Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Clerical Positions in the Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭davydoc

It was more akin to a test someone would sit for 'acting up' for the summer - apparently

Also the questions - I enjoy doing meaningless and repetitive tasks - what way would you answer that like ???? I really want this from a job makes you sound like a dumbo, but in reality - it's exactly what it is....Dunno what way this is going to be interpreted .....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

davydoc wrote: »
    Also the questions - I enjoy doing meaningless and repetitive tasks - what way would you answer that like ???? I really want this from a job makes you sound like a dumbo, but in reality - it's exactly what it is....Dunno what way this is going to be interpreted .....

I wouldn't fret about your answers. I applied 2 years in a row and got on the top panel (and a 2 and a half year contract out of one), then I applied last year and got on the reserve panel and I am pretty sure I answered the same way because I just answered honestly.

I got offered a 6 month contract from the reserve panel, 8 months after I applied. So you just never know.

I am currently on a years contract which just ends when this starts - I also passed the last 3 years tests, but this years was way different - even people working with me couldn't answer some of the questions I remembered and asked them. Its all to do with the way they were worded. They were just difficult to try and reason what they were looking for.....but hey ho....let the cards fall where they may...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Just finished the questionaire. Are the situations represented in the questionaire, situations that a temporary Clerical Officer would face? Some of it seemed a bit high level for a 3 month contract employee.

• Advertisement

gline wrote: »
    Just finished the questionaire. Are the situations represented in the questionaire, situations that a temporary Clerical Officer would face? Some of it seemed a bit high level for a 3 month contract employee.

I'm there a year and I never faced anything like any of them :)

To be honest - even co's that are there years - all you need to be able to do is read, write, type and be alphabetically and numerically literate - really not much else....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

To be honest - even co's that are there years - all you need to be able to do is read, write, type and be alphabetically and numerically literate - really not much else....

What Department are you in Davydoc?

Thats what I thought, it seemed a bit OTT, didnt take too long to fill out though so its not a problem. Now the waiting game, also if I get an interview I'll have to see how this will effect BTE and college grants for September etc, :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18 chatterbox93

Won't affect your grant cause you don't earn enough over the summer months and i'm pretty sure it doesn't affect your back to education I think you just sign off for a while just contact you local office anyway and they'll tell you what to do :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 shannone

Thats what I thought, it seemed a bit OTT, didnt take too long to fill out though so its not a problem. Now the waiting game, also if I get an interview I'll have to see how this will effect BTE and college grants for September etc, :(

it wont affect your grant as they look at the previous year's income so it might affect it next year, but I highly doubt that you'd paid that much to alter your situation greatly!

I hate playing the waiting game!! :o

Won't affect your grant cause you don't earn enough over the summer months and i'm pretty sure it doesn't affect your back to education I think you just sign off for a while just contact you local office anyway and they'll tell you what to do :)

Yeh I'll have to go in to the local office and see what they say as I'll also be going off VTOS onto BTE. Thats "if" I get get contacted for an interview anyway. This was the 2nd questionaire I filled in for a job application today, very similar questions, but this one was at a far higher level, above what the job requires form what people are saying.

Yeh I'll have to go in to the local office and see what they say as I'll also be going off VTOS onto BTE. Thats "if" I get get contacted for an interview anyway. This was the 2nd questionaire I filled in for a job application today, very similar questions, but this one was at a far higher level, above what the job requires form what people are saying.

It's all very 'if' at the moment....hate this waiting around :o well hopefully it wont screw up grants for you, my only experience of grants are the county council ones for undergrad, damn susi wouldnt help me out for my masters :(

was chatting to the OH who was filling in the questionaire as a family friend (who works in the civil service was in house) she got told what one of the answers was....it was that question where you didnt have the applicants names to allocate to different offices, apparently the answer was to just send them off randomly as the question said random at the top

got that wrong.....makes me doubt the rest of my questionaire :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Sorry shannone i dont understand what your post said about knowing an answer??

shannone wrote: »
    It's all very 'if' at the moment....hate this waiting around :o well hopefully it wont screw up grants for you, my only experience of grants are the county council ones for undergrad, damn susi wouldnt help me out for my masters :(

was chatting to the OH who was filling in the questionaire as a family friend (who works in the civil service was in house) she got told what one of the answers was....it was that question where you didnt have the applicants names to allocate to different offices, apparently the answer was to just send them off randomly as the question said random at the top

Its mainly the bte id be worried about :(

I dont remember the question you are mentioning, is it possible there is a bank of questions and you get a set number from it?

I probably didn't explain myself too well...sorry!

Just had a really quick google, I guess the job would be classed as temporary so shouldn't affect you but as I said I have no experience of BTE, guess its better safe than sorry to go ask if you get an interview

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Its mainly the bte id be worried about :(

I dont remember the question you are mentioning, is it possible there is a bank of questions and you get a set number from it?
    I didn't get that question either. Made me think "Oops, how did I miss that one!" when I read it.

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    I didn't get that question either. Made me think "Oops, how did I miss that one!" when I read it.

haha, thats what i was thinking too when i read it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mayoboy55

Does anyone that applied in previous years know how long it is before they call people for interview? I tried emailing them but they weren't helpful at all!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Last year some people were interviewed as early as April and others as late as December. It's all rather hit and miss to be honest. And they will start later this year due to the later April closing date. Early to mid-May for first interviews would be optimistic to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

phoenix999 wrote: »
    Last year some people were interviewed as early as April and others as late as December. It's all rather hit and miss to be honest. And they will start later this year due to the later April closing date. Early to mid-May for first interviews would be
    optimistic to say the least.

I so know it's going to be when my exams are on :(

phoenix999 wrote: »
    What Department are you in Davydoc?

Child Benefit Office

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Barnet

Phew, Just finished it on the dot of 12!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mayoboy55

Does anyone know what the pay is like for this job. Not trying to be nosey, just wondering are we talking around the 400 quid a week mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 chatterbox93

Last year it was about 380 before PRSI and USC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Last year I received €357 after tax but this year it will be €343 due to the increase in PRSI

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shocked12

No way! I got that wrong then so too. Why would you send them off randomly?

Do you have any other answers?

shocked12 wrote: »
    No way! I got that wrong then so too. Why would you send them off randomly?

Do you have any other answers?

That's what I said, but apparently in the question it said that they were picked at random so it didn't matter where you sent them.

Nope I don't have any other answers that was the only one my OH got told when she was doing the questionnaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shocked12

That's what I said, but apparently in the question it said that they were picked at random so it didn't matter where you sent them.

Nope I don't have any other answers that was the only one my OH got told when she was doing the questionnaire.

Ah no. I just know I messed up because I was panicking that night as the site was so slow so I scanned then answered.

I have tried some of the sample tests on the site and found them really hard too tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cabbage crotch

To be fair just because someone said they had been given the answer in work it doesn't necessarily mean it's the right one - you don't know who within the CS gave them the answer to begin with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement