Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Clerical Positions in the Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Will do loupad, hopefully won't be too long to wait - fingers crossed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Rang the public appointments service just to see if there's any chance that ill get even an interview, was told there weren't many positions being offered in Meath this year :( .....

• Registered Users Posts: 32 briarrose

I emailed them, just to make sure I actually was on the panel (paranoid me :P) and to ask about ranking/criteria for ranking. Two line reply, with no mention of ranking or criteria, but saying that they are still waiting for positions to come in for Westmeath.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenn Coco

briarrose wrote: »
    I emailed them, just to make sure I actually was on the panel (paranoid me :P) and to ask about ranking/criteria for ranking. Two line reply, with no mention of ranking or criteria, but saying that they are still waiting for positions to come in for Westmeath.:confused:

Yet there's me and 4 other TCOs in DSP in Athlone!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I picked all year round last year put on reserve but took a year after applying before offered anything. I picked the april to sept option put on reserve heard nothing so far so not looking hopeful. May have to choose somewhere else next year as have the means to travel and move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 briarrose

Got a phone call well after 6 this evening from a Dublin number, and I was offered an 8 week contract at the Department of Education in Athlone :cool: Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Owenzy31

Got a call Tuesday - Dublin number too - was offered 3 month contract with the Dept of Social Protection Dundalk - starting Monday :D Happy Days !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenn Coco

Got a phone call well after 6 this evening from a Dublin number, and I was offered an 8 week contract at the Department of Education in Athlone :cool: Yay!

Well done! I hear there's loads of overtime there at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cirrus55

Spoke with my sister today. She had an interview with Social Protection in the Marina in Cork at the end of May after coming in the Top Group. She gave references, Garda vetting form etc. Was told that she had passed the interview and would hear in a few weeks. Then yesterday she gets a call from Cork County Council asking her for all the same infromation again (references etc.) But they actually offered her an 8 month contract? Is it a free for all or what? I had mine with DSP in Dublin and havnt heard anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭loupad

Hi well done. My brother in law got in there any amount of overtime he was working till half nine tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Tiernanism93

Got my contract today for Sligo, starting Monday :D 11 weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Got my contract today for Sligo, starting Monday :D 11 weeks!!

Nice :D Congrats!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ree40

That's great news, I am still waiting to hear from Sligo. I had my interview on 21st and got email on 28th....its almost worse than waiting for a due date:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Ree40 wrote: »
    That's great news, I am still waiting to hear from Sligo. I had my interview on 21st and got email on 28th....its almost worse than waiting for a due date:-)

I got top group for Sligo and didn't even get an interview.

I've given up on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Tiernanism93

Thanks guys , as far as I know , I just got the job barely , I was there last year working too!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

Hi there - My daughter just got word of an interview in Dublin!!
    Has anyone some info on what format the interview takes? What type of questions may she get asked? Would really appreciate the input. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Dr. Sh1te

For anyone that has worked as a TCO, would it be of any benefit to their CV?
    From having worked for the department does it open new doors for companies to employ them such as google, apple PayPal etc. ?

Or do most TCO's find themselves back on the dole when their contract is up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Breadcrusts

Got called to interview on Tuesday in Dublin. Rather bad timing now though as my boss (working part-time) is away in the US for a month and have rigid hours until late July.
    If I explain this to them in interview will this put me in a less favorable position? I don't want to get offered something I can't accept right this moment and then have that impact on my chances of getting something in August or thereafter :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

Anyone know what departments they are holding interviews for next tuesday in dublin? Any pointers on what they may ask in an interview? Would appreciate any input. Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Flowerpoppy

cirrus55 wrote: »
    Spoke with my sister today. She had an interview with Social Protection in the Marina in Cork at the end of May after coming in the Top Group. She gave references, Garda vetting form etc. Was told that she had passed the interview and would hear in a few weeks. Then yesterday she gets a call from Cork County Council asking her for all the same infromation again (references etc.) But they actually offered her an 8 month contract? Is it a free for all or what? I had mine with DSP in Dublin and havnt heard anything.

8months!!! Wow lucky her! I too went for the interview in social protection! Last week I received an email from cork county council saying I would be offered a formal contract and I had to submit my cv to them! I have a medical on Thursday and I must submit my birth certificate and educational certs. Did she have to do the same??? I hope I get offered an 8 month contract too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 cirrus55

8months!!! Wow lucky her! I too went for the interview in social protection! Last week I received an email from cork county council saying I would be offered a formal contract and I had to submit my cv to them! I have a medical on Thursday and I must submit my birth certificate and educational certs. Did she have to do the same??? I hope I get offered an 8 month contract too :)

Flowerpoppy, interesting that the same thing happened to you. A medical exam is usually only done if the contract is 6 months or longer. So I would be pretty confident that you would get something along that lines. The only reason my sister knew it was 8 months is because she queried why she had to give all the same information again and if it was going to be worth the effort. She too was asked for references, birth cert, even her education certs (which neither of us had to produce for previous TCO contracts). She has her medical on Wednesday with EHA clinic in Blackrock. Best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 picpress

Just wondering will this Bill going through the Dail /Seanad at the moment cut down on the number of places available for temporary clerical officers in future. The plan is to make redeployment of full time staff more flexible so workers can be sent to where the need is greatest across all departments.

Follow the debate here
    http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/seanad2013061200029?opendocument#DD00100

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

picpress wrote: »
    Just wondering will this Bill going through the Dail /Seanad at the moment cut down on the number of places available for temporary clerical officers in future. The plan is to make redeployment of full time staff more flexible so workers can be sent to where the need is greatest across all departments.

Follow the debate here
    http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/seanad2013061200029?opendocument#DD00100

That won't affect it. TCOs tend to cover temporary or seasonal work. That bill is about covering fulltime positions where fulltime vacancies arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Slydice wrote: »
    That won't affect it. TCOs tend to cover temporary or seasonal work. That bill is about covering fulltime positions where fulltime vacancies arise.

Would this mean a change in the moratorium? or does this just apply to fully established civil servants?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 picpress

Slydice wrote: »

I would have to disagree the bill will make it make it easier to fill gaps in the service by allowing management to have a much more mobile workforce across the public service. While there will always be seasonal requirements such as the passport office etc this bill will defiantly cut down on the requirement to source temporary workers to save costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Onanon

For anyone still to interview:

The interview yesterday was very informal. It was about ten minutes long. They checked you weren't lying on your application, and were capable of the basic clerical work they wanted you to do.

There are jobs in Revenue for 6 weeks this summer. Revenue is very busy at the moment.

They emailed me today to tell me I passed interview, and would be contacted if a job came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 waspsting

To those offered jobs after interview were you phone called or was this via email ?

I just missed a call tried to return it but the number says its out of service...

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ree40

waspsting wrote: »
    To those offered jobs after interview were you phone called or was this via email ?

I just missed a call tried to return it but the number says its out of service...

I was wondering the same thing. Missed a call on the landline from a witheld no. But no contact on the mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I was wondering the same thing. Missed a call on the landline from a witheld no. But no contact on the mobile.

This happened to me also, was sent out a letter offering me a position and contract by post. Important starting on Monday :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

This happened to me also, was sent out a letter offering me a position and contract by post. I'm starting on Monday :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement