Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marks on Round Bales Silage

• 15-02-2012 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Something we noticed...
    On the end of the baled silage that was up to the sun and painted with an X.
    The silage had darkened well on the end of the bale but the X can clearly be seen in the end of the bale as nice light coloured silage ??

Would this mean that the bale isn't wrapped enough and the paint is keeping out more light??

The rest of the bale has kept fine, I was just wondering if it's a poorer quality wrap or not enough rounds done or no harm at all...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

What colour was the wrap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

5live wrote: »
    What colour was the wrap?

I 'd guess black, ,black attracts the sun and white repels it,

just wondering where Op is ? no worries with the sun here :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Costa del Cavan so it wasn't from extreme sun either.
    Ya the wrap was black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I saw something similar on green wrap last year. Where the wrap was patched with tape was darker than where it wasnt. I was thinking the suns UVs(?) rays getting through the lighter wrap better than the darker wrap but some bales were very obvious with it. That probably wasnt the reason if the wrap was black though...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

bbam it might have been hotter where no paint was on the black bale, but this wouldn't explain the green wrapped bale showing the mark. I reckon the paint would have acted as another layer.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

bbam wrote: »
    Costa del Cavan so it wasn't from extreme sun either.
    Ya the wrap was black.

I used Quinn wrap last year. Silage is holding up well but I just feel the wrap is just tainted and 'dodgy' as with every thing associated with Quinn...don't think I'll use it this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

While on the topic of bales.
    I had bales "sold" to a lad from earlier in the year. Turns out now he doesn't need them so it looks like I'll be feeding them myself next winter.
    They are all perfect shape wise, none were holed and they're sitting on good ground. Will I be down on feed quality after another summer in the bale.
    In fairness it will free up extra ground for grazing so I'm not too upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭thetiredfarmer

Bbam i will be doing the very same,as I even planned it to have some of the driest well shaped bales left aside so as to rent less land for 2012.I had absolutely no problems when ever I have a carry over from previous years !

Advertisement