Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Clerical Positions in the Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

phoenix999 wrote: »
    The Passport Office in Cork is also recruiting for 5-6 month contracts.

Is that near the airport?

Have they started to advertise the 2013 temporary clerical positions campaign yet haven't seen anything yet on the publicjobs.ie website other than a few jobs I could apply for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

doovdela wrote: »

Is that near the airport?

Have they started to advertise the 2013 temporary clerical positions campaign yet haven't seen anything yet on the publicjobs.ie website other than a few jobs I could apply for.

No it's in South Mall, Cork city centre. Weren't advertised on publicjobs. It's being done via Fas. 2013 campaign will probably start in Feb/March in the New Year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

I have been called for interview for 6 month TCO job with passport office. Anyone advise of type of questions I should expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

I have been called for interview for 6 month TCO job with passport office. Anyone advise of type of questions I should expect?

Well I had 3 months in the Dept of Justice in the summer but I presume the interviews are pretty similar ! Was between 5-10 mins and just really asked me about what I said on my application e.g how good your typing skills are etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jess79

Hi, I also had interview for passport office. Have you heard anything back yet? I haven't & I'm getting a bit worried now...

• Advertisement

Jess79 wrote: »

Hi, I also had interview for passport office. Have you heard anything back yet? I haven't & I'm getting a bit worried now...

He said we should hear before Xmas. However, he also said they were interviewing people who had worked there before, so we were at a disadvantage to begin with. My Irish is also rather rusty these days. But we should know either way this week. The temporary panel will also be starting again in a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cabbage crotch

They were pretty clear at interview with anyone who had already worked there that they had no advantage over applicants who were coming from 'outside' so don't feel disheartened. Letters should start arriving today. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jess79

He said we should hear before Xmas. However, he also said they were interviewing people who had worked there before, so we were at a disadvantage to begin with. My Irish is also rather rusty these days. But we should know either way this week. The temporary panel will also be starting again in a few weeks.
    Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Got a phone call today offering me a 6 month contract in the Molesworth Street Passport Office. Start date not until end of January or start of February.

EDIT: I have never worked in the passport office but this week is my last week of a 2 and a half year contract with another government agency.

I got a letter, you have been placed on a panel. I won't hold my breathe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 LauraH12345

Just out of interest what's the rate of pay for these jobs in the passport office.?
    I'm currently a TCO in another government dept just want to compare
    Just been reading thru the posts here and when ye say that after you finish your contract that you can't be offered another tco in the same year? I know someone who's contract was up last month and she's working away in te same dept still?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Just out of interest what's the rate of pay for these jobs in the passport office.?

The same as you're on I'd imagine, the TCO pay grade.

Just been reading thru the posts here and when ye say that after you finish your contract that you can't be offered another tco in the same year? I know someone who's contract was up last month and she's working away in te same dept still?

Yes, the pay is the same. But you are entitled to pay increments as a TCO too when you build up your service. And it doesn't have to be in the same department.

They were pretty clear at interview with anyone who had already worked there that they had no advantage over applicants who were coming from 'outside' so don't feel disheartened. Letters should start arriving today. Good luck!

Any luck yourself?

I didn't apply this round but I know a couple of people who did. One got back in and two were placed on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

Hi, does anyone know when the next competition will be held for TCOs? Is it coming up soon? If I sign up with publicjobs will I get notified directly ?

dubdub123 wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know when the next competition will be held for TCOs? Is it coming up soon? If I sign up with publicjobs will I get notified directly ?

It's usually around February or March. Register and sign up for the admin job alerts and they will notify you by email.

Grand thanks. Just set up an account and a few alerts for Admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mascherano11

I was on the reserve list for Dublin after applying last year, got an email today inviting me for an interview for a six month contract in the Department of Expenditure and social reform! Anyone any idea what the interview is like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Plenty of tips given earlier in this thread. Interview is usually just a formality. Ensure you know your CV inside out and be able to match your skills and experience to the job ie dealing with the public, working to deadlines, repetitive work etc.

Nice to know that people on the reserve list are getting a shot, albeit it nearly one year later!

• Advertisement

Any word on the new competition? I signed up for public jobs but worried I may miss it .

dubdub123 wrote: »
    Any word on the new competition? I signed up for public jobs but worried I may miss it .

It's usually around the end of February or some time in March.

If you haven't signed up for alerts, regularly check the publicjobs.ie website for these job openings.

I wouldn't put much hope in many vacancies being opened to be honest paid ones at that they might be unpaid if they have a lot of them. With the overhaul on the public/civil service at the moment and the cuts I honestly don't know will they continue with opening up new temp positions but I suppose they have to keep it running if short staffed and keep things running smoothly and sustain the public/civil service?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Maggiesims

I have an interview next week for a 10 week contract. I did a 10 week contract 2 years ago and when my contract was up I was told I can only be given 1 contract per member on the panel and when my contract was up I was off the panel which was fair enough (would have liked a longer contract but it was good to get 10 weeks)

My query is for anyone who has been a TCO in 2012-13, is it the same story or was your contract extended?? I have been offered a 9 month contract with another company but I would consider taking TCO if there was a chance my contract would be extended.

Thanks.

I've applied to them for the past two years and not even get onto reserve stage one and have worked in that area before which bugs me that they don't at least allow you to upload your CV.

Their system for applications for these campaigns are all over the place and too strict all depends how you answer the questionnaire. If one aspect is a write of your written off straight away or is it a numbers game that its a random thing picked by a database who knows! Or how soon you apply? Or based on location? If you don't meet their criteria regarding the questions you deemed unsuitable and put in reserve 2. :(

Maggiesims wrote: »
    I have an interview next week for a 10 week contract. I did a 10 week contract 2 years ago and when my contract was up I was told I can only be given 1 contract per member on the panel and when my contract was up I was off the panel which was fair enough (would have liked a longer contract but it was good to get 10 weeks)

My query is for anyone who has been a TCO in 2012-13, is it the same story or was your contract extended?? I have been offered a 9 month contract with another company but I would consider taking TCO if there was a chance my contract would be extended.

Thanks.

The panels are usually for a 12 month period so once you get a contract within the 12 months you're effectively off the panel (I know there are occasional exceptions to this and someone always knows someone whose sister got a 2nd contract but in practice it's rare enough these days). Contract extensions happen occasionally where the job requires it, but they tend to be reasonably thin on the ground, and it would be extremely unlikely (though not impossible!) that a 10 week contract would extend to months.

I was a TCO for a few years in different departments and the panels have been renewed every 12 months with the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭josieb

There was temporary clerical jobs advertised in Galway Advertiser today, not sure does will they come from panel or do you have to apply again. Maybe check the public jobs website as well. Said I just let people know.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

when the numbers applying are huge they use a lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

josieb wrote: »
    There was temporary clerical jobs advertised in Galway Advertiser today, not sure does will they come from panel or do you have to apply again. Maybe check the public jobs website as well. Said I just let people know.

Hi Josieb, there is no mention of these positions on the Public jobs website.
    Could you send on the Galway advertiser link for applications if you have it handy? Thanks.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Hi Josieb, there is no mention of these positions on the Public jobs website.
    Could you send on the Galway advertiser link for applications if you have it handy? Thanks.:)

If you go onto galwayadvertiser.ie you can read the paper there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement