Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Latest FIFA rankings.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

roryc wrote: »
    Or maybe they'll join up with us and we can bag the next George Best...

Already the bi-monthly thread on that with the usual coulds, woulds, ifs, buts, Ireland says yesses and Ulster says nos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Do the FIFA world ranking affect seedings for Qualification campaigns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Latest FIFA rankings out today;

FIFA world rankings (previous ranking in brackets):

1. Germany (1)

2. Argentina (2)

3. Colombia (4)

4. Netherlands (3)

5. Belgium (5)

6. Brazil (7)

7. Uruguay (6)

8. Spain (8)

9. France (10)

10. Switzerland (9)

11. Portugal (11)

12. Chile (12)

13. Italy (14)

14. Greece (13)

15. Costa Rica (15)

16. Mexico (17)

17. United States (18)

18. England (20)

19. Croatia (16)

20. Algeria (24)

29. Wales & Scotland

62. Republic Of Ireland (66)

71. Northern Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Our friendly policy needs to change. The FAI need to stop treating it as an excuse to make money and start treating it as a way to help us get to tournaments.

Say want you want about guys like Brian Kerr, he knew the importance of your ranking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Whats our FIFA ranking among UEFA countries only?
    Its far more important than our FIFA Ranking within the World, but rarely merits a mention when people post these lists.

World Cup draw is only 12 months away, so we need to be Top 27 within Europe to be in Pot 3.

Edit :
    Just checked within UEFA only and we are ranked 32, so Pot 4 at the moment. Need to get to 27 (though 28 will probably be OK with Russia not having to qualify).
    http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Kirby wrote: »
    Our friendly policy needs to change. The FAI need to stop treating it as an excuse to make money and start treating it as a way to help us get to tournaments.

Say want you want about guys like Brian Kerr, he knew the importance of your ranking.

Oman, Portugal, Costa Rica, Italy, Turkey, Serbia, Poland and Latvia were the last friendlies Ireland played.

Can I ask which fixtures you reckon don't make sense and which were money-spinners?

Can somebody explain how Wales are ranked 30 places above us??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Can somebody explain how Wales are ranked 30 places above us??

Em gareth bale ?

Em gareth bale ?

It's a genuine question.

Is this how it's ranked? Based on squad assessment?
    I presumed it was based on results / tournament qualification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It's a genuine question.

Is this how it's ranked? Based on squad assessment?
    I presumed it was based on results / tournament qualification.

Ah I know I was just giving a joke answer but its mad they are ahead of ireland . They haven't qualified for a tournament in donkey years ! Thats both of them ! I wonder is it squad assessment but your games played and results would also come into play too .

Ah I know I was just giving a joke answer but its mad they are ahead of ireland . They haven't qualified for a tournament in donkey years ! Thats both of them ! I wonder is it squad assessment but your games played and results would also come into play too .

This should also apply to Scotland, sure they haven't qualified for a tournament since 1998??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I don't think qualifying actually affects the standings, just results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Ireland won 9 of our last 25 games (11/9/12 - 7/9/14)
    Beating Oman, Georgia, Latvia, Kazakhstan, Faroes, Georgia, Poland, Faroes & Oman.

Wales won 10 of there last 25 games (10//8/11 - 9/9/14)
    Beating Iceland, Andorra, Macedonia, Scotland, Austria, Scotland, Norway, Bulgaria, Switerland & Montenegro.

Scotland won 11 of there last 25 games (6/9/11 - 7/9/14)
    Beating Poland, Norway, Croatia, Macedonia, Estonia, Luxembourg, Australia, Cyprus, Liechtenstein & Lithuania,

Thev beaten the higher ranked competition in fairness which would push them up above us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Its results, nothing to with squad!

Us playing 9 friendlies or whatever under MONARK management and only winning 2 is basically FIFA ranking suicide as your cumulative points get divided by your #games played to come up with your ranking.
    We lost probably 10/15 places because of those games. (But hey it helped pay off a stadium we should have had nothing to do with in the first place.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Its results, nothing to with squad!

Us playing 9 friendlies or whatever under MONARK management and only winning 2 is basically FIFA ranking suicide as your cumulative points get divided by your #games played to come up with your ranking.
    We lost probably 10/15 places because of those games. (But hey it helped pay off a stadium we should have had nothing to do with in the first place.)

Edited my post above to reflect that because i wasnt sure, wev played 25 games in two years, wales played that amount in 3 years. So there less games will push them further up the rankings and the fact thev beaten teams ranked higher than teams we beat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement