Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Clerical Positions in the Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

lolli wrote: »
    aine92 wrote: »

Does anyone know how often the pay is?

have you worked in the civil service before?

I have yeah, worked for the council last year so!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Hey folks,

I'd recommend you keep ringing the applic office and keep annoying them about it if you havent heard back!
    I got the qualifying email and heard nothing so I kept annoying them about it and I got offered a contract and the lady was so lovely about it, usually if you're waiting then they're trying to find you a placement thats 100% as convenient as possible for you.

It's weekly if you go in at clerical officer leve :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

I was let go from my temp job recently, so there will be another vacancy there for one of ye!

I'm gutted to have been let go now as I was hoping to get the summer out of it. I only received 3 days notice, I was told on the Tuesday that my contract was finished on the Friday. The letter of notification was sent to the wrong office...

It's a bizarre system really. My last few days were spent training in new temps to do my own job! The SO's and EO's seem to spend so much of their time training in new staff only for them to be suddenly let go and then more new staff arrive needing to be trained again. It all makes for a rather chaotic working environment, I feel for the customers at our office who are often given wrong information by staff who are being trained 'on the job'.

Having said all that I am really grateful to have had the experience of working as a temp in the Civil Service. It was an incredibly busy job at times (you can probably guess what dept I was in) but the staff were among the best I've ever worked with.

Best of luck to those of you with interviews or jobs coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DjMk

Hey folks,

I'd recommend you keep ringing the applic office and keep annoying them about it if you havent heard back!
    I got the qualifying email and heard nothing so I kept annoying them about it and I got offered a contract and the lady was so lovely about it, usually if you're waiting then they're trying to find you a placement thats 100% as convenient as possible for you.

Hey Aine92, I'm in the same position you were in. I passed the interview and got the qualifying email over a month ago and haven't heard anything since. What office/number did you call when you rang? I'm gonna give them a quick call tomorrow. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

DjMk wrote: »
    Hey Aine92, I'm in the same position you were in. I passed the interview and got the qualifying email over a month ago and haven't heard anything since. What office/number did you call when you rang? I'm gonna give them a quick call tomorrow. Cheers

You may not hear anything for a while but do not give up. This time 2 years ago, I had given up hope. Was stuck in a job I hated but at the end of July, they rang me for a 2 year contract, which has now been extended to December.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Woohoo! 12 weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭cocaholic

Damn it, never signed up so I missed out. Is the publicjobs.ie website safe and legit? the only reason I'm asking is because they ask for PPS number.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

cocaholic wrote: »
    Damn it, never signed up so I missed out. Is the publicjobs.ie website safe and legit? the only reason I'm asking is because they ask for PPS number.

PublicJobs.ie is the official Government page for public service job listings. It's most certainly legit.

Did any of this years temps on here apply for the position which came up in the Irish Prison Service recently?

It was a new grade called Prison Administration & Support Officer and was only open to those currently serving in the Civil Service. Just interested to know if any temps applied.

V480 wrote: »
    Did any of this years temps on here apply for the position which came up in the Irish Prison Service recently?

It was a new grade called Prison Administration & Support Officer and was only open to those currently serving in the Civil Service. Just interested to know if any temps applied.

I would have, only you have to have a minimum of 2 years service, and I don't have that until 4th August.

Also, I may be bullsh*ttin but if I recall correctly, a colleague of mine (also a temp) asked our HR if she would be eligible to apply as she had (at the time) 18 months TCO service but she also had 6 months service as a Field Supervisor in Census 2006 and I think he said that temp service doesn't count... :( Which, if true, is TOTALLY unfair. Just because we are temporary, doesn't mean we do any less of a job than the permanent people!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

V480 wrote: »

As far as I know it's not open to temps.

Edit: Yep, you must have two years service at CO grade to apply

Link

mmcn90 wrote: »
    As far as I know it's not open to temps.

Edit: Yep, you must have two years service at CO grade to apply

Link

You were fed the wrong information there. It was open to temps, but you had to be currently serving in the Civil Service and have at least two years experience at CO or 'an eligable grade', which presumably could include census work.

I don't think there was too much interest in it from full-time CO's from what I've heard.

Hey I'm four weeks into my first post in the civil service and am wondering is it easier to get in the following year seeing that you will have already have experience in the civil service ?

haro124 wrote: »
    Hey I'm four weeks into my first post in the civil service and am wondering is it easier to get in the following year seeing that you will have already have experience in the civil service ?

I don't think so. It is based on your answers in the self assessment questionaire whether you get an interview or not. If you make it to interview stage, I would say the experience would stand to you.

Next week, i'll be in my current TCO position 2 years (contract expires end of December) and I applied for this years round and I got in the reserve group :(

I didn't even get called for an interview this year after doing it last year, I know a lot of people the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I applied one year, and got a contract.

Applied the next year, didn't get even reserve band.

Applied the following year again, and got top band, an interview and onto a panel.

Am certain I aswered the questions the same way each year. It wouldn't surprise me if they're taking an "every second year" approach, in order to share the work around.

JustMary wrote: »
    I applied one year, and got a contract.

Applied the next year, didn't get even reserve band.

Applied the following year again, and got top band, an interview and onto a panel.

Am certain I aswered the questions the same way each year. It wouldn't surprise me if they're taking an "every second year" approach, in order to share the work around.
    Thanks for that ! I asked the people in my office and they thought that seeing that you have worked in the civil service before you should get it easier ! ( This is the first year the office had temporary staff )
    If I want a reference will I get it from my office or HR in my Department ( JELR) ???
    Thanks !

As far as I know, they won't give written references (surprisingly common) at all. My HEO agreed to be a referee on my CV though.

As far as I know, they won't give written references (surprisingly common) at all. My HEO agreed to be a referee on my CV though.
    Thanks for that !

They give written references in our department. They get your HEO to assess your overall performance at the end of your contract and then HR do up a reference based on that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭ciaramc

Hi all,

I was just wondering about Pension for TCOs. As far as I remember last year as a TCO I got some money deducted from my salary for a pension. This year I notice there is no deductions for pension.

I was just wondering why we arent getting pension deducted this year?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

ciaramc wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was just wondering about Pension for TCOs. As far as I remember last year as a TCO I got some money deducted from my salary for a pension. This year I notice there is no deductions for pension.

I was just wondering why we arent getting pension deducted this year?

Thanks

I have money coming out of my pay every week for my pension.

lolli wrote: »
    I have money coming out of my pay every week for my pension.

I too have money coming out every week, but it is not a pension contribution. It is the pension related deduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Thanks for that ! I asked the people in my office and they thought that seeing that you have worked in the civil service before you should get it easier ! ( This is the first year the office had temporary staff )
    If I want a reference will I get it from my office or HR in my Department ( JELR) ???
    Thanks !

My manager HEO gave me a written reference and said it was ok to put her name on my cv. So maybe it varies in different sections.

I used the written reference for this years interview and it helped cos I got the job:)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Orlagh123

Hi there! I just saw some comments there about people working as tco's in the civil service and being on a higher rate of pay than others; is that only for those on the longer temporary contracts or for all tcos?
    I'm asking because I worked as a tco for a few summers (before 2011), didn't get it last year and I was lucky to get it again this year (just for the summer), and I was wondering would I be entitled to a higher rate of pay? Just thought I'd ask if anyone knew, if not, it's grand, just thankful to have the job!!:)

Orlagh123 wrote: »
    Hi there! I just saw some comments there about people working as tco's in the civil service and being on a higher rate of pay than others; is that only for those on the longer temporary contracts or for all tcos?
    I'm asking because I worked as a tco for a few summers (before 2011), didn't get it last year and I was lucky to get it again this year (just for the summer), and I was wondering would I be entitled to a higher rate of pay? Just thought I'd ask if anyone knew, if not, it's grand, just thankful to have the job!!:)

You would only be entitled to a higher rate of pay once you have completed 1 years service. I am not sure if 6 month contracts here and there add to your service, your HR department would be able to tell you.

For example, I have been in my current department since August 2010. In August 2011, I received an increment (salary increase). And again in August 2012. This is why my pay would be higher than someone who say started in January 2012.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Orlagh123 wrote: »

Of course it's up to you to remind HR in your department that you previously worked as a TCO. Otherwise they will put you on the reduced rate that all new TCOs start on. Even if you only worked as TCO for a few months four or five years ago. You would still be entitled to be put on the older higher clerical pay scale. Because you are not classed as a 'new entrant'.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Orlagh123

Monife wrote: »
    You would only be entitled to a higher rate of pay once you have completed 1 years service. I am not sure if 6 month contracts here and there add to your service, your HR department would be able to tell you.

For example, I have been in my current department since August 2010. In August 2011, I received an increment (salary increase). And again in August 2012. This is why my pay would be higher than someone who say started in January 2012.
    phoenix999 wrote: »
    Of course it's up to you to remind HR in your department that you previously worked as a TCO. Otherwise they will put you on the reduced rate that all new TCOs start on. Even if you only worked as TCO for a few months four or five years ago. You would still be entitled to be put on the older higher clerical pay scale. Because you are not classed as a 'new entrant'.

Thanks for yere replies! I think I'll give them a ring just to see, no harm anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Does anyone know when this campaign starts again is it likely to be next year around Spring time?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Yes usually Feb/march every year. You can sign up for job updates at publicjobs.ie and they will email you when next campaign gets underway. Check out the Local Government website too. Jobs appear there every so often too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement