Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Clerical Positions in the Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

scoopmine wrote: »
    Thank you for your recent email in connection with the above campaign. I can appreciate your disappointment with your result. This campaign attracted an extremely large number of candidates with in excess of 10,076 candidates applying for a reasonable small number of vacancies.

In the online Skills & Experience your responses were mapped onto the specific skills, qualities and experience required in the Temporary Clerical Officer role. Based on the results of this Questionnaire, all candidates were rank ordered.

There is no doubt that many of the candidates that applied would be well suited and capable of undertaking the role of the Temporary Clerical Officer, but given the number who applied and the number of vacancies on offer, only a limited number of candidates can be invited to interview.

I regret that no formal individual feedback can be issued.

Thank you once again for your interest shown in the position

Jeepers over 10,000 people applied :-O

Wonder how many vacancies they are, I know they say small but how small is it in hundreds or over a thousand. Being hopeful with the thousand lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

I suppose there's no way of finding out the breakdown of how many applied for where?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭davydoc

Reserve for B, and it said there are no vacancies in my selected location, which isn't true, coz I know for a fact that there is!!

If your selected location is Buncrana, then, thats what everyone has got so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

List B today, Reserve Group in Bantry, and no vacancies there anyway, I definitely didn't want to end up working in Bantry but it was the only Cork place on the list, getting from where I live near Cork city to Bantry every day would've really been a nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Did this to see how good I do, Top Group for Dublin, Reserve for Mayo.

I thought it was not possible to apply for two counties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Got reserve for both places I applied for! :( That doesn't mean they won't call at a later date for a suitable vacancy that arise when available? I picked april-sept so be better than picking year round better chance of getting something for the summer if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Does anybody know how you receive word of an interview? Is it phonecall/email/letter? I'm currently abroad until the end of the month, so wondering if I should keep an eye on my Irish phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Butterface wrote: »
    Does anybody know how you receive word of an interview? Is it phonecall/email/letter? I'm currently abroad until the end of the month, so wondering if I should keep an eye on my Irish phone.

email apparently, so my message on publicjobs.ie says anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I wonder how soon (or not) interviews might happen? The availability I gave them was just for this summer. What kind of places do the vacancies arise other than Revenue (or is revenue separate to this?)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Reserve for Dublin myself, didn't put anywhere else down. Over 10,000 is a hell of a lot of people to go against.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 bluescorpion

I wonder how soon (or not) interviews might happen? The availability I gave them was just for this summer. What kind of places do the vacancies arise other than Revenue (or is revenue separate to this?)

Would be a few weeks away yet. You could be in any Government Department i.e. Revenue, Central Statistics Office, Social Welfare, Agriculture, Passport Office. Depends on what part of the country you are in really.

I'm really hoping I get revenue, I'm just finishing my accounting technician course so it would be a big plus on my cv

10,000 applications is a lot to go against alright. A lot of competition for so few positions unless they give contracts out for a few weeks and then issue those on reserve something after that for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Well the majority of these 10,000 will have applied for vacancies in Dublin.. is what I'm telling myself to feel better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

1. Were we asked to state our availablity? I can't remember.

I thought the whole campaign was about covering the summer holidays of permanent staff, thus meaning that all applicants were to make themselves from now til September.

Or was it possilbe to make yourself available for beyond that? I can't recall...

2. Also, anyone know what's the average length of contract? Or how long of a stretch do successful applicants get?

3. Is the €380 per week Gross or Net? If it's Gross, how much would the net pay be roughly?

4. I suppose it's hard to know, but do most people in the Top Group get work at some stage or just a few?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭maneno

1....yes you were asked to state availability
    2.....contracts cary,some are 8wks,10 wks,13 wks,6months etc,getting long contracts very hard as most are term time
    3.....380 is gross,depending on circumstances,net for a single person is around 340e,
    Goodluck!
    kraggy wrote: »

I thought the whole campaign was about covering the summer holidays of permanent staff, thus meaning that all applicants were to make themselves from now til September.

Or was it possilbe to make yourself available for beyond that? I can't recall...

2. Also, anyone know what's the average length of contract? Or how long of a stretch do successful applicants get?

3. Is the €380 per week Gross or Net? If it's Gross, how much would the net pay be roughly?

4. I suppose it's hard to know, but do most people in the Top Group get work at some stage or just a few?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

maneno wrote: »
    1....yes you were asked to state availability
    2.....contracts cary,some are 8wks,10 wks,13 wks,6months etc,getting long contracts very hard as most are term time
    3.....380 is gross,depending on circumstances,net for a single person is around 340e,
    Goodluck!

Thanks a million Maneno! Great info. Actually surprised by the Net figure. Thought it would be much lower than that with all the deductions/levies that have come in in the last few years.

Thanks again and good luck yourself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

kraggy wrote: »

I was on €357.46 after tax but this year it will be €343.46 due to PRSI increases

Are people who worked as TCOs prior to 2010 (i.e. non new entrants) still entitled to the old pay rate. Think it was around €415.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭maneno

Are people who worked as TCOs prior to 2010 (i.e. non new entrants) still entitled to the old pay rate. Think it was around €415.

Yes,and it was 421e

• Advertisement

Its a lot of applicants all the same for one location and the very location I chose other than my local area.

Ya there was an option for either all year round or april to september as to availability.

The length of contracts could be anything between 2 months to 6 months. Many either 8, 10 or 13 weeks usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

my daughter applied and got on the reserve panel for dublin, is that good ? what does it actually mean ?

dubdub123 wrote: »
    my daughter applied and got on the reserve panel for dublin, is that good ? what does it actually mean ?

Its been discussed alot in previous pages. There is two groups top grade and reserves. Top grade should get a interview and hopefully job offer as the jobs come up, after top grade done they offer interviews to reserves.

Just so she no's a lot of people here where reserves and got a job so its not over yet

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭sam27

I know of one Department who takes back the same people year after year.

I ma waiting to see if this is the case again this year and if so, I will be contacting my local Td and making a complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

sam27 wrote: »
    I know of one Department who takes back the same people year after year.

I ma waiting to see if this is the case again this year and if so, I will be contacting my local Td and making a complaint.

according to my aunt who is a civil servant, the department/agency that are giving out jobs are allowed to request to give jobs to people people who worked with them in previous years (as long as theyre in the top group)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭luckyboy

haro124 wrote: »
    according to my aunt who is a civil servant, the department/agency that are giving out jobs are allowed to request to give jobs to people people who worked with them in previous years (as long as theyre in the top group)

That would make sense, particularly for an area like Revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    I thought it was not possible to apply for two counties?

It was on the form. You selected two preferences. Strange that I got lower in Mayo.

One thing with these tests is that there are right and wrong answers corresponding roughly to the nature of the role. Answering that I like rules, teams, I work the hours given and no more etc., seem good answers. The civil service is conservative and works to certain rules and standards designed to ensure a decent work output without staff turnover. A good idea is to find someone who consistently does well in these tests. Pick his brain, so can give the right answers come the test. Failing that, there's lots of books on work personality tests. I found it relatively easy to get a good rank in civil service tests, once I took the time to practice religious on doing the tests. Honestly the CO exam was harder, matching symbols to the term they refer to, at warp speed.

A short contract for a sedentary office hours job will be aok for me, as I've some time spare while recovering from injury.

Now one worry is how the panel will respond if I walk in with a stick or crutch. I will still probably need one come any interview. I didn't opt for any special facilities for the interview, as I've only a sort of limp, which I'm hope will vanish in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

hey thanks for the info - would be great if something showed up for her on the reserve panel even later in the summer. thanks : )

Got interview for next tuesday in dublin

• Advertisement

bulmersgal wrote: »
    Got interview for next tuesday in dublin

That was fast. Best of luck with it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement