Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet restricted on Client PC

Options
  • 15-02-2012 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Hoping someone can help me out with this. I have a feeling it may be a simple solution but I'm not seeing it. Forgive my ignorance please.

A friend of mine has a small business with a server running 2003. He has four clients off this. 3 of the clients do not have internet access, one does.

He now wants another one to have internet access. I looked at the setup for the one with access and it has 2 lans set up. One is called Local area Connection (as normal). If I run ipconfig I get a default gateway of 192.168.1.5 which is the ip of the server.

If I look at the second connection (local area connection 3). The default gateway is 192.168.1.254 which is the eircom router. There is only one nic card and one cable, they both are connected and running.

I went to the restricted client and tried to setup a second LAN but it would not work.

Is this the way I should be going or is there another way to give this client access to the Internet.

All clients running XP Pro.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭MiamiMice

You logged on as admin on the non-net connected client when trying to add the network?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭HTB

Hi MiamiMice

I was logged in as a user that is part of the admin group. But i never thought of that issue at the time.

Is the net connected client connected directly to the router?

This might be useful...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

The net connected client is connected directly to the same switch that the other clents are.

Are the proxy settings configured correctly in the browser?

• Advertisement

Hi Miami,

As you will see from my original post. Running ipconfig only shows a connection to the server using "local area connection".

However running ipconfig on the client with access gives me "local area connection" which is just conected to the server and it also displays "local area connection 3" which is connected to the eircom router.

The eircom router by the way is in another room with an ethernet conection from it to the switch.

Are you able to ping the router?

No, it wouldnt ping the router.

Have you ever seen the setup before where there are 2 lans running together.

Any rules in the router config that may be preventing additional hosts to connect? e.g. firewall?

Its a strange one!

Now that is something I hadnt thought of looking at.

I cannot get access to the building until next week so that will be my first port of call.

THe router I'm sure can limit access by mac address as well.

Thanks miami.

Still can figure out though why there are 2 lans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Run these commands on the server,on the connected to internet computer and on one pc with no internet connection:

start
    run
    cmd
    ipconfig /all

copy and paste all results here.

rgds

Advertisement