re-watch Season 1 in preparation for the new season starting later in the year.

I love the opening scene, it really sets a tone.

I can't remember though, the little girl with the blue eyes, kind of Zombie, is it ever explained in the books what these are?

If it is, do tell me, it won't be a spoiler for me, just a reminder.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

I thought they were just called the White Walkers.
    Basically zombies. The dead coming back to life.

Jon Snow deals with one later in the series too.

As does Sam in the books.

Fairly sure that's them.

In the books the others can revive the dead. That's why when the rangers go back to where the masacre happened there was no bodies there.

Feck you anyway Des. Have me wanting to re watch now too.

The books refers to them as The Others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It's a wight as far as I can remember. Think we only got glimpses of the Others in the TV show.

nicklauski wrote: »
    I thought they were just called the White Walkers.

Basically zombies. The dead coming back to life.

Jon Snow deals with one later in the series too.
    As does Sam in the books.

Fairly sure that's them.

Feck you anyway Des. Have me wanting to re watch now too.
    White Walkers are the Others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

So there's no basic explanation, it's just here's some undeads, boom. Cool.

The scene where Robert and his entourage arrive in Winterfell and the first glimpse of Joffrey, it's brilliant casting, such a little shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

From reading all the books I thought that:
    White Walkers
    are people killed by The Others and returned in a frozen zombie-like state eg members of the Nights Watch slain by he Others
    The Others a
    re some other sort of abomination...that return when a bad winter comes.

Was never able to make total sense of it but I know they mention The Others & White Walkers together in the books like the 2 go together but are not quite the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

giddybootz wrote: »
    White Walkers
    are people killed by The Others and returned in a frozen zombie-like state eg members of the Nights Watch slain by he Others
    The Others a

Was never able to make total sense of it but I know they mention The Others & White Walkers together in the books like the 2 go together but are not quite the same

I said you're fairly bang on with that description.

White Walkers
    The Others a

Don't look at this if you don't want book spoilers:

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/White_Walkers

Obviously it's a Wiki etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

White Walkers
    The Others a

From reading the books, it appears that the Others and White Walkers are the same thing, only occasionally called White Walkers , in the books they are referred to mainly as The Others, the TV show calls them White Walkers mainly.

Wights, are the walking dead zombie types, and the books and TV show both use the term Wights for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Ah I get ya...so really their are 'The Others' and the wights.

Cheers guys....that always confused me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

I think the term "wights" may be more confusing to viewers than readers simply because it is pronounced similarly to "whites", even though the difference is clear in writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

In the book anyway the thing the rangers confront in the opening scenes is a white walker, the rangers then become wights I don't think lord snow ever confronts an other just wights

Sam the layer tho, i'm eagerly awaiting that scene, I relay hope they do justice to the epicness of that storyline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Wights = Zombies for all intensive purposes, the are the re-animated corpses of the fallen beyond the wall.

Can't recall if the TV show used the term "wildling"????? they are the living beyond the wall.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yeah, the TV show uses the term wildling. I only remember because the Old Bear says it in one of the trailers ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Started reading the first book the other day and started into the season again before April so am reading and watching in parallel atm.

I reckon the White Walkers explanations above are about right.

White Walkers/Others - Huge guys with swords who will Royce and the Ranger at the start.

Then the wights are those killed by the Walkers, which in the case of the first episode was the Wildling kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

OK I found the first 5 minutes of ep1 online
    http://www.movieweb.com/tv/TEPxfmLh9G7YSY/first-14-minutes-part-1

The wildling child is a Wight

But the thing that kills the rangers is a White Walker/Other

Wights are slow and Zombielike

White Walkers/Others are Swift and 'Godlike'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Have just started a re-watch myself, episode 2 tonight :)

Advertisement