Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Clerical Positions in the Public Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

gline wrote: »
    is there any point in applying if i have exams in first week in May? Do you have to be available for the month of April and all of May?

Just indicate on the form the dates you aren't available. Most summer positions don't start until June. So you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Orlagh123

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    I just applied there and I HAD to tick I was interested in the Garda Reserve in order to submit my application. I have no interest in the Garda Reserve but had to say yes in order to progress.

There was no mention of the Garda Reserve when I filled out the form, it was just basic info that was already on the form from the last time I filled it out, like your name, address, DOB etc! Are you sure you have the right form??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Mine had a garda reserve thing on it too, a check box down at the bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

Mine had a garda reserve option but I didn't have to tick it to complete the form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

i applied last year but only got that reserve thing which everybody gets. signed up again but barely had to give any info regards availability etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

I think that application thing was just registering your interest. There will be another step to the application next week or the week after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

The Garda reserve thing is only on the page where you register for publicjobs.ie :)

The application form is just your details and very little of them required , including your signature and date . Next stage will be an email to say thanks for applying. Then shortly after another email with a link to the online questionnaire . You will be asked to state which 2 areas in Ireland you would work in and your availability. Then about 4 weeks later you get an email to say whether you were successful or not or whether you've been put on reserve. After this , people get called throughout the year for interview . That's all I remember for now. Reading back over the this thread is very useful.

Good luck everyone :)

Keep an eye on your spam , emails from public jobs sometimes head there!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

Thanks my daughter just registered today and filled in the from - pretty much PPS number, name address. She is in 3rd level at the minute but hasn't completed, so obviously put down Leaving Cert as the level she is at now.. Will she meet criteria or do they expect degrees? Will she be eligible will just Leaving Cert ?

I don't think they are particular about that. Just mention any computer courses or skills she has.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

Great thanks. she's just submitted the first thing so from reading above she'll get an email soon enough and have to fill in another form. Would be great if she even got a few weeks on this. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

dubdub123 wrote: »
    Thanks my daughter just registered today and filled in the from - pretty much PPS number, name address. She is in 3rd level at the minute but hasn't completed, so obviously put down Leaving Cert as the level she is at now.. Will she meet criteria or do they expect degrees? Will she be eligible will just Leaving Cert ?
    When I got a position last year 3 of the 7 new recruits were just after finishing our leaving Certs so I don't think it's a major deal! Basic computer skills is all that you really needed , I was even asked how were my photocopying skills !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

hi, i just applied, it didnt ask to attach a cv, should i send it on or just leave it as the online application?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

madma wrote: »
    hi, i just applied, it didnt ask to attach a cv, should i send it on or just leave it as the online application?

Just leave it. They don't want or need your CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Deisegirl11

I worked as a tco last summer, I was only available till September as I was
    Back in college. I know you have to chose availability in the next round as all year round or April to September!
    Does anyone know if I chose all year round will I still be chosen for the summer work or is it a separate panel??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

So I today the day the questionnaire comes around I'm only available middle of may till start of September is this a long enough period? Would I be best saying middle of may till whenever they needed me. I really need this position even just for a few weeks to help pay money for college fees

also what questions will they ask on questionnaire roughly and do I need to attach my cv

Can you not just see what the thing says when you get it? Attach your cv if they specify to do that.

I was just wondering no point spending time updating cv if they don't require it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

bulmersgal wrote: »
    So I today the day the questionnaire comes around I'm only available middle of may till start of September is this a long enough period? Would I be best saying middle of may till whenever they needed me. I really need this position even just for a few weeks to help pay money for college fees

Some people in the civil service take the summer off so there are short contracts available. They usually don't require a CV. The questions are like how good to you rate yourself at typing, photocopying, dealing with the public etc.

bulmersgal wrote: »
    I was just wondering no point spending time updating cv if they don't require it.

But surely you want your cv up to date for applying for other jobs?

• Advertisement

Gongoozler wrote: »
    But surely you want your cv up to date for applying for other jobs?

I do but I'm trying to study for exams in a few weeks so I am going to update it after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Phantasos

Anyone having difficulties doing the questionnaire?

The page wouldn't load for the first 20 minutes, and now I can't get past that first page to start the questionnaire.

Maybe there's just a lot of traffic.

The closing date at the top of the page says midday TODAY, which is a tad unfair seeing as though I hadn't even got the email until an hour later than that! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭murrak123

Has every one received an e-mail to do the actual questionare yet? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

Phantasos wrote: »

The page wouldn't load for the first 20 minutes, and now I can't get past that first page to start the questionnaire.

The closing date at the top of the page says midday TODAY, which is a tad unfair seeing as though I hadn't even got the email until an hour later than that! :P

Closing date is Tuesday the 9th at midday.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Phantasos wrote: »

I just tried mine there and the site is down. It did say at the top of the page Midday 9th of April.

murrak123 wrote: »
    Has every one received an e-mail to do the actual questionare yet? :confused:

I haven't :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Got mine and filled it in, was very straightforward. They don't ask the specifics of the experience they want, just have you done it before in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

Haven't got any email yet either.....

Check your spam . Mine went in there.

• Advertisement

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Check your spam . Mine went in there.

No nothing there :(

I know in information booklet it said to ring or email if we don't get email but I forgot to save the booklet.

Edit, found booklet through Internet search

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement