Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Clerical Positions in the Public Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Dogdaysareover

It was just an observation by two people that have been through this process already and worked in departments before. It wasn't turning into a rant.

And it's a genuine question - if departments don't truly need the staff (I know social protection do, but some others don't), will they cut back on positions this time around to save cash?

Fair enough but ultimately these are not permanent positions and only last a few weeks.
    As someone who has got work from this scheme I was very appreciative of the opportunity.
    Anyway it's not looking positive for this summer so maybe it won't be an issue..........

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

Fair enough but ultimately these are not permanent positions and only last a few weeks.
    As someone who has got work from this scheme I was very appreciative of the opportunity.
    Anyway it's not looking positive for this summer so maybe it won't be an issue..........

I'm in there too and damn grateful that the place is run the way it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 07472161

Becoming worrying that there's still no advertisements yet! Been checking public jobs everyday and nothing!

Does anyone know anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Toasterparks

07472161 wrote: »
    Becoming worrying that there's still no advertisements yet! Been checking public jobs everyday and nothing!

Does anyone know anything about it?

Yeah, I'm checking too, but nothing. Keep getting hopeful when I see a new post in this thread!

What's the latest these posts have been advertised in other years?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Arenal

THERE WON'T ANY ADVERTISEMENT FOR SUMMER/PART TIME RECRUITS. THERE IS A RECRUITMENT EMBARGO.

• Advertisement

Arenal wrote: »
    THERE WON'T ANY ADVERTISEMENT FOR SUMMER/PART TIME RECRUITS. THERE IS A RECRUITMENT EMBARGO.

Really, they advertised last year, where did find out about that Arenal?

I didn't hear of any particular recruitment embargo on temp summer staff, could you elaborate on this for us Arenal?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't have a link - but am sure I've seen a suggestion somewhere that last year's panel may last for more than one year.

They have "always" advertised in February in the past, maybe things are different this year.

I don't have a link - but am sure I've seen a suggestion somewhere that last year's panel may last for more than one year.

They have "always" advertised in February in the past, maybe things are different this year.

That'd be crap, seeing as how I worked last summer with them. Apparently they take people 'off the panel' once you've worked in a temp position, so you can't secure a second temp contract. Grr.

There will be part time summer positions this summer the embargo does not apply to this as the embargo has been running for a few years now. Would think though it will be a smaller number of positions than previously and wont be put on publicjobs until end of March

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

RUBBISH. The embargo has been in place for years, and it applies to permanent positions only. Temporary workers have and continue to be recruited to the PS. The Passport Office alone has recruited over 100 temps in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

The Passport Office alone has recruited over 100 temps in the last few weeks.

did they advertise these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

gline wrote: »

did they advertise these?

Yes they were advertised on the Fas website for the Cork and Dublin offices. About 30 in Cork and the rest in Dublin. Their contracts are due to run from February to August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Yes they were advertised on the Fas website for the Cork and Dublin offices. About 30 in Cork and the rest in Dublin. Their contracts are due to run from February to August.

I was offered one of the Dublin positions but I didn't apply for them. They called me off last years Reserve Panel. Had interview in December. They too told me that they would run from February til August but rang me at the end of January and told me they would run from March til September.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭davydoc

Apparently ( and I have this on good authority ) recruitment for the temp positions will begin either next week or the week after :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Apologies if it's been said already, but will these be advertised on publicjobs.ie?

Yes they will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

davydoc wrote: »
    Apparently ( and I have this on good authority ) recruitment for the temp positions will begin either next week or the week after :)

In my organisation it will be next week.

Rafa1977 wrote: »
    In my organisation it will be next week.

Thanks Rafa, what organisation is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Chelsea Football club !!

Sorry couldnt help it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

Oireachtas. Sorry don't have any other info, one of my collageues had mentioned it the other day to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Was told last night in work was going live, glad to see finally !!! Apparently the hold up is nothing to do with the Croke Park talks, more to do with a new application process....

I really don't understand how the first stage is any use to them ...not asking anything of your work experience

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I really don't understand how the first stage is any use to them ...not asking anything of your work experience

I missed last year's application process so I don't know if it's the same or not but it appears to me that you are only registering your interest at this stage (much like writing to a company requesting an application form in the post).

The On-Line screening (Stage1) is where you'll insert all your experience etc....

bijou

Thats the way it was last year - you registered your interest and then you got an email with a link to an online test and just filled it out there, then you were called to an interview...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

bijou wrote: »
    The On-Line screening (Stage1) is where you'll insert all your experience etc....

That's not the way it was last year, when you got to say how many jobs you've had in the last five years, and answer a number of indicator questions.

For the most part, these are basic clerical jobs: if you're smart enough to do the on-line screening test, you will be smart enough to do the job, no matter what your expereince-level is.

I mean it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But meh.
    If you're right, and completing the online application is an indicator to them that you''ll be able to do the job, then woohoo :D there's actually a chance I'll get this. I think I may cry.
    kinda can't wait till the beginning of April though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

I just applied there and I HAD to tick I was interested in the Garda Reserve in order to submit my application. I have no interest in the Garda Reserve but had to say yes in order to progress.

Just to confirm the initial doc I submitted only allowed me to express my interest it asked no detail whatsoever from me regarding my cv. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

is there any point in applying if i have exams in first week in May? Do you have to be available for the month of April and all of May?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement