Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Clerical Positions in the Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Little off topic but someone might know..

I'm now a permanent clerical officer.

I previously worked 6 months temporary - Would this count towards my service i.e. after 6 months permanent should I move up on the scale as I have previously worked 6 months temporary?

It's different departments - Education / Social Welfare

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

PopTarts wrote: »
    Little off topic but someone might know..

I'm now a permanent clerical officer.

I previously worked 6 months temporary - Would this count towards my service i.e. after 6 months permanent should I move up on the scale as I have previously worked 6 months temporary?

It's different departments - Education / Social Welfare

Thanks

As far as I know, service as a TCO does count. Your best bet would be to check with your HR section.

*Hope you don't mind me asking, but how did you become permanent? Or have you been permanent since before Croke Park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

Yep, any department counts as part of your service so go look for that increment raise!

So, how did everyone find their summer TCO job? Mine was actually very hard work, but grand all the same. Nice co-workers, which was good!

I have just been informed that, because I completed a TCO contract this summer, I am now taken OFF the panel for this year and will not have any chance of getting another contract. Is this true? I always assumed I'd be put back onto the panel for the rest of this year when I finished my contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I have just been informed that, because I completed a TCO contract this summer, I am now taken OFF the panel for this year and will not have any chance of getting another contract. Is this true? I always assumed I'd be put back onto the panel for the rest of this year when I finished my contract?

Yes, this is true, and was stated somewhere in this year's recruitment process.

It was not how things worked in the past, and has mightly annoyed a number of local managers who trained people up, only to have to let them go again.

But from a broader government perpsective, it spreads the work (and associated social / mental-health benefits) around more people.

And from a job-seeker perspective, I believe that 13 weeks work sets your JSB eligibilty back to one years worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

All I got last year was an 8 week contract, I even got to train my replacement, he only got 8 weeks as well.

Still have my fingers crossed for getting a call this year.

Yeah I thought it must be a new thing alright, as I hadn't heard of it before. It really sucks, but I guess it's only fair that everyone gets a chance to get some work. Makes absolutely no sense in busy departments where people are only getting used to the work when they're nearly ready to go though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Hmm I didn't mind my job this year ! Most of the other TCO'S were incredibly easy to get along with and not even half of us finished our contracts (People left for permanent jobs) ! I felt that some of the senior managment never took our proposals on board! In my office they did'nt take on enough people and when all contracts are finished they are going to be swamped with work ! I would do it again next year though ! I would'nt mind being in the same office though but I know that that's unlikely !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Is it just a random by number thing like a lottery and a load of luck if you get through the system? I've been through it twice with no luck. Could be down to locations where limited number of positions be?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

While I'm not sure if it's totally random - (hope not, anyway!) - there's definitely luck involved. I've two children who are third level students (I shall call them A and B for the purposes of this demonstration :P) and this is how it's been for them when they applied for the Term time Temporary Clerical Officer positions for the past three years. A is a year older than B.

2010 A got interview & was told she was successful & was on panel.
    B was on the 'reserve' - didn't get called for interview
    A never got called to start the job.
    B was better off as she looked for another job quickly & got it.

2011 A & B both got called for interview
    A was told she was successful & would go on panel
    B got a letter saying she didn't meet their standard
    (but she was the better candidate of the two - so who knows what they were looking for! She had better references, had more work experience, and they asked her loads about her voluntary work. They were interviewed by different panels - must have been a personality thing, but I couldn't understand why they gave B a long interview and then rejected her!)

A got 10 weeks' work with Revenue - it was o.k. Not really busy.

2012 B got called for interview and was successful. Short interview this time.
    A was on the 'reserve' - didn't get called for interview.
    B got 12 weeks' work with Social Protection - hard work, dealing with the public, but at least it felt like a real job - busy and worthwhile.

My own experience as regards the Temporary Clerical Officers we get into my job each summer - some are great, some are average, and one or two were lazy lumps who did their best to avoid work and took advantage of the system. I heard one of those was re-employed the following summer in the same department, different location - can't understand the logic of a lazy lump getting another chance while perfectly good candidates didn't get the opportunity in the first place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

That comes to show what happens really. I've applied to the TCO campaigns three times. Once a few years ago took them three months to get back to me with a rejection letter to say I didn't get an interview and the contract was over that point!

I applied to the civil/public service before and worked for a couple of months there alright which was great experience.

Applied for the TCO campaigns the past two years and to no avail been on reserve the past two years which is disheartening considering I have worked in the civil/public service before. Though could been down to the locations I am picking Kerry and Limerick and one town in Kerry. And that one town I had heard had a number of jobs in the local revenue. I was a bit teed off I wasn't offered an interview at all. So might have to venture further afield to Cork, Galway or Dublin next time?

The questionnaire is purely bureaucratic, answered questions slightly different between the two years but answered them the same way for most questions to be honest, was it other questions there that I should have taken more note of? The annoying thing is they don't want a CV? Pure random and luck how they pick them off the system in my opinion. I suppose depends what candidates you are up against too?

While I'm not sure if it's totally random - (hope not, anyway!) - there's definitely luck involved. I've two children who are third level students (I shall call them A and B for the purposes of this demonstration :P) and this is how it's been for them when they applied for the Term time Temporary Clerical Officer positions for the past three years. A is a year older than B.

2010 A got interview & was told she was successful & was on panel.
    B was on the 'reserve' - didn't get called for interview
    A never got called to start the job.
    B was better off as she looked for another job quickly & got it.

2011 A & B both got called for interview
    A was told she was successful & would go on panel
    B got a letter saying she didn't meet their standard
    (but she was the better candidate of the two - so who knows what they were looking for! She had better references, had more work experience, and they asked her loads about her voluntary work. They were interviewed by different panels - must have been a personality thing, but I couldn't understand why they gave B a long interview and then rejected her!)

A got 10 weeks' work with Revenue - it was o.k. Not really busy.

2012 B got called for interview and was successful. Short interview this time.
    A was on the 'reserve' - didn't get called for interview.
    B got 12 weeks' work with Social Protection - hard work, dealing with the public, but at least it felt like a real job - busy and worthwhile.

My own experience as regards the Temporary Clerical Officers we get into my job each summer - some are great, some are average, and one or two were lazy lumps who did their best to avoid work and took advantage of the system. I heard one of those was re-employed the following summer in the same department, different location - can't understand the logic of a lazy lump getting another chance while perfectly good candidates didn't get the opportunity in the first place!

This infuriates me. There was one person in our department who was constantly out sick, had been taken off the flexi system for having a minus balance nearly all the time and put on cheque payment to make sure they came into work to pick up their cheque. They were about to get sacked and then they got a job offer from this years TCO panel and resigned. The sickening thing is, the job could be 2 years or more!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

My cousin just stretched the truth a little and said he was 'better than most' in all of the questions. And he got a job the last two years in Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Belkin1975

Hi all,

I got a contract to roll out the new Public Service Cards. It is for 6mths initially. The 6 mths are nearly up and we are only beginning to roll out the cards. I could be there for another year :) I don't mean to sound ungrateful but after I pay for childcare/fuel/lunch etc I take home about €90. Then I am coming home to 3 kids 3,5,8 that are cranky and ready for bed. Then I have to make dinner/laundry/homework etc. I am home alone as my husband works away and most evenings when the kids are fighting with each other and me I wonder is it worth it? I feel if a single person had this job it would be financially viable for them and give them a chance. I feel I'd rather spend the time with my kids rather than missing the time with them for €90.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭ciaramc

Belkin1975 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I got a contract to roll out the new Public Service Cards. It is for 6mths initially. The 6 mths are nearly up and we are only beginning to roll out the cards. I could be there for another year :) I don't mean to sound ungrateful but after I pay for childcare/fuel/lunch etc I take home about €90. Then I am coming home to 3 kids 3,5,8 that are cranky and ready for bed. Then I have to make dinner/laundry/homework etc. I am home alone as my husband works away and most evenings when the kids are fighting with each other and me I wonder is it worth it? I feel if a single person had this job it would be financially viable for them and give them a chance. I feel I'd rather spend the time with my kids rather than missing the time with them for €90.

If you feel its not viable for you, leave the job to spend time with the kids. Do what feels right for you.

Does anyone know if any of the departments are recruiting temporary staff? My current contract ends in December and would love another position in the Civil Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Monife wrote: »
    Does anyone know if any of the departments are recruiting temporary staff? My current contract ends in December and would love another position in the Civil Service.

Departments don't recruit directly, they recruit from the panel what was establisehd by the process at the start of this thread.

If you've had a position from the panel already, then policy is that you cannot be offered another one. (I don't know if this policy is still be enforced.)

But I can confirm that one department in Galway is currently recruiting TCO for 2-3 month contracts.

JustMary wrote: »
    Departments don't recruit directly, they recruit from the panel what was establisehd by the process at the start of this thread.

If you've had a position from the panel already, then policy is that you cannot be offered another one. (I don't know if this policy is still be enforced.)

But I can confirm that one department in Galway is currently recruiting TCO for 2-3 month contracts.

Thanks for that. I knew that already but had heard on the grapevine that some people got civil service contracts through recruitment agencies for the household charge and for the roll out of the new social welfare cards. I have been in my job over 2 years and applied for the TCO panel every year (because I didn't know if my contract would be renewed or not) and I got an interview every year and got in the top band but this year I only made the reserve panel (with no invitation to interview) :(

JustMary wrote: »

I'm on the Galway panel and can confirm that I had a position for the summer, and was told I won't be chosen again. I understand the policy, but it sucks because I would love more work instead of sitting on my arse sending out CVs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Some Departments do recruit directly, usually through FAS. The vast majority use the publicjobs panels though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

Yep, any department counts as part of your service so go look for that increment raise!

Sorry to drag this up again but if the time was with an agency for the same job does it still count towards an increment?

I was with an agency for a year and am now fixed term contract in public sector, should i be on the next point of the scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Carrew

I made the top panel for Galway this year but haven't heard a word about an interview etc. since. Just wondering if there's anybody else in Galway or anywhere else in a similar situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

That's crazy. Always thought people in the top band were virtually guaranteed work.

KilOit wrote: »
    Sorry to drag this up again but if the time was with an agency for the same job does it still count towards an increment?

I was with an agency for a year and am now fixed term contract in public sector, should i be on the next point of the scale?

I'm not sure about that one, but I'm sure if you ring HR and make an enquiry, they'd be able to let you know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Flunch

Yep Carrew the same thing happened to me for Dublin this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

Got a call this morning for a T.C.O. job starting on monday, did an interview today, anyone else hear anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

I know that people (like myself) who worked in the Public Service as TCOs prior to 2010 get paid on the old higher clerical payscale. If I was offered another TCO position, would I be put back on 1st point of the scale again? People have given me conflicting answers on it.

I know that people (like myself) who worked in the Public Service as TCOs prior to 2010 get paid on the old higher clerical payscale. If I was offered another TCO position, would I be put back on 1st point of the scale again? People have given me conflicting answers on it.

Depends on what department you were in. If it was Civil Service administration like the Department of Social Protection, Department of Health, Department of An Taoiseach etc then you would go back on the point of the scale that you were at when you completed your last TCO contract.

If it was semi-state or public service like the Gardaí, HSE, Councils etc, I think there may be different rules.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement