Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deducted sick pay

Options
  • 15-02-2012 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭

i was off work recently sick (with a cert). i have been paid my full monthly salary once since i returned without any deductions, but in this month's salary they have deducted several days pay from it citing 'absent' as the deduction.

fair enough as the company officially only pay a couple of days sick leave, but should they have warned me in writing before making this deduction? first i knew of it is when i got my payslip.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

AFAIK, the payslip is the written information about what you're being paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

bb12 wrote: »
    i was off work recently sick (with a cert). i have been paid my full monthly salary once since i returned without any deductions, but in this month's salary they have deducted several days pay from it citing 'absent' as the deduction.

fair enough as the company officially only pay a couple of days sick leave, but should they have warned me in writing before making this deduction? first i knew of it is when i got my payslip.

eh? It's company policy as you said. Most likely in your contract.I would say that is a warning.. You missed the days in question. As the previous poster said your payslip has it documented...

It's your repsonsibility to know the terms of your own employment. If there was a difference between your payslip and what you were paid then fair enough but I don't see what else you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Did you receive any social welfare sick pay while you were out sick? Where I work, when you are sick, you are paid in full provided you have a sick cert. While you are off sick you must complete the purple-ish social welfare form (which you get from your GP) and send to the Social Welfare Office in Dublin. This is then processed by the Social Welfare, and if you are entitled to sick pay (based on your PRSI contributions 2 years previous), it is paid to you. Your employer is also notified of this payment and so the amount you receive from social welfare is deducted from your next payslip. Thinks its about €30 a day.

Would this explain the deduction from your payslip?

Advertisement