Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Clerical Positions in the Public Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Glenn Coco wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anyone who was TCO last year (like me), knows if we are entitled to a refund on pension contributions? I can vaguely remember a conversation while working there, where it was said that we would be refunded in January. Not sure if it's true, but if it is, is it automatically refunded, or do you need to apply for it. Thanks in advance!
    Our office gave us all forms to fill in that were sent to HR. I finished that job in September 2012 and still havent seen that money !:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 shanzam

There are openings in PeoplePoint who are doing the HR for the civil service... Start date is the 20th but I've no idea how long the contracts are for, probably 6 months... Don't be surprised if you get a call next Friday asking you to start on the Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

shanzam wrote: »
    There are openings in PeoplePoint who are doing the HR for the civil service... Start date is the 20th but I've no idea how long the contracts are for, probably 6 months... Don't be surprised if you get a call next Friday asking you to start on the Monday
    Would have the website or contact details for the positions by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 07472161

Are the jobs for people point just for current civil service staff and if not how can one apply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

07472161 wrote: »
    Are the jobs for people point just for current civil service staff and if not how can one apply?

I'd imagine people already on the 2013 TCO panel could be assigned there.

• Advertisement

They're trying to get civil servants into the place but few have moved over... You have to apply through the TCO competition, as for positions it all decides on where they put you on the day as every section will be getting staff. You can only access the website through the internal network but if you go on publicjobs.ie PeoplePoint is one of the featured jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

I'd imagine people already on the 2013 TCO panel could be assigned there.

I think the date has passed for those wanting to apply to peoplepoint. (below is taken from recruitment document)

[*]What is the closing date for applications?

Applications for a position in PeoplePoint should be made byfilling out the relevant online application form available on www.publicjobs.ie. Applications should besubmitted before 12 midnight on Thursday 27th September 2013.

I just got my email saying I was successful at interview. Just have to wait and see what department I get assigned to now. Hopefully it'll be a nice long contract.

JohnMearsheimer well done! Are you working in the civil service or did you just apply?

07472161 wrote: »
      JohnMearsheimer well done! Are you working in the civil service or did you just apply?

I'm not in the civil service but I have been a TCO 3 times before in the Courts Service in Cork and Dublin. I was on 2 panels for the civil service before but they didn't get to me in time before they brought in the embargo in 2008. I just applied for TCO 2013 back in March and only made the reserve panel for Dublin and then forgot about it. I got an email out of the blue on December 23 asking me was I still interested in a TCO position and could I come for an interview.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that information! Ya I'm on the Galway reserve panel so hopefully something will come up in the next few months!

I just got my email saying I was successful at interview. Just have to wait and see what department I get assigned to now. Hopefully it'll be a nice long contract.

Congrats, if you live in and around Dublin don't be surprised if you get a call next week inviting you to PeoplePoint

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Owenzy31

What is PeoplePoint ? Is it just for Dublin ?

Owenzy31 wrote: »
      What is PeoplePoint ? Is it just for Dublin ?

It's the new shared services HR function for the civil service... Their based in Clonskeagh at the back of UCD

shanzam wrote: »
      Congrats, if you live in and around Dublin don't be surprised if you get a call next week inviting you to PeoplePoint

If they do I hope it's early next week. I'm living in Cork at the moment so I'd need a bit of notice to find a place to live up in Dublin or I'll be in a hotel or something for a few nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Broadcastman

Just wondering has anyone heard anything yet ? Wondering when we might get a call ?

Just wondering has anyone heard anything yet ? Wondering when we might get a call ?

I haven't heard anything yet either. During my interview they said you might hear the end of January or the start of February for a start date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭adam88

I did this job for ten weeks in 08. Brilliant experience and may lead to something longer term. Apply apply apply

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭archie199

I got a call for an interview for a 6-9 month contract in the Revenue office in Limerick on the 3rd of February. I was on the reserve panel and forgot all about it! Just finished up a job before Christmas so this would be ideal as I'm living in Limerick.

Anybody get an interview recently for any temporary contracts?

Cowlips wrote: »
      Hello,

I applied last March and got message that I was in Top group for Kerry. Heard nothing until....today! Waiting on call now about interview details but it will be on Thursday and I would be starting next week if successful. I'm completely thrown. She said that it would be for 8 weeks but could be longer as its covering a sick leave in Killarney.

I'm receiving JSB until mid April. I have 3 small kids, 1 school going and I don't know if it would be worth my while or would I be stupid to turn down the opportunity? Childcare would be an issue for me and especially at short notice and not having finances for pay childminder!

I have a few questions and would be very grateful for any answers?

1. What is salary like?
      2. Hours? Is there flexibilty?
      3. Do you need a CV for interview? (I don't have one!)
      4. Are you finished when contract ends or is there an opportunity for more work in the future?

Cowlips

Well done, best of luck! It's hard to know if you'll be kept on after 8 weeks, will all depend on that sick leave situation. You could possibly get another 6 weeks out of it!

Take the opportunity, it's a lot better than JSB and like you said you might be kept on after 8 weeks. It can be difficult with the whole issue of finances with child care. Ultimately, it's your decision!

The salary is 380 a week but probably less after tax, pension deductions, etc
      More than likely you'll be working a 35 hour week, they will let you know.
      You won't need a specific CV. I have to bring an application form which contains education, experience, skills, etc.
      They will e mail you this form and you'll be required to bring a copy of this along with a health and character form, passport photo, copy of passport photo and one recent work reference along with a copy.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Tiernanism93

Anyone heard anything about term time applications that usually come about February?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cowlips

Thanks for the info archie199.

I received the email this evening. Have to have it returned before cob tomorrow. It's all very short notice.

Cowlips

Carraway wrote: »
      I'm currently working as a TCO in the Department of Social Protection, in the interview it was mentioned because I previously worked in the civil service while in my co-op in college that I might qualify for a different rate of pay as it was pre 2011. I've sent off an email to HR but haven't heard anything back yet, would anybody know if having been a co-op student rather than a clerical officer would disqualify me from the old rate of pay?

I'm just wondering if anyone knows more about this? I first worked in the civil service in 2006.

Also, does anyone know if you can apply for incremental credit as a TCO? I have 337 days service and was wondering if I could go on to the second point of the scale after my 365th day? I was offered a 6 month contract in the passport office in Cork today. I was offered TCO in Dublin as well but Cork suits me better.

The passport offices seemed to be running their own competition outside the Public Appointments Service one. I didn't even get short listed for an interview in the Dublin passport office but got a job in the Cork passport office. Happy out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Phantasos

Yep, you're entitled to the increment. As soon as you hit the year mark, make the call and get your increment implemented.
      I'm just wondering if anyone knows more about this? I first worked in the civil service in 2006.

Also, does anyone know if you can apply for incremental credit as a TCO? I have 337 days service and was wondering if I could go on to the second point of the scale after my 365th day? I was offered a 6 month contract in the passport office in Cork today. I was offered TCO in Dublin as well but Cork suits me better.

The passport offices seemed to be running their own competition outside the Public Appointments Service one. I didn't even get short listed for an interview in the Dublin passport office but got a job in the Cork passport office. Happy out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

What time of year do these jobs typically come online.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

What time of year do these jobs typically come online.

Feb/march

Phantasos wrote: »
      Yep, you're entitled to the increment. As soon as you hit the year mark, make the call and get your increment implemented.

Thanks Phantasos, I'll hopefully break the 1 year mark after my first month in the passport office. I'll ask my last department to send Foreign Affairs HR a letter with my employment dates.

Any idea if you qualify for a different rate if pay if you worked on the civil service before 2011? I first went in in 2006.

Anybody hear anything back from recent interviews in Limerick??

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

archie199 wrote: »
      Anybody hear anything back from recent interviews in Limerick??

Got an email today saying I was successful at interview and they would contact me if I was considered. How about yourself, did you hear anything?

• Advertisement

kojack wrote: »
      Got an email today saying I was successful at interview and they would contact me if I was considered. How about yourself, did you hear anything?

Thanks for your reply. I got the same e-mail! I wasn't sure if they'd sent that e mail as those jobs are starting in three weeks. I was told in the interview I'd hear this week one way or another...
      The interview went well anyway so I'm optimistic! How was yours?

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement