Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Clerical Positions in the Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hennesm

rostalof wrote: »
    Same as that. I have 4 days booked away during the first week of the contract and I'm waiting to hear if I got onto an ICT Skills HDip in Computing course for September. They ask you to let them know if you're available for the December intake instead which is what I'll probably do.

Yeah , they asked me about the December one too. Might take that option as I will have a better idea on internship thing then. It's great to get the offer, just wish it had been a few weeks earlier!
    Good luck with the HDip

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭sam27

Hennesm wrote: »
    It's €50 extra a week and local..and actually quite enjoyable. Not sure if there will be a job at the end as its essentially covering maternity leave , but there might be a few months in it the girl decides to extend her mat leave?
    Really can't decide..if t was was 12 weeks or more I wouldn't think twice about it..:-(

I did not think that a company could offer an internship to someone where they covering maternity leave?

Anyway getting your foot in the door and proving yourself to the prospective employer is what matters. Myself I would stick with internship.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hennesm

I'm not sure about the whole maternity thing either, certainly was advertised as that..but that's what it is. The girl mentoring me finishes in a few weeks and my internship ends at the end of her maternity leave. That being said I am really enjoying the job and I'm always one for the power of positive thought !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Hennesm wrote: »
    It's €50 extra a week and local..and actually quite enjoyable. Not sure if there will be a job at the end as its essentially covering maternity leave , but there might be a few months in it the girl decides to extend her mat leave?
    Really can't decide..if t was was 12 weeks or more I wouldn't think twice about it..:-(

I'd take paid employment which means a steady number of A contributions, Jobsbridge means an employer doesn't have to pay someone a wage, instead using someone on the dole, and a person won't be covered for travel costs (without considering accommodation etc). Now the Jobsbridge is nearby, but 50 Euro is a pittance. It had better be very enjoyable.

This summer work pays c. 370 after tax a week, and often there's a chance of a few extra weeks, depending on the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Magf

Hi, I have been invited for an interview next week. A bit nervous as I haven't been for such an interview in quite a while. Any advice as to what to expect would be extremely welcome. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Tiernanism93

Magf wrote: »
    Hi, I have been invited for an interview next week. A bit nervous as I haven't been for such an interview in quite a while. Any advice as to what to expect would be extremely welcome. Thanks

Hi best of luck with the interview ..I've been at the interviews for the last two summers and got placement each time...
    Dress smartly .. be calm .. know your Microsoft office stuff(so you can tell the truth when they ask how is ur office skill)
    More of a chat than an interview

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Hi, just found out that I've been offered an interview for tomorrow!!! I was sick all last week and never checked my emails and I'm in a state of panic now!! I have my CV up to date, suit was cleaned recently (thank god!) and I've downloaded the required forms to print out.

My problem is that I don't have a written reference available at the moment, can anyone tell me if this is essential? If I don't have one, should I bother going to the interview?

The one week I don't check my emails and this happens!! :(

Hi,

Is it possible to get your last employer to email you a reference?. I would certainly go for the interview regardless of whether you have the reference with you as you may not be offered another one if you don't show up. I have also been advised from a reliable source that if you get to interview stage you are more than likely to be offered a position.
    Best if luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Hi, just found out that I've been offered an interview for tomorrow!!! I was sick all last week and never checked my emails and I'm in a state of panic now!! I have my CV up to date, suit was cleaned recently (thank god!) and I've downloaded the required forms to print out.

My problem is that I don't have a written reference available at the moment, can anyone tell me if this is essential? If I don't have one, should I bother going to the interview?

The one week I don't check my emails and this happens!! :(

Not essential. If asked just say you didn't have it to hand but you can get it if required.

Should you bother going to the interview? Um, yes of course!

panama wrote: »
    Not essential. If asked just say you didn't have it to hand but you can get it if required.

Should you bother going to the interview? Um, yes of course!

Many thanks for the reply!! I was asking if I should bother going in without the reference, as in if it was essential to have one with me. I'm definitely going in to give it my best shot!! :D

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Magf wrote: »
    Hi,

Is it possible to get your last employer to email you a reference?. I would certainly go for the interview regardless of whether you have the reference with you as you may not be offered another one if you don't show up. I have also been advised from a reliable source that if you get to interview stage you are more than likely to be offered a position.
    Best if luck!

Hi thanks for the information. I may be able to get a reference from somewhere I did voluntary work for, fingers crossed at this point.
    If I get that reference then it's better than none at all. I'll go in suited and booted and give it my best!
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bangors85

Hi all has anyone been called on the reserve panel at all lately especially in cor and the surrounding areas??

Received an email today advising I had qualified satisfactorily at interview and they would be in touch if my name comes up for a position. Anyone else get to this stage and how long was it before they were offered a position?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

I finished my 10 week contract on the 9th August. will there be anymore positions coming up in the Autumn ?

lotusm wrote: »
    I finished my 10 week contract on the 9th August. will there be anymore positions coming up in the Autumn ?

I dont know. I only had interview this week, and I was asked if I would be available all year round, so I presume there must be.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Phantasos

lotusm wrote: »

Once you get a placement once, you are taken off the panel.

I got work last summer and after I finished, when I rang them asking about possible vacancies, I was told that I was off the panel once you get work once, and people still on the panel take the new vacancies.

You can re-apply next year again, but if the situation is still the same, you won't be getting any calls for this year again. It sucks I know, but that way everyone on the panel gets a chance to get work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I am on reserve for an area in kerry and dublin but not hopeful. Coming to end of august the other contracts likely to finish up soon unless they extend them for those on top panel. Could take another 6 months before reserve panel get interviews but good to hear ye getting them for those on reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Well, term time is finished and so is my contract. Today was my last day with the RSA. T'was a nice job while it lasted. It'a a shame we can't be kept on the panel for other jobs down the line. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Phantasos wrote: »
    Once you get a placement once, you are taken off the panel.

I got work last summer and after I finished, when I rang them asking about possible vacancies, I was told that I was off the panel once you get work once, and people still on the panel take the new vacancies.

You can re-apply next year again, but if the situation is still the same, you won't be getting any calls for this year again. It sucks I know, but that way everyone on the panel gets a chance to get work.

I think that sounds a bit silly and wasteful. They employ you once, train you etc then let you go and on to the next bunch of people. All in the interests of some kind of "fairness". Think in the private sector it would be the best people for the job and hold onto them.
    What do people do after this? Back to the dole or do many get other jobs in the PS or in offices?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Phantasos

road_high wrote: »
    What do people do after this? Back to the dole or do many get other jobs in the PS or in offices?

In my case, back on the dole. Still looking for work. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Phantasos wrote: »
    In my case, back on the dole. Still looking for work. :(

Well best of luck. I just don't see the logic in this myself. Hopefully the experience will help you but seems silly they are likely going to recruit a whole batch of new people and do the same again just to "give everyone a chance". Assume it may help when a more permanent panel arises though.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenn Coco

Hi guys, finished my 12 weeks a few weeks ago. Didn't take any holidays so I should be entitled to holiday pay. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same position? Did you get paid and how long did it take? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

You should get it next week with your P45. No harm in ringing the finance dept where you worked and make sure they have sent it to be paid. You should also get any pension contributions back.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

I got my P45 yesterday Glenn Coco so presume I'll be paid tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenn Coco

Got my P45 this morning, I had rang the finance dept yesterday so thought that was why! They said the money should be in tomorrow, if not, then next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Flunch

I applied months ago and was placed on the reserve list. I just got an email inviting me for interview next Thursday. I have already taken another job so had to turn it down. But looks like there is hope yet for anyone on reserve :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Where did you apply for flunch? Still hope yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Received my email about an interview yesterday having applied before summer sometime. Also had to turn it down. I applied for Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Checking my spam frantically now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Flunch wrote: »
    I applied months ago and was placed on the reserve list. I just got an email inviting me for interview next Thursday. I have already taken another job so had to turn it down. But looks like there is hope yet for anyone on reserve :-)

Same here.

There will be a chance for someone else in the Cork area based on my unavailability.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement