Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New alsatian pup

• 15-02-2012 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

Good afternoon everyone, my brother bought an alsatian pup last weekend. He's 4 months old and a fine strong pup but we're having a couple of problems with him.

The first is that he keeps jumping up on everyone. I don't really mind him doing this but this morning <snip> he got destroyed in mud, we arrived back to the house just as my mother was leaving for work, as usual he jumped up on her and dirtied her pants. She had a fit and told me that the dog would have to go if I didn't stop him jumping up on people. I've tried giving him a light tap on the nose but it doesn't stop him at all. Any other suggestions?

The second is that he won't eat any potato skins. He's getting plenty of other food so he won't starve but any other dog that we've had was mad for them.

Thanks for reading
    ids

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Potato skins... seriously why would he...? :eek: I'd completely stop feeding him the spuds, what else are you feeding him

As for the jumping, keep your leash on him in the house when smoeone new enters the room if he tried tug him back, say down/sit/no whichever you prefer, if he is trained to sit pull him and say sit, eventually he will automatically sit in front of new people once you say sit, without the aid of the leash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Ok is the is post genuine or a Joke???

If genuine, eh pup is 4mths old & displaying typical pup behaviour! - re jumping up , firm no's & turn back etc & pup will learn but repetition is key so he understands.

As for Potato Skins why on earth are you giving him them - he should be getting all the nutrition he needs from a good quality dry food or a raw food diet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Stop feeding the potato skins now!!

THEY ARE TOXIC FOR YOUR DOG AND COULD SERIOUSLY HARM HIM!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

This potato skins thing weirded me out there as it wasn't something I had ever heard before and, indeed, we had feed our cats when I was growing up on potato jackets without any ill effects. So, welcome our repository of all knowledge the Google machine!

Green Potato Skins, contains a toxin, solanine, which is only found in green tubers and green potato skins. Cooked potatoes are safe and nutritious for dogs.*

*Phew* While it's believable that my mum was trying to kill the cats for all those years I find it reassuring that, as they were cooked, she's kind to even animals she dislikes ;)

*a quote from one of the many sites that promotes this view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I call troll.

This person started a thread the other day in After Hours I think about killing a dog, or something just as ridiculous, and then admitted he was trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭idunnoshur

marley123 wrote: »
    Ok is the is post genuine or a Joke???

If genuine, eh pup is 4mths old & displaying typical pup behaviour! - re jumping up , firm no's & turn back etc & pup will learn but repetition is key so he understands.

It's genuine. I'm aware that it's normal behavior for a pup but I reckon a stop should be put to it while he's still young. I'll give that a try with the firm nos, thanks.
    marley123 wrote: »
    As for Potato Skins why on earth are you giving him them - he should be getting all the nutrition he needs from a good quality dry food or a raw food diet!

What else would be done with the potato skins? The dog may as well eat them as them being thrown away. He's also fed Orlando dog food.
    andreac wrote: »
    Stop feeding the potato skins now!!

THEY ARE TOXIC FOR YOUR DOG AND COULD SERIOUSLY HARM HIM!!!

I'd love to see a source for that, my grandfather fed his collie all of the potato skins from the house daily and he was a fine strong dog.
    I call troll.

This person started a thread the other day in After Hours I think about killing a dog, or something just as ridiculous, and then admitted he was trolling.

Yes that's true but I'm being 100% serious now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Im calling troll aswell.Idunnoshur--youve already admitted to trolling in AH--Why should I believe that this is a genuine thread.

Now consider this a warning--If you troll in this forum--You WILL be banned.Im not issuing another warning.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement