Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to rescue from? Pound or Dog Charities

• 15-02-2012 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

what are peoples opinions on rescuing dogs from dog pounds?
    these dogs are given 5 days before being put down where as the dogs in dog charities dont get put down but are arguably treated better.
    the dilemma here is does one rescue a dog from unnecessary being PTS??? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BDIs

many rescues take dogs from the pound when there time is up but unfortunatly there are more and more dogs going into both the pounds and rescues leaving resources and funds low.
    i have 1 from the pound and 1 from a rescue. it depends on what the owners is looking for and what experiences they have. an adult dog from the pound has no history and may have issues that will need an experienced handler were some dogs in rescues are there long enough for them to have a good assesment of them some even stay in foster care and so can be better placed and matched with new owners. with puppies in pounds you make think your getting a clean slate to start with but there maybe no idea of type or size just a rough guess as to what it may grow into and no idea of hereditory problems. in a rescue a bitch may come in with pups so an idea of size and type but hereditory problems can pop up. im also aware that hereditory problems can crop up even in pedigree dogs but you can research the breed and breeder. either way rehoming an unwanted pet is a lovely thing to do wether its pound or rescue its a life you save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Personally if I was ever getting another dog I would get one from the pound rather than a charity for the same reason you mentioned, a pound dog only gets 5 days, if their lucky, to find a home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

It depends on the circumstances. Rescues and shelters vet the dogs when they come in so can tell you whether they're suitable for a home with children or cats, or suitable for an active household/quiet household etc. Pounds unfortunately don't have the time or the resources.

I have a rescue dog but I wouldn't have any reservations on going to the pound for a dog, because it suits my circumstances. But it might not suit everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

IMHO, there are positives and negatives for both.

I will give my own personal reasons why I decided to opt for a rescue, that is not to say, that I am in any way against re-homing directly from a pound, the reasons below just state why I felt that for our family, adopting from a rescue was our best bet.

1. I wanted a RB / RB-cross (because I feel they get unfair discrimination and because of this many find it difficult to find new homes)
    (ime) pounds cannot/ do not re-home RB's.

2. I wanted to ensure that the dog I got would fit our lifestyle
    rescues do behavioral analysis and can advise you on which dogs are likely to suit your home.

3. I felt that cost wise, the donation which rescues ask for is very little for what you receive
    neutering, vaccinations, health check, behavioral analysis, advice/support (both short and long term) etc.

4. I felt that the donation which the rescue received helps to rehabilitate other dogs and keeps their doors open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

It's all the same really whether you take a dog from the pound or a rescue. Look at it this way you take a dog from a rescue, this creates a space for another dog to be taken in (either someone surrendering the dog or some rescues take dogs from pounds once their 5 days are up, either way these dogs have to go somewhere). At least with a rescue you have an idea of the dog's temperment & health problems, it will be neutered, vaccinated & microchipped. Most pound dogs don't even get to see a vet, and I know of only 1 pound who claim to vaccinate and microchip. Either way your saving a dog, (even from a no-kill rescue your creating a space to take in another dog that may have been ptd's), it's your choice where you want to save it from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd be inclined to go for a rescue/charity because the dogs are temperment and health checked, meaning that there would, hopefully, not be any nasty and expensive surprises. That said, my brother got a dog from the pound and she's the sweetest natured thing I've ever come across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

i have one pound dog (unknown age, about 4 or 5 i think), and one rescue destructo pup!(1 year old)

I found the pound to be a little more lenient about who they let take a dog. By that i mean there was no house visit, and very little (if any) vetting procedure

The rescue organised a house visit, wanted the name of my vet, to see the big lad's licence, all that sort of thing before allowing the pup come to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If you are experienced & confident with dogs then a Pound dog is fine. If you want more back up then go for a rescue. If you want to be sure that the rescue takes Pound dogs then ask them. The situation is different with Restricted breeds & Greyhounds because they are not always taken by rescues.

Emotionally it may be easier to view a dog on a rescue site & then go to see it rather than having to choose from lots of desperate dogs at the Pound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

My attitude towards rescues these days is they are magnets for busybodies and weirdos :eek:. I'd want to do a house visit on them before I dealt with one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Bambi wrote: »
    My attitude towards rescues these days is they are magnets for busybodies and weirdos :eek:. I'd want to do a house visit on them before I dealt with one.

Try running a rescue & see how you end up :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

If you use a rescue that pulls dogs from the pound then it's the same - you free up a space for a new pound dog. Main difference is that there is the possibility of returning a dog to the rescue if something went wrong, how could you do that to a pound dog?
    Unless you're like the weirdos that dump their dogs there in the first place...

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

thinking about it from one perspective, if i rescue from the charities then my donation is put back into the long term care of the animals they have,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Well said:)
    Renno123 wrote: »
    thinking about it from one perspective, if i rescue from the charities then my donation is put back into the long term care of the animals they have,

Advertisement