Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pioneer AVRs with B&W 685 Theatre

• 15-02-2012 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi guys, is here anyone, who could give me a green light to go with this combination: B&W 685 Theatre speakers and Pioneer AVR? The reason I would like Pioneer AVR is their great compatibility with iOS device as I am heavy MAC/iphone/ipad user. There is lots of recommendations with DENON or YAMAHA amps to those speakers but I can't find anyone who uses Pioneer.
    Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What is a pioneer AVR? I get a roof mounted screen doing a search.

There is no magic matching of brand A amp with brand B speakers. The only thing that is important is that the amp has enough output to drive the speakers you have chosen to the volume level you want to achieve, without the amp producing any audible distortion.

The B&W website specs for those speakers says:
    'Recommended amplifier power 25W - 100W into 8Ω on unclipped programme.' So I would recommend an amp that can deliver at least 70-80 watts rms per channel into 8 ohms.

If the AVR can do that, you should have a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

well, I was thinking about the Pioneer VSX-LX55

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Should be OK, but you wouldn't want less output than that has. 150w at 1% THD - it would be more like the 70-80 watts I suggested if they rated it at a more reasonable distortion level. Sorry, that just sort of slipped out.

Should sound fine with those speakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

why b&w speakers ,i think they are fairly hard to drive, and are usually coupled to much more expensive amps, you might not get the best out of those expensive speakers

OK, I'm looking for good speaker, that are good enough for music and movies... Do you think there is better speakers on the market for same or less money? I thought that B&W are the best :-) And I like their design too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Martynet wrote: »
    I thought that B&W are the best :-) And I like their design too.
    Not the best by any means, but the 685's are pretty good and you'd get a lot out of them.
    They do like a lot of power so if you have any chance to up the amp spec that's what I'd do.
    If the amp has a pre-out you could always add dedicated power amps at a later stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Martynet wrote: »
    OK, I'm looking for good speaker, that are good enough for music and movies... Do you think there is better speakers on the market for same or less money? I thought that B&W are the best :-) And I like their design too.

they are good speakers but they need good amps to drive them the pioneer would be ok but an amp with greater power reserves would be better for sudden demands for bass response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

I have B&W 684 and upgraded to Denon 2312. This is a steal now at 450 odd sterling. It will drive a 685 no problem and buckets to spare, you can also use the denon app on your iphone/ipad to control the amp and it has airplay. The 1912 should suffice also. The plus with the 1912 is it is now a Network ready receiver also, unlike its predecessors, so its a good choice also, but the 2312 will bring the best out of what I honestly think is a fantastic system in the 685, yes I am biased!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dermondo

I have B&W 684 and upgraded to Denon 2312. This is a steal now at 450 odd sterling. It will drive a 685 no problem and buckets to spare, you can also use the denon app on your iphone/ipad to control the amp and it has airplay. The 1912 should suffice also. The plus with the 1912 is it is now a Network ready receiver also, unlike its predecessors, so its a good choice also, but the 2312 will bring the best out of what I honestly think is a fantastic system in the 685, yes I am biased!! ;)

Hi, where did you purchase the B&W 684 and how do you find them, many thanks in advance.

Ok, in the end, I decided for B&W MT-50, but with ASW610 SUB + new yamaha receiver RX-V473 and I couldn't be more happy. Got everything in Cloney's Audio in Blackrock. Great guys and very helpful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement