Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Do You Study?

• 15-02-2012 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

I have read people saying make a study timetable, go to a quiet place and do some work. But what I want to know is how do you actually study. Do you write out notes, summarize pages, highlight important sentences or just read? I'm just curious as I have noticed that at times I do better when reading for example a topic in Economics but then the next day I'll work better when I make notes about another topic in Economics that I am studying. Sometimes I have to listen to music when I am studying, sometimes I don't.

I am just interested in how other people study? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

I write out notes, mostly. For Biology I made really good notes when I did the chapters the first time then read over them when class tests and exams come around, sometimes rewriting them the night before so they're fresh in my mind.

For History I plan essays, write them a few times, then break them up into paragraphs and learn the order of those paragraphs by writing it out as a list over and over, then practise writing out the list and adding on little notes to each point on the list to remind me of key things to put in the paragraph. It's really important I do that because the less time I spend trying to remember the structure of the essay, the more time I have to actually write it :) Plus it helps me learn the facts as I go too.

For English and Irish Paper Two I read over my notes on the literature, sometimes rewriting the key stuff coming up to the exam (especially for Irish), again just so it's fresh.

For French and Japanese...I just review vocab and grammar a lot, make sure I know how to use it, all that.

For Music...well, I have yet to develop good study habits for Music. I just listen to the works over and over and go over my composition notes :P

And Maths and Applied Maths..I just review the notes in the books on each chapter and do questions to make sure I remember the methods etc. I keep every example of a question I do on sheets in a big folder for both, too (and highlight the ones I have done) so when it comes to 6th Year I'll be able to do them again and check my correct solutions if I get stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

MegGustaa wrote: »
    I write out notes, mostly. For Biology I made really good notes when I did the chapters the first time then read over them when class tests and exams come around, sometimes rewriting them the night before so they're fresh in my mind.

For History I plan essays, write them a few times, then break them up into paragraphs and learn the order of those paragraphs by writing it out as a list over and over, then practise writing out the list and adding on little notes to each point on the list to remind me of key things to put in the paragraph. It's really important I do that because the less time I spend trying to remember the structure of the essay, the more time I have to actually write it :) Plus it helps me learn the facts as I go too.

For English and Irish Paper Two I read over my notes on the literature, sometimes rewriting the key stuff coming up to the exam (especially for Irish), again just so it's fresh.

For French and Japanese...I just review vocab and grammar a lot, make sure I know how to use it, all that.

For Music...well, I have yet to develop good study habits for Music. I just listen to the works over and over and go over my composition notes :P

And Maths and Applied Maths..I just review the notes in the books on each chapter and do questions to make sure I remember the methods etc. I keep every example of a question I do on sheets in a big folder for both, too (and highlight the ones I have done) so when it comes to 6th Year I'll be able to do them again and check my correct solutions if I get stuck.

Jebus how many subjects have you got?! :eek: Yeah sometimes I learn better writing out notes and sometimes just by reading. This is usually the case for Business! I'm curious to know what people think about sample essays, for English? I personally don't use them but I want to know do people find them helpful or what? Do you take parts from them or just get 'inspired'?

SeanMadd wrote: »
    Jebus how many subjects have you got?! :eek: Yeah sometimes I learn better writing out notes and sometimes just by reading. This is usually the case for Business! I'm curious to know what people think about sample essays, for English? I personally don't use them but I want to know do people find them helpful or what? Do you take parts from them or just get 'inspired'?

Nine...no regrets (yet).
    Sample essays are good for getting an idea of how to structure an answer. My teacher gives us exemplars, like photocopies of actual A1-grade essays people have given him (from years ago) so we can see how it's done. They provide a good starting point, in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Nine...no regrets (yet).
    Sample essays are good for getting an idea of how to structure an answer. My teacher gives us exemplars, like photocopies of actual A1-grade essays people have given him (from years ago) so we can see how it's done. They provide a good starting point, in any case.

Any advice for French listening comprehension? It's the only part I can't get my head around. I hate it when random shít comes up in it :pac:

Any advice for French listening comprehension? It's the only part I can't get my head around. I hate it when random shít comes up in it :pac:

Idk, I just listen to a lot of French stuff (music, interviews, tv shows, news reports). If you're used to having it on your ear you'll be more used to picking out the answers, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Nine...no regrets (yet).
    9 Honours! :O

I do 9 subjects too: 6 Higher, 2 Ordinary and LCVP!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Nine...no regrets (yet).
    Doing 8 honors and am really struggling to find time for all of them so respect! For subjects like Physics, Music, English quotes and stuff like that I usually have to write something out like 50 million times for it to stick in my head. Finished like two refill pads in a week of cramming before the mocks! But everyone learns differently. However, some people read alot, make notes and others listen to recorded material. Really depends on what type of learner you are!

For essays (History, English, Irish etc.) I usually just learn the main points of my paragraphs and practice filling out the essay.. After a while I find that I can write an essay pretty quickly because the important points are imbedded in my brain! :D

For stuff like Maths? Exam papers... over and over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Irish94 wrote: »
    I have read people saying make a study timetable, go to a quiet place and do some work. But what I want to know is how do you actually study. Do you write out notes, summarize pages, highlight important sentences or just read? I'm just curious as I have noticed that at times I do better when reading for example a topic in Economics but then the next day I'll work better when I make notes about another topic in Economics that I am studying. Sometimes I have to listen to music when I am studying, sometimes I don't.

I am just interested in how other people study? :)
    It depends on your learning style. For me, I read it and say it out loud. If I just read nothing will go in so say it to myself. For maths I just practice questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I make notes as mindmaps and then if its something complicated I make linear notes too. This stage of the year though its mostly just practicing exam questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Read it, write it out, read it, write it out, read it, wr..... you can guess where I'm going with this :o

Keep at that until I can write it out off the top of my head and come back and look at it ever so often to make sure it sticks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Write things out, read them. Then after a few minutes try to remember what I read without looking. meh.

Advertisement