Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips for me? Still cant get any work :(

Options
  • 15-02-2012 11:31am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Hey, ive been here in Oz for nearly a month now. Have applied in close to 50 stores/business's etc id say by now, but only have got 1 call back so far for a job interview.

Funds are starting to run low, and I really dont fancy heading home yet :(

Im in the Brisbane area and just cant seem to get anything. Im a hard-working guy with experience, and made up a good CV. Its casual work im after (D2D, Sales, retail etc.)

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Is it unusual for one to come over here and not get work and have to head back home because of it? Id honestly be crushed inside if I have to leave without getting work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

January is a really really quiet time with school holidays and the aussies take 3-4 weeks off as a hol kinda like we take 2 weeks in the summer.
    Same thing happened to me just make sure your not applying to perminent jobs depending on your visa you pretty much dont have a chance on a working holiday.
    Just go for casual and temp stuff maybe try a different type of job like labouring and some of the big cities can be harder to find work in dont rule out moving around or going inland, its als easier to find a job if you have one.
    Maybe do your 3 months regional work and get it out of the way.

Follow up CV submissions with a phone call the next day to show your interest and especially with sales if they know you have perfect english and seam sound that will get your CV to the top of the pile.

seek.com.au
    gumtree.com.au
    applydirect.com.au

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

It's a tough enough market out there at the moment in fairness - you're not alone. I know quite a few people here in Sydney who have been looking for quite a while for work and can't get anything.

When you see Westpac/ANZ laying off thousands of people you know everything isn't completely rosy. Even the constant sales in the shops and the news reports about how slow retail is - it's all having an effect on both permanent and casual jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Might not be what you want to hear but are you set on Sales or Brisbane???

If your stuck for cash and want to stay you could go off and do your Country Work and get it out of the way, save some money and open up the second year visa if that is an option you want to pursue, just a thought.

Edit. beaten to it by Karl Bracken who put his point forward better than i did and 6 hours earlier, curse you Bracken...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Try for bar work in the valley or some of the catering companies, d2d is a dead duck this time of year, and retail will be slack until easter, bar staff come and go pretty quickly so with an rsa in your back pocket you hould get something lined up quicksmart to get some dough comin in, try cloudland if you can schmooze and talk sh1t, you've a good chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

seems the majority coming on this forum are getting jobs though, i guess its down to what area you work in and exp!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Hey, ive been here in Oz for nearly a month now. Have applied in close to 50 stores/business's etc id say by now, but only have got 1 call back so far for a job interview.

Funds are starting to run low, and I really dont fancy heading home yet :(

Im in the Brisbane area and just cant seem to get anything. Im a hard-working guy with experience, and made up a good CV. Its casual work im after (D2D, Sales, retail etc.)

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Is it unusual for one to come over here and not get work and have to head back home because of it? Id honestly be crushed inside if I have to leave without getting work.

My two house mates did sales for a bit (In Melbourne) and apparently there is a good bit of work in that area down here if you ever decided to come down. The downside is that its mostly all commission!

But no, your not alone mate - lots of people have to go home early. In fact our house mates probably would have had to leave if we hadn't of gotten them work at the restaurant we work in.

Anyone you know that can give you a dig out or can put a word in where they work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

zweton wrote: »

The big 4 banks have been in cost cutting mode for a while now. Most of them have had hiring freezes since last winter, I was in process of being offered a job with one of them last august when management stopped all new contractor/consultant hires. They only offer perm jobs to people with PR/citizenship as well so it's a right pain for me at mo as most of my work comes from these 4 banks.

It must be hard for sacked staff to take when employer is making record profits but cutting 1000s of jobs, you'd wonder how much of it is really nessecary and how much is it just management taking oppurtunity to cut costs and bump profits while they can use GFC as excuse....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

zweton wrote: »

You can read a lot about job growth and / or availability in Australia. But the fact is, if you're coming from wee ireland on a work/holiday visa, and sit on your arse in the middle of sydney/brisbane/melbourne/perth applying for every shop job at a time when retail sales are so low there's never ending sales and "closing down" sales every month or so, well, do i need to finish this sentence? I don't think I've bought anything new, either clothes or household items, at full price for over 6 months, and that is probably an underestimate. Maybe that doesn't mean anything, but i can't see how anyone could keep a lot of staff and still make a profit in an environment like this.

OP, you might like to tell us you'd be crushed to go home without getting work. But have you really tried? I'm sure i'm wrong so don't take it personally, but emailing 50 CVs doesn't count as really trying. There's a ton of opportunity, you just have to make yourself uncomfortable and take it.

There's a ton of opportunity, you just have to make yourself uncomfortable and take it.

How do you mean? In fairness, I agree somewhat - no one is 'entitled' to a job here, you have to put in the groundwork.

However, not everyone can just up and leave where they are just to jump at a random job in a random place - maybe they are living with a partner etc or any other number of reasons. Life isn't that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

6ix wrote: »
    However, not everyone can just up and leave where they are just to jump at a random job in a random place - maybe they are living with a partner etc or any other number of reasons. Life isn't that simple.
    then don't visit another country on a working holiday visa. Life is never simple, but there are options. And yes, I know that's incredibly vague, and may not even apply to the OP.

[edit] forgot to answer the first bit!
    How do you mean? In fairness, I agree somewhat - no one is 'entitled' to a job here, you have to put in the groundwork.
    it's my feeling from what i see and read that the retail industry is struggling. So I'm not surprised working holiday makers are having a tough time finding a bit of work in that sector. So yes, no one is entitled to a job, but you are entitled to a chance at working, and there are jobs across the country, and you should get out of the comfort zone and travel for a job.

then don't visit another country on a working holiday visa. Life is never simple, but there are options.

That's not really fair IMO - everyone has certain parameters they have to/want to live within - being on a WHV doesn't mean you discard those.
    it's my feeling from what i see and read that the retail industry is struggling. So I'm not surprised working holiday makers are having a tough time finding a bit of work in that sector. So yes, no one is entitled to a job, but you are entitled to a chance at working, and there are jobs across the country, and you should get out of the comfort zone and travel for a job.

I broadly agree with you but what I mean is that everyone's situation is different and there may be reasons that you can't be free to travel. For example - if you've travelled across the world with a partner then I don't think you'd want to just leave them in one city while you go set up a life elsewhere.

Anyway, I know I've dragged us onto a tangent now that's unrelated to the OP's situation so I'll stop!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

OP, you might like to tell us you'd be crushed to go home without getting work. But have you really tried? I'm sure i'm wrong so don't take it personally, but emailing 50 CVs doesn't count as really trying. There's a ton of opportunity, you just have to make yourself uncomfortable and take it.
    Of course ive tried for christ sake. Im not sure about you, but I've not been fed with a sliver spoon when I was growing up so have been taught to appreciate every opportunity and work I can get and to always put in a shift in trying to get work.

And mate, I haven't emailed a single CV. Everything has been in person. IMO, you might as well throw the CVs down the jacks and you'd have more chance of getting work than emailing CVs. Never heard of anyone doing that anyway.

I've applied for everything from hospital cleaning, crossing guard, bar work, catering, sales assistant, D2D sales etc.

Heres hoping something will crop up! Ill take anything now. If nothing comes up in the next fortnight, a-fruit-picking I go!! :o
    But the fact is, if you're coming from wee ireland on a work/holiday visa, and sit on your arse in the middle of sydney/brisbane/melbourne/perth applying for every shop job at a time when retail sales are so low there's never ending sales and "closing down" sales every month or so, well, do i need to finish this sentence?
    How does one "sit on their arse" and apply for every shop/company in the city? Quite the opposite mate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Nice encouragement to the OP there. I know whats its like to be here and desperately looking for work, and the last thing you want to here is someone hinting that you may not be trying as to the reason you dont have any work. Ridiculous stuff.
    then don't visit another country on a working holiday visa. Life is never simple, but there are options. And yes, I know that's incredibly vague, and may not even apply to the OP.

[edit] forgot to answer the first bit!

Your the only one here mentioning that someone is "entitled" to a job. Who else said that? Sounds like you have a bit of a chip on our shoulder mate. Comes across as that you dont want people on WHV getting work here or something. Very odd attitude you have.
    and there are jobs across the country, and you should get out of the comfort zone and travel for a job.
    And ever think that someone might not be able to afford to travel to the other side of the country looking for work? This isn't small old Ireland, where you can just travel from state to state looking for work if your on a tight budget.

Or ever think that they might not feel comfortable leaving their mates/partner and going on their own to the other side of the country? To quote you, lifes not that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Been here a month and applied for 50 jobs...there is your problem.

When my friend and I arrived we set ourselves a target of 10 job applications a day. it's not that hard. Spend 3 hours in the morning applying on Seek, gumtree etc thats one every 15-20mins. You can tailor your cover letter and use the same resume.

By my calculations, after a month I'd applied for over 250 jobs online and a further 50 in person (always have your resume on you in case you see a sign in a store/bar etc).

You say applying online is like throwing your resume down the toilet...well Ive had 4 jobs since I got here-1 admin, 1 retail, 1 farming and one in my chosen profession which are sponsoring me and guess where I got them all??? Applying online.

It gets my goat when people moan about not being able to get work and you ask them how hard they are trying and it's obvious they dont have a clue and expect something to fall into their lap.

Perhaps I should rephrase that. If they give me the OPTION of applying online or instore/person, I always choose in person as it gives you a better chance to show your very interested and show you have very good english, confident etc. Of course ive applied on gumtree/seek to plenty of jobs, my email says gumtree applications is 68 for me with about 20 off seek id imagine, with about 50 in person, so its not like im not trying mate.

christ, whats with everyone thinking im not trying for work and am sitting in the hostel feeling sorry for myself because I asked here for some tips as I haven't got any work yet.

And "it gets my goat" when people jump to assumptions that because someone has been in Oz a month and hasn't got work, that they haven't "got a clue" and "expect something to fall on their lap". Good ole Irish attitude, being miserable at every opportunity. A mate of mine down in perth has been here since November looking for work in construction with nothing yet. Perhaps an extreme case, im not sure, but thats a long time to be in Oz without work, I defo wouldn't be able to last that long.

Clearly he hasn't got a clue :rolleyes:

So you've applied for 138 jobs? And you've been here 31 days.

So you've applied for 4.5 jobs a day. As mentioned, I was doing a minimum of 10 a day and it still took me 6 weeks to get my first job.

You want advice, here it is-apply for more jobs.
    I've already told you to always have your resume on you in case you see a vacancy but you've decided to overlook that helpful piece of advice-you're welcome.

And how exactly am I being "good ole miserable Irish" by concluding that people are perhaps clueless by expecting to have a job within a month of arriving? There is enough advice on this forum from people who haven't been able to secure work straight away that you should know it takes time and patience.

And the reason your mate in Perth hasn't got work is because construction in Australia slows down in December and January so they won't have been hiring in November when they don't have the work for people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Propane I believe you.

Batgurl wrote: »
    So you've applied for 138 jobs? And you've been here 31 days.

So you've applied for 4.5 jobs a day. As mentioned, I was doing a minimum of 10 a day and it still took me 6 weeks to get my first job.

You want advice, here it is-apply for more jobs.
    I've already told you to always have your resume on you in case you see a vacancy but you've decided to overlook that helpful piece of advice-you're welcome.

And how exactly am I being "good ole miserable Irish" by concluding that people are perhaps clueless by expecting to have a job within a month of arriving? There is enough advice on this forum from people who haven't been able to secure work straight away that you should know it takes time and patience.

And the reason your mate in Perth hasn't got work is because construction in Australia slows down in December and January so they won't have been hiring in November when they don't have the work for people.
    I always have 2 CVs with me just in case, but ive yet to see a shop/business with a sign up for work vacancy.

I think tomorrow im going to go around to all the hostels around me and see if anything is going in them, last time I was it was only fruit picking. Looking like thats what Ill be doing anyways.

Irish people, the majority ive met abroad, often tend to be negative and always looking at/thinking the worst of things.

Well hes a tit for going over in November then, he probably should have researched it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭narfsnonsense

I found getting a job really tough in Brisbane too, that was with 6 months work in Sydney behind me, and in the good times. Was literally on my last few pennies and went fruit picking for three months (not for visa reasons), had a bloody ball and funded 3 months travel. PM me if you want some details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That's not really fair IMO - everyone has certain parameters they have to/want to live within - being on a WHV doesn't mean you discard those.

Tbh it does

Here's another suggestion. Most backpackers are now heading north chasing the sun (whatever there is of it) so if you really want work, head south!

Melbourne and Sydney have been hit with some shocking bad weather recently so there is some vacancies in traditional backpacker roles like bars, temping etc.

And FYI, about 1 in every 4 Irish backpacker emigrants I've met tend to be a bunch a users and complainers about not being able to get work when they are going from hostel/my couch to the beach/bar and absolutely no further. It's a sad fact that many come over here with not enough cash expecting to land a job straight away and when, shock horror, they can't, expect to be able to rely upon other Irish that they barely know to "giz a lend of a score/tonne, I'll pay ya back when I get work."

Really pisses me off when these are the very people who spent a month touring drinking their way through Asia before landing here.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Tbh it does

No it doesn't. It depends what's important to you. The WHV is a great opportunity but it's not going to dictate my life. I have a prime example:

My girlfriend and I moved over here to live together in the same place (we were previously in separate countries). I got a decent job in Sydney, but she hasn't been so lucky yet, but we're giving it time. However, regardless of the outcome, we're not going to just live in separate cities in Oz just for work reasons. We're happy in Australia but it's not the only place in the world that we can go to work.

I realise the benefits of freedom in terms of job prospects, but my point was that certain people have certain parameters and you don't have to give them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Here's another suggestion. Most backpackers are now heading north chasing the sun (whatever there is of it) so if you really want work, head south!

Melbourne and Sydney have been hit with some shocking bad weather recently so there is some vacancies in traditional backpacker roles like bars, temping etc.

And FYI, about 1 in every 4 Irish backpacker emigrants Tourists I've met tend to be a bunch a users and complainers about not being able to get work when they are going from hostel/my couch to the beach/bar and absolutely no further. It's a sad fact that many come over here with not enough cash expecting to land a job straight away and when, shock horror, they can't, expect to be able to rely upon other Irish that they barely know to "giz a lend of a score/tonne, I'll pay ya back when I get work."

Really pisses me off when these are the very people who spent a month touring drinking their way through Asia before landing here.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Yes it can be hard.
    It's a slow time of year in certain areas and retail is doing it tough.

You should consider doing the RSA or a barista course to open up your options for bars and cafes.
    You didn't mention if you have covered a lot of Brisbane, maybe widen your net, consider an hour commute.

Use any contacts you can. Consider the local GAA scene for the chance of networking, meeting potential employers. It may not be your cup of tea but something to ponder.
    I know you've walked the streets and it's a pain in the neck. You probably don't have a car so it's going to seem a whole lot worse in the heat etc. If you stick at it, Cold calling can sometimes work but you'd have to be dropping 30 plus CVs a day to be getting anywhere.
    Failing that you have the fruit picking option, maybe Brissie is not right for you right now.

Yes it can be hard.
    It's a slow time of year in certain areas and retail is doing it tough.

You should consider doing the RSA or a barista course to open up your options for bars and cafes.
    You didn't mention if you have covered a lot of Brisbane, maybe widen your net, consider an hour commute.

Use any contacts you can. Consider the local GAA scene for the chance of networking, meeting potential employers. It may not be your cup of tea but something to ponder.
    I know you've walked the streets and it's a pain in the neck. You probably don't have a car so it's going to seem a whole lot worse in the heat etc. If you stick at it, Cold calling can sometimes work but you'd have to be dropping 30 plus CVs a day to be getting anywhere.
    Failing that you have the fruit picking option, maybe Brissie is not right for you right now.
    Well I spent a couple of days out on the Gold Coast and Southport and spent a good while dropping CVs into many various stores and bars there and have also applied online for places out there.

Im also applying for night shift jobs, so heres hoping! It is a pain I know yeah. And a mate of mine this time last year got a job within 2 weeks in Cairns as a crossing guard for a school and is full time work on about $30 an hour! jammy sod :pac:

So im guessing 50% of it is luck/right place, right time sort of thing. Im not going to loose hope, and I cant bear to look up the ryanair site for flights home just yet, so ill keep plugging away. Ill try the hostels job desks tomorrow and see what they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭narfsnonsense

And FYI, about 1 in every 4 Irish backpacker emigrants I've met tend to be a bunch a users and complainers about not being able to get work when they are going from hostel/my couch to the beach/bar and absolutely no further. It's a sad fact that many come over here with not enough cash expecting to land a job straight away and when, shock horror, they can't, expect to be able to rely upon other Irish that they barely know to "giz a lend of a score/tonne, I'll pay ya back when I get work."

Jealous much?

Not at all, I had a great time on my way over here doing America. But then again I worked hard to save for my travels and budgeted my money well and realised the limitations of my visa and finances. Unlike most people, I didn't piss all my money on an inflatable tube up a river or against the wall in whatever ****ty Irish bar I could find, only to land in Australia and have to rely on people who are a friend of a friend at best to bail me out because I didn't realise that Australia is not the land of golden footpaths.

Call me jealous all you want, I will direct you to the pair of twats on my couch who have been there almost a month because they cant afford a bond to move out and don't like the hostel scene. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Call me jealous all you want, I will direct you to the pair of twats on my couch who have been there almost a month because they cant afford a bond to move out and don't like the hostel scene. :eek:
    They dont like the hostel scene but enjoy getting pissed and going to Irish bars? Hostels are an irish college students wet dream, I know from experience :cool:

How about you kick them out off your couch then?

• Advertisement

While common sense dictates that I should, common courtesy (towards other housemates who's "mates" they are) leads me not to.

Don't get me wrong, I've tried. The old "but sure they've no where else to go until they get enough money saved up for a bond" has been bounded about. Here's a novel idea, stop going Tea Gardens & Cock n Bull every Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun and you mite just get enough money together for a bond???

Sorry OP, I've gone totally off topic. Advice is: work harder, be prepared to move/commute, network...and if all that fails, you probably know my housemates so I'll no doubt see you on my couch shortly... :P

Advertisement