Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Undergraduate vs. Mature Postgraduate - Difference in grants?

Options
  • 15-02-2012 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

A quick trawl of the threads here in relation to mature students and funding throws up plenty in relation to *undergraduate* mature students, rather than *postgraduate* mature students.

I'm 50+ and considering applying for a one year MA in the IADT in Dun Laoghaire. The fee for the one year course is €5750.

I'm self employed. Is there anything grant-wise, that I might be eligible for?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

A grant to cover the fees

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

u will be eligible to apply for the 2000 tuition fee. the ceiling for the income limit is not yet set. If you were on social welfare and your income was under 22,700 in 2011, u would get fees covered up to 6,750.

Just to clarify

You are eligible to apply for a fee grant

There are two rates of fee grants

2000 Euro and another of 6000 or full fees possibly ( it's not fully clear what this rate is yet)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Cheers guys! ;)

A few more questions....

1. Who do I apply to - the college or a state body? If a state body, which one?

2. The course I want to do begins January, 2013. So, if my income as a self-employed in 2012 was less than €22,500, am I right in thinking that I would be eligible for a grant up to €6k?

Thanks again.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    Cheers guys! ;)

A few more questions....

1. Who do I apply to - the college or a state body? If a state body, which one?

2. The course I want to do begins January, 2013. So, if my income as a self-employed in 2012 was less than €22,500, am I right in thinking that I would be eligible for a grant up to €6k?

Thanks again.

D.

ok

a few things

grants are ONLY for full time courses

1. 2012/13 applications will be online

www.studentfinance.ie/mp9540/new-grant-applications-for-2012-13/index.html

2. grants are usually assessed on income for the previous year. In your case presumably 2011. If your income in 2012 is much lower you can usually claim this as a change of circumstances and have your 2012 income assessed instead. It is not clear what the 2012/13 income limits will be yet. If a person applied for a grant in 2011/12 and had an income of 22500 they would get a maintenance grant of approximately 6000 plus a fee grant Upto 6750. The maintenance part of this will be definitely abolished for 2012/13.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

mango salsa,

Cheers! ;)

One last question...

Would my wife's income be taken into consideration in a grant application?

Thanks.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    mango salsa,

Cheers! ;)

One last question...

Would my wife's income be taken into consideration in a grant application?

Thanks.

D.

Yes

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/Student%20Grant%20Scheme%202011.pdf
    (5) Where the applicant is an independent student, the income of the applicant and his or her spouse, civil partner or cohabitant, as appropriate, shall be taken into account in calculating whether the limit specified is exceeded.

Terry Pratchet

In which case I haven't a prayer.

Ta very much. ;)

D.

Advertisement