Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

low alcohol beer in pubs

Options
  • 15-02-2012 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

I'm coming back to Ireland for a quick break. I'm going to be both going out, playing in a poker tournament and visiting family and I want to keep my sore heads to a minimum but still want to have a few (good few even) beers when I go out. I'll be visiting Dublin (most probably going out in Temple Bar as my hotel is near there), Galway and Cork.

So I'm looking for a beer, preferably lager that is lower in alcohol (not non alcoholic) than a regular beer - talking sort of < 3.5%. Is there any option like that these days in pubs

I'm not much of a stout drinker but just in case it's the only option...I see Guinness have some mid-strength version out, is that easy to get in pubs or is it only to be found in a few places?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Guinness Mid-Strength and Carlsberg Mid-Strength both exist but are fairly rare. Your best mainstream bet is Smithwick's which is 3.8% ABV.

The Porterhouse and Bull & Castle both have house beers around the 3.9% mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Buckleys (O'Hara's ) bull and castle around 3.8% i believe, there is also the commonplace smithwicks coming in at 3.8% and Porterhouse TSB at 3.7% (Temple Bar and Nassau Street branches)

Not much below that i can think off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Smithwick's - never been much of fan tbh. Mid-strength Carlsberg sounds interesting. Was in Dublin a few years ago and one place was selling 2% strenght cider - anyone know about this?

Just had a thought. Is Erdinger non-alcoholic easy to get - think I remember it being available in some bars before. That's not bad at all if I remember right. I could sort of have some of them interspersed with regular beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

The is also the option of the shandy?

luckylucky wrote: »
    Is Erdinger non-alcoholic easy to get
    Fairly. Most places will have that, and/or Beck's or Paulaner non-alcoholic, if you've changed your mind on non-alcoholic beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

BeerNut wrote: »
    Fairly. Most places will have that, and/or Beck's or Paulaner non-alcoholic, if you've changed your mind on non-alcoholic beer.

I was initially thinking of a low alcohol one and it's still probably the ideal choice, but if a non-alcohol one is the only realistic option then one that tastes fairly good like Erdinger (think Paulaner's alright as well - jury's out on Becks but I can give it another try) mightn't be a bad compromise - can always have a few 'real' beers also anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BeerNut wrote: »
    The Porterhouse and Bull & Castle both have house beers around the 3.9% mark.
    I know B&C has Buckleys, but what beer from the PH is in that abv range?

I'd love to try this.

6596426995_6f37345ed4_z.jpg

BaZmO* wrote: »
    what beer from the PH is in that abv range
    TSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

draught carling is %4 brewed in the uk and shipped over here

Advertisement