Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband connected but no internet access!

Options
  • 15-02-2012 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to broadband.

I recently got Vodafone at Home landline and wireless broadband installed. I use a PC, laptop and smartphone to access the internet. The connection for the PC and smartphone works perfectly. The laptop on the other hand indicates that the wireless network is connected, but when I try to access the internet via firefox or IE7 I get errors.

I called Vodafone tech support but they were only able to establish that the network is OK, (ping test etc) and the problem is with the settings on my laptop.

I tried - temporarily - disabling the firewall, this didn't work. I uninstalled other software I use online such as ExpatShield. The laptop itself is about 8 years old and connects using a removable PCI card.

It's a real pain as the whole point of wireless is being able to use it anywhere in the house, and I'm still chained to my PC! (but at least I have something!)

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you run ipconfig from a command prompt window what is the output?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What encryption is the router set to, and what encryption does the card support?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Thanks for replying. Sorry for not responding earlier, this is the first chance I've had to set the laptop up beside the PC...

Anyway I ran Ipconfig, the result is,
    Connection-Specific DNS Suffix .:
    IP address 162.198.1.1
    Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway :

I ran Ipconfig on the PC also, and the
    Connection-Specific DNS Suffix is "local domain"
    IP address 162.xxx.x.x
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway is 162.198.1.1,
    so maybe the fact that the DNS suffix and Default Gateway are blank on the laptop, is the reason why I can't get online.

@Spear, the encryption on the card used in the laptop is WPA TKIP, router specifies WPA.

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Are you sure the address is not 192.168.x.x

192.168.xxx.xxx are private addresses used by local area networks i.e. the network in your home or work place. They are not public so there is no point in not posting them in full.

The default gateway is usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 and the IP addresses of the devices within the network are in the range 192.168.1.2 through to 192.168.1.255 (excluding the default gateway address which is the address of the router.)

Each device should be set to automatically get it's address from the DHCP server (in your case the router).

If any have been set manually then that could lead to address conflicts and hence no connectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Hi FSL, typos on my part. 192.168.1.1 is correct.

I've set the TCP/IP settings to obtain IP & DNS address automatically. IP address is DHCP enabled. But now it is not connecting at all !

I'm wondering now are the wireless adapters the problem.

Laptop card is about 5 years old and uses 802.11g. The PC also connects wirelesly using a newer 802.11n USB stick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement