Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so much trouble with eircom

• 15-02-2012 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

hello just wondering if u could help me?

im a new customer with eircom and when i rang up to order broadband i was told id be geting 8mb speeds now when i got the router i done a test on the line and were only getting .9 dowload speed and .3 upload speed rang the guys in techinal support and they said my line could only support up to 2mb. now the thing is its awful slow gaming online and takes hours to download anything. just wondering wat can be done as this speed is no good to me. i have pm two people from eircom a week ago and still didnt get a response

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

ennisweed wrote: »

im a new customer with eircom and when i rang up to order broadband i was told id be geting 8mb speeds now when i got the router i done a test on the line and were only getting .9 dowload speed and .3 upload speed rang the guys in techinal support and they said my line could only support up to 2mb. now the thing is its awful slow gaming online and takes hours to download anything. just wondering wat can be done as this speed is no good to me. i have pm two people from eircom a week ago and still didnt get a response

Are you in a UPC area?
    1774327139.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

minimum package is 'up to' 8mbits nowadays on NGN exchanges

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ennisweed

no im not live in country. i just so mad the sales rep told me id have 8mb i cant even watch something on youtube without it pausing.

If you are not on an NGN exchange it was missold...the max is 7.6mbits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Ranicand wrote: »
    Are you in a UPC area?
    1774327139.png

or maybe he is really and could be on a magnet area?

1775209832.png

lol

• Advertisement

Try posting your line stats, maybe we can give you a bit more advice on how to improve your line but is unlikely.

You seem to be on a non standard delivery line, probably a long line.

Maybe improving your line speed wont be possible but improving your latency could make a big difference...

Bohrio wrote: »
    or maybe he is really and could be on a magnet area?

1775209832.png

lol

He is out in the middle of the county I don't think out speedtests are helping.:)

He is out in the middle of the county I don't think out speedtests are helping.:)

I know I did that on purpose...

Your man can barely get 1 mb and you posted a speed test of over 50... thats just mean!

So I decided to do the same to you... ;)

Bohrio wrote: »
    I know I did that on purpose...

Your man can barely get 1 mb and you posted a speed test of over 50... thats just mean!

So I decided to do the same to you... ;)

From his first post I did not know he was in the middle of the bog.

Some people do not understand that UPC and Magnet fiber are way ahead of DSL slowband.

How does that Magnet work you have a Fiber optic cable straight into your home?

I also love the super low ping time.

Lastly how much do you pay for that monster of a connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

OP, where do you live? Going on your handle it's outside Ennis?

People living in the country are going to have to accept the laws of physics... you just aren't going to get good DSL broadband if you live a long way from an exchange.

• Advertisement

From his first post I did not know he was in the middle of the bog.

Some people do not understand that UPC and Magnet fiber are way ahead of DSL slowband.

How does that Magnet work you have a Fiber optic cable straight into your home?

I also love the super low ping time.

Lastly how much do you pay for that monster of a connection?

I know you werent in the know, dont mind me!

Magnet is not cheap, 85 for 100/10 mb, 75 for 60 mb and 55 for 30 mb. TV, phone included. TV is not the best but it does the trick. Latency is almost inexistent. Fiber odf is in the hall, I have a ethernet cable coming into the house... but enough about magnet! back on topic!

As n97 mini already said... little you can do about it, but not everything is lost! try doing what I asked you to do on my previous post and see what happens

105uqlz.jpgemzbcBack on topic Eircom is getting sold yet again so things are not going to improve.

sorry about the delay replying i just done the speed test not happy at all

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1775602800.png

im living about 4 miles outside Enniscorthy and its in a bit dip so thats why we decided to go with eircom. has anyone as suggestions what i can do.

is there any way to get better speeds or could i get out off the contract because it was missold. the technian also said i was only about 5 miles from exchange

im living about 4 miles outside Enniscorthy and its in a bit dip so thats why we decided to go with eircom. has anyone as suggestions what i can do.

is there any way to get better speeds or could i get out off the contract because it was missold. the technian also said i was only about 5 miles from exchange

Five miles is a lot for DSL.

Are there any fixed wireless broadband providers in your area?

I mean fixed wireless not a dongle in your computer.

im not to sure about other providers in the area. what company would be the best to get goods speeds like 8 to 10 mb with a good usage allowence. i am almost sure i was told i would have unlimted usage but checking the website i see my package is only 10gb. Which i think is useless.

I think i really made a bad decision with eircom:(

im not to sure about other providers in the area. what company would be the best to get goods speeds like 8 to 10 mb with a good usage allowence. i am almost sure i was told i would have unlimted usage but checking the website i see my package is only 10gb. Which i think is useless.

I think i really made a bad decision with eircom:(

I am living in Dublin so I know very little about wireless providers.

This is the broadband board you should try looking in the Midband board.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1147

Permanet should be able to do better than that DSL speed. Mind you it ain't too shabby for 4 miles out of town. Love the carrier pigeon!

I was referring to the router stats, but seeing you are that far away from the exchange I dont see a way of improving your speed, improving your latency might be possible though but hard to tell without a proper line test.

Eircom should be able to do this for you, also, as your line is so far away you might wanna make sure you are connected to the main socket of your house, try running a speedtest without anything connected but the router, no extension, alarms etc.

A faceplate might also help but again, can't really confirm it by just by looking at a speedtest

Also, dont see a way out of your contract, unless the sales rep told you your line was capable of 8 mb after he tested it but there is no way of knowing this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

5 miles is a long way from the exchange. You're really on the outer fringes. The only solution if you want better DSL is to move closer to the exchange.

There might be a wireless ISP in the area, but I wouldn't be expecting miracles from them either.

Also the eircom guy probably told you you'd get up to 8 mb.

alrite thanks for the advice lads. ill be ringing eircom tommorow ill let yas know how i get on. hopefully sort something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Persiancowboy

n97 mini wrote: »
    OP, where do you live? Going on your handle it's outside Ennis?

People living in the country are going to have to accept the laws of physics... you just aren't going to get good DSL broadband if you live a long way from an exchange.

While this is true it misses the main point of the Op's post: he was lied to by Eircom when being sold the product. I know the old maxim of "buyer beware" but this is shabby and dishonest carry-on by the incumbent.

Maybe he should refer the matter to ComReg?

Advertisement