Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pat Kenny won't cut the grass

• 15-02-2012 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭

The minister for procurement was on Pat Kennys show talking about contractors cutting the grass for the Irish army.

Pat posed the question. ''Why wouldn't the soldiers cut the grass themselves''. His guest replied ''would you cut the grass here at RTE?''

Of course he said no, that he had other things to do.

So AH should RTE or PS workers be asked to cut grass, paint walls or clean up in their own offices?
    Do we have to contract every little job out to the private sector?

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

You know what AH thinks, rabble rabble rabble, that's what AH thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think it's time for lunch.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Pat's better than them.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Cutting the grass....the bane of my teenage years!!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Controversial thread.

/follows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

The minister for procurement was on Pat Kennys show talking about contractors cutting the grass for the Irish army.

Pat posed the question. ''Why wouldn't the soldiers cut the grass themselves''. His guest replied ''would you cut the grass here at RTE?''

Pat Kenny is an idiot. A broadcaster who thinks he knows how to do everyone else's jobs without any experience or knowledge of said jobs.

Good to see the guest showing him up on his self-righteousness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

They already pick up litter in the community. (Outside of DoD property)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

cut his f*cking wages the pompus prick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

No. Concrete ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kfallon wrote: »
    Cutting the grass....the bane of my teenage years!!! :(

So who's doing it now? Some Filipino chained to post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Guill wrote: »
    No. Concrete ftw.
    Concrete slippers for the Plank!

mike65 wrote: »
    So who's doing it now? Some Filipino chained to post?

No - me ould lad and for the bit on the outside of the street it's Waterford Corporation!

You must be from Viewmount boy if you have a Filipino on hand to cut yours :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

The stars of RTE have no interest in grass,now coke on the other hand is a different story :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

hiscan wrote: »
    The stars of RTE have no interest in grass,now coke on the other hand is a different story :p

Nothing to be sniffed at really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Wheres the FCA in all of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Where do we send tv show ideas in rte. I propose a fly on the wall documentary where Pat Kenny drives a lawnmower round the country talking to the people he meets as he cuts their grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

They should cut it with machine guns and therefore save money on targets. Or napalm the lawns removing the problem entirely.

Option number three is to machine gun and napalm Pat.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Where do we send tv show ideas in rte. I propose a fly on the wall documentary where Pat Kenny drives a lawnmower round the country talking to the people he meets as he cuts their grass.

Isn't that basically the premise for Nationwide though except with an even more pompous presenter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

The Army doing work? Not a hope.

What does one do in the army?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I think the soldiers should cut the grass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Brilliant! Oh wait they have Paddy O'Gorman for this sort of thing.

Keep the sheep in check down on The Curragh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Feeona wrote: »
    Pat Kenny is an idiot. A broadcaster who thinks he knows how to do everyone else's jobs without any experience or knowledge of said jobs.

Good to see the guest showing him up on his self-righteousness.

Bollox.
    Of course they should cut the fúcking grass themselves. What exactly do they do all day? It's not like we're at war, or going to be - what do the 8000 or so (i think) soldiers do all day, that has them so busy that a handfull of them can't spend an hour or two on a lawnmower?

From the stories I hear it's mostly riding the commanding officer's fit daughter and shooting guns. It's a pity I'm not home, I'd love to join the cadets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

kfallon wrote: »

Keep the sheep in check down on The Curragh!
    That is actually true! When the sheep get out of hand they have to round them up in their jeeps.

As well as threatening anyone taking photos in the general area :D (There are signs up)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Seachmall wrote: »
    I think the soldiers should cut the grass.

Procurement bloke said a lot of the work the army do is contracted out. Cutting grass is only one thing. I think he said vehicle servicing too.

Seriously though. Does anyone believe people in RTE are ''too busy''? I'd reckon talk to Joe could do his show from a mobile while sitting on a ride on mower.

Pat Kenny might as well be in the Curragh as no one gives a fiddlers waht he thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

ah ha ha ha ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think people should look after their own surroundings. No wonder the cost of everything is through the roof when everyone wants to sit around shouting orders at servants.

It would take a few people at most a day to do this kind of work but instead we'd rather pay someone to do it for us so we can go on living the illusion that we're all entitled lords of Ireland.

Bollox.
    Of course they should cut the fúcking grass themselves. What exactly do they do all day? It's not like we're at war, or going to be - what do the 8000 or so (i think) soldiers do all day, that has them so busy that a handfull of them can't spend an hour or two on a lawnmower?

And bollox to you too!

I still stand by my opinion that Pat Kenny is a a self righteous, smug fuppin' grasshole!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They also want to procure the services of a person who will photograph Seals from the sky

all the while some people sit in the dark with no heating

Ireland 2012

ScumLord wrote: »
    No wonder the cost of everything is through the roof when everyone wants to sit around shouting orders at servants.

Pat Kenny seems to be shouting the loudest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Feeona wrote: »
    And bollox to you too!

I still stand by my opinion that Pat Kenny is a a self righteous, smug fuppin' grasshole!

No, no, no!
    That wasn't the bit i bolloxed. I agree with that bit!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Wonder if any of these state bodies needs and arse kicking service? I'm available........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

You know what AH thinks, rabble rabble rabble, that's what AH thinks.

But that's what makes AH so entertaining:)

Anyhow I have little time for Pat Kenny. He's an overpaid condescending middle-class windbag who's living on a completely different planet to most ordinary people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I don't think the army would mind a bit of gardening "Predator style"... Linky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think people should look after their own surroundings. No wonder the cost of everything is through the roof when everyone wants to sit around shouting orders at servants.

It would take a few people at most a day to do this kind of work but instead we'd rather pay someone to do it for us so we can go on living the illusion that we're all entitled lords of Ireland.

I am a fuckin entitled lord of Ireland - the O'Nodin of clan Nodin - and I've the big hairy hole to prove it. Now fuck off and get me tea. No sugar, feck all milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Grass isn't the only thing I would cut at RTÉ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Bollox.

demarcation in the workplace is what it's all about.

you'll never get a soldier cutting grass, because the unions say it's not their job. just like a security guard wouldn't change a light bulb in his office.
    pat kenny wouldn't cut the grass because there'd need to be a risk assessment done first, can't have RTE's prize star pouring petrol into a lawnmower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

So AH should RTE or PS workers be asked to cut grass, paint walls or clean up in their own offices?

What do you think?

CE participants cut a lot of the grass around the counties afaik. Social welfare recipients should be out doing it too imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Pat Kenny being over paid is not his problem. We all try to get make as much money as possible from our jobs. In fairness to him he does do a good job on that frontline program he has, and gets good listener ratings in the mornings.
    But yea, he is over paid. At least he was when he was doing the late late show. I have no idea what kind of money he is on now.

I'm not his biggest fan either though to be honest, but I hear he's actually good craic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

What do you think?

Why would I want to cut the grass where I work it's not what I'm paid to do.
    People on the dole on the other hand are paid to sit at home scratching let them do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

ntlbell wrote: »
    cut his f*cking wages the pompus prick

Cut him

hondasam wrote: »
    Why would I want to cut the grass where I work it's not what I'm paid to do.

So if the boss asked you to do it you'd object? Say the rostering system puts you in for grass cutting between 10am and 1 pm next Tuesday. What would you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

G'wan Pat do a bit of work ourra dat.

Hasnt he done plenty of gardening in his time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Bob: Dammit I have to go home now and cut the grass or the wife will be nagging me

Ed: Do you have a ride-on?

Bob: I do yeah but only if I cut the grass first....

I quite like cutting grass actually. It's very soothing. Only on a ride-on though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Sky King wrote: »
    Bob: Dammit I have to go home now and cut the grass or the wife will be nagging me

Ed: Do you have a ride-on wide on?

Bob: I do yeah but only if I cut the grass first....

I quite like cutting grass actually. It's very soothing. Only on a ride-on though

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

If living close to Pat Kenny, make sure to keep your own grass short. One man didn't. Before he knew it Pat could conceal his herd of badgers in the long grass and then claim ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

squod wrote: »
    So if the boss asked you to do it you'd object? Say the rostering system puts you in for grass cutting between 10am and 1 pm next Tuesday. What would you do?

I do not cut the grass at home.
    My boss knows me better than to make such a stupid request. I do the job I'm paid to do. It would never happen.

hondasam wrote: »
    I do not cut the grass at home.
    My boss knows me better than to make such a stupid request. I do the job I'm paid to do. It would never happen.

So you'd leave then. Is that the answer? I don't believe anyone would refuse to do it if it was scheduled like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Pat Kenny doesn't even cut his own grass.
    I know because I've hired lawnmowers out to his gardener before.

• Advertisement
Advertisement