Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Clerical Positions in the Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

That was fast. Best of luck with it!
    Thanks my first exam starts Monday, luckily I'm free on Tuesday. Now I've to try prep for that and study :-/ hopefully i get a position out of it

My email

Dear xxxxx

You will have already received an email informing you of the result of your ranking from the online Skills & Experience Questionnaire. I am pleased to inform you that you are now among those being invited to interview.

Details of your interview are as follows.

Date: - Tuesday 14th May 2013

I regret that it is not possible to change interview times for candidates.

Important:

You will need to bring along the following with you on the day

Ø 2 copies of your completed “Application Form” (see links below)

Ø 1 completed “Health and Character Declaration Form” (see links below)

Ø 1 Recent Work Reference. (Original and Photocopy) Is this a written reference, I only have phone numbers. Should I ring my last work experience and ask them to write one. They would be very busy though.

Ø Proof of European Economic Area ( EEA) citizenship e.g. Passport (Original and Photocopy)

Ø 1 Passport sized photograph

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 bluescorpion

bulmersgal wrote: »
    My email

Dear xxxxx

You will have already received an email informing you of the result of your ranking from the online Skills & Experience Questionnaire. I am pleased to inform you that you are now among those being invited to interview.

Details of your interview are as follows.

Date: - Tuesday 14th May 2013

I regret that it is not possible to change interview times for candidates.

Important:

You will need to bring along the following with you on the day

Ø 2 copies of your completed “Application Form” (see links below)

Ø 1 completed “Health and Character Declaration Form” (see links below)

Ø 1 Recent Work Reference. (Original and Photocopy) Is this a written reference, I only have phone numbers. Should I ring my last work experience and ask them to write one. They would be very busy though.

Ø Proof of European Economic Area ( EEA) citizenship e.g. Passport (Original and Photocopy)

Ø 1 Passport sized photograph

Yes, it seems like they want a written reference. You could ring employer, apologise for the short notice and see what they say. If they can't write one in time I might ring Public Jobs and ask them if the phone number of the employer would suffice. Only so much you can do when you have so little notice. You must have ranked very highly in your group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭ciaramc

Got interview for next tuesday in dublin

What Area did you apply for? Was it for Dublin? Thanks

Yes, it seems like they want a written reference. You could ring employer, apologise for the short notice and see what they say. If they can't write one in time I might ring Public Jobs and ask them if the phone number of the employer would suffice. Only so much you can do when you have so little notice. You must have ranked very highly in yoru group.

Yeah i better ring them, no point losing a job over it. Ah i think maybe because i applied the first day it might affect my rating. Hopefully get a job out of it, only up €30 a week after i pay childcare but its the experience and its easier to get a job when you have one

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 bluescorpion

Yeah i better ring them, no point losing a job over it. Ah i think maybe because i applied the first day it might affect my rating. Hopefully get a job out of it, only up €30 a week after i pay childcare but its the experience and its easier to get a job when you have one

Indeed, that positive attitude will take you far ; ) Hope you get the department you want. Might be no harm to drop a few hints. Tell us how it all goes.

ciaramc wrote: »
    What Area did you apply for? Was it for Dublin? Thanks

Yes it was for Dublin. I applied only for a summer contract though.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenn Coco

I've an interview for next Wednesday in Dublin, applied for Westmeath. Same email as you Bulmersgal!

Glenn Coco wrote: »
    I've an interview for next Wednesday in Dublin, applied for Westmeath. Same email as you Bulmersgal!

congrats lets hope we both get jobs. Did you print out the forms yet? they want all your addresses :-O I had to look up old cv's as I moved around a bit in 2009 and couldn't remember numbers or proper addresses. Also lost my passport well misplaced it.

God i'm already sounding like I work there lol

congrats lets hope we both get jobs. Did you print out the forms yet? they want all your addresses :-O I had to look up old cv's as I moved around a bit in 2009 and couldn't remember numbers or proper addresses. Also lost my passport well misplaced it.

God i'm already sounding like I work there lol

Didn't even look at them yet! For some reason I can open links on my iPad, not in the mood to take out the laptop, just happy I got called for the mo, will start worrying about the paperwork around Monday, :)

• Advertisement

Didn't even look at them yet! For some reason I can open links on my iPad, not in the mood to take out the laptop, just happy I got called for the mo, will start worrying about the paperwork around Monday, :)

They are not links I had to go to website. I'm on laptop and they forgot to set the links. I've to do it now as exams next week. Now to see have i any clothes for interview

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Owenzy31

Only found this thread - I've been called for an interview on Wednesday in Dublin too. I applied for Louth & I got the same email as yourselves & but where did it say they wanted all our addresses ?? Links wouldn't open from my email either & I rang my employer today for a reference & was told it wasn't their policy to give references !!!! They said they could call them :( but don't know if they'll accept that :( Disaster !!!

Owenzy31 wrote: »
    Only found this thread - I've been called for an interview on Wednesday in Dublin too. I applied for Louth & I got the same email as yourselves & but where did it say they wanted all our addresses ?? Links wouldn't open from my email either & I rang my employer today for a reference & was told it wasn't their policy to give references !!!! They said they could call them :( but don't know if they'll accept that :( Disaster !!!

There not links, further down it tells you to go onto website and click about us and publications. On the forms it says education and work and in them it says place, date, where you lives.

I think they testing us again!

I rang my place where I done work experience but manager off and might be in 2mo but maybe not until Monday so that will be stressful. I don't no if they will accept phone references, it seems like they want us to do all the work. Like the passport we have to photocopy it and bring original.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Owenzy31

Oh fair play found it - cheers :D
    I know what can I do about the reference - I've contacted my previous employer but that was 8yrs ago - see if they can post me out a reference before then. I'll contact my boss on Monday - he's on holidays this week see if he can do anything.

Yeah it does seem like they're really not making it easy alright - oh fingers crossed it will be worth it - really glad to have got an interview - been looking for that long !!!
    Bit of luck you'll get your reference too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ciaran10

I applied this year and got the reserve panel. However last year I got in the top grade and worked in the Social welfare from May right up Until January.As stated above you would be looking at in around 340 take home pay.

The interview itself was the easiest I have ever done. You basically fill out a few sheets before the interview and then you are called into a room where it is basically just a chat to go over the dates you have given and when you available to start ( and also about holidays) .

Anyway best of luck with it everyone. I thoroughly enjoyed working in the Social welfare as it is very challenging and will provide you with great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

Ciaran10 wrote: »
    I applied this year and got the reserve panel. However last year I got in the top grade and worked in the Social welfare from May right up Until January.As stated above you would be looking at in around 340 take home pay.

The interview itself was the easiest I have ever done. You basically fill out a few sheets before the interview and then you are called into a room where it is basically just a chat to go over the dates you have given and when you available to start ( and also about holidays) .

Anyway best of luck with it everyone. I thoroughly enjoyed working in the Social welfare as it is very challenging and will provide you with great experience.

How do you mean 'dates you have given'? Is it availability dates, or work/educational history dates? I don't mean to come across as pedantic, but I just had the most awkward interview I've ever had, (not for this recruitment drive, a private sector 'opportunity') where I was grilled about why I left a college course 17 years ago, regardless of the fact that I went back immediately afterwards and studied up to MA level. I am getting progressively worried about being completely honest on any job application!

Thanks for the about the interview. I was reading through the thread last night and it seems that every1 who went for a interview was successful or maybe the people who were not just didnt say it.

I've so much going on next week with exams so I dont have time to be worried or stressed about interview so its nice to see its just a general chat. I thought as much as we dont no what departments we'll be assigned to if we get through so cant tailor our answers to suit that dept or research stuff about it.

Thanks for the about the interview. I was reading through the thread last night and it seems that every1 who went for a interview was successful or maybe the people who were not just didnt say it.

I've so much going on next week with exams so I dont have time to be worried or stressed about interview so its nice to see its just a general chat. I thought as much as we dont no what departments we'll be assigned to if we get through so cant tailor our answers to suit that dept or research stuff about it.

Got my reference sorted this morning. Thanks for the info about the interview too, it's put my mind at ease too. I tend to get very stressed before interviews. Can't believe I've to go to Dublin for a 10 minute chat though! Ah well, I'm unemployed at the moment so I'll take anything I'm given. Would love a longer term contract though...

Got my reference sorted this morning. Thanks for the info about the interview too, it's put my mind at ease too. I tend to get very stressed before interviews. Can't believe I've to go to Dublin for a 10 minute chat though! Ah well, I'm unemployed at the moment so I'll take anything I'm given. Would love a longer term contract though...

I no its a bit of a pain trekking in for 10 minutes would be lovely if we got long contract but horrible if we don't. Still haven't got reference sorted will ring on Monday as he's not due into office today. Got another interview for Wednesday but thats for maternity cover but its what I actually studied in so hoping for that one more. Going to be stressful week, exam monday and thursday and interviews tuesday and wednesday. I do nothing every other week lol

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ciaran10

When I was called last year I applied for a position in Louth but was called to store street in Dublin for the interview. I would assume If you are called to store street which has the head offices of the department of social protection then you will be working for the social welfare in your area.

As regards the dates I was talking about they will just generally ask you about the dates you said you are available to work on your application. You should recieve an email the next day after the interview telling you that you were successful and when a vacancy arises you will be contacted. Luckily for me I was contacted and started the job within a week.

Regards the length of contract I was offered 13 weeks maternity which was then extended by another 12 due to the woman taken more leave. There is also summer leave for staff which also creates more openings.

Best of luck to everyone. If you need any more Info don't hesitate to ask.

• Advertisement

When I was called last year I applied for a position in Louth but was called to store street in Dublin for the interview. I would assume If you are called to store street which has the head offices of the department of social protection then you will be working for the social welfare in your area.

As regards the dates I was talking about they will just generally ask you about the dates you said you are available to work on your application. You should recieve an email the next day after the interview telling you that you were successful and when a vacancy arises you will be contacted. Luckily for me I was contacted and started the job within a week.

Regards the length of contract I was offered 13 weeks maternity which was then extended by another 12 due to the woman taken more leave. There is also summer leave for staff which also creates more openings.

Best of luck to everyone. If you need any more Info don't hesitate to ask.

My interview in the public appointment service house in abbey street.
    Wonder does that mean its not going to be in social welfare or maybe its where all interviews are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

I got in the top group for Sligo. I'll hardly have to go to Dublin for an interview?

Wonder does that mean its not going to be in social welfare or maybe its where all interviews are?

My interview is in Abbey Street too.

Henlars67, I applied for Westmeath and my interview's in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

My interview is in Abbey Street too.

Henlars67, I applied for Westmeath and my interview's in Dublin.

Well if I get one and it falls on the same day as one of my exams then I'm screwed.

Bit ridiculous that somebody has to travel to Dublin for an interview for a temporary position.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Tiernanism93

Hi guys, well done to Glenn Coco and bulmersgal on getting your interviews , I got Top Group for Sligo last year and the 13 week contract, and this year I got Top Group for Sligo, but as of yet , I have no word of an Interview . For people worried about travelling to Dublin , last year Sligo interviews were in Sligo Town.

I agree with Henlars67, twud be rediculous if we would have to travel to Dublin for a temp job in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

I had my interview in Abbey Street 2011, I got a contract in a social welfare building but I wasnt placed in a Local Office I worked in the Pensions sections which was great.
    I Got a second contract which Im currently in and its in Social Welfare Local Office, the interview wasnt in Dublin for this so I think you can end up anywhere really, just depends where the shortfall of staff is at the time :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Paul Dar

I got the top group for Longford. No word yet on interview. Should I be worried yet???

Paul Dar wrote: »
    I got the top group for Longford. No word yet on interview. Should I be worried yet???

Nobody else only me and glenn coco have heard, so I wouldn't worry yet. I was reading the whole thread last night and people got called all different times of the year. I only put down available for summer so reckon this why i'm so early getting interview

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Paul Dar

Cheers Bulmersgal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 hazco01

Hi guys and gals

Have just come across your post about CO's.

Well done to all who have interview, I also have one!!

I have two problems, I can't find my passport and I can't get a written reference I have typed one and was emailed to me as it is short notice for interview!!

Any comments would be appreciated

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement