Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did I just fail out of college?

• 15-02-2012 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

2nd year arts student here, doing joint honours. Had a 5 credit module in 1st semester, missed the mid-term exam (50%) due to my poor attendance, but pulled my socks up a little and handed in the essay at the end of term (50%) Though it was far from my best work, not by a long shot. The repeat of the in-class test was today, and through a combination of stress, our internet getting cut off due to me not paying the bill (see stress) and diarrhea (don't ask), I missed the repeat, of a semester 1 module. Does this mean I have effectively failed the year/failed college? I can't go back next year just to sit 1 module, and I think having a doctor's cert (if I can even get one) doesn't mean the module can be exempted. And you're only ever entitled to 1 repeat, right? The whole idea makes me sick- I'm in real trouble now. They don't hold a second one, do they? Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated, and AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
    Thanks so much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

if you can repeat a module, you can't get an honors at the end, no matter how hard you work.Bad stuff happened in life and you lost a year, repeat it all from scratch, do it right and carry on. Don't feel sick, just draw a line under it and move on one way or another.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Snoogans

I'm 27. This is my second attempt at college (and doing an arts degree was a bad choice, i do realise in retrospect). I've sunk every penny into college, living on back to education allowance. I dropped out of my first course (in tralee) after 2 years, saved up and prepped for another year, then into UCC for this debacle. I've wasted 5 years of my life consecutively now in achieving nothing. I need to get this or I have nothing. I can't go back and sink another €2000/year into yet another college course. I'm done.

Does this mean then, that even if I get through 2nd year, my 3rd year degree will be worthless because of this single 5 credit module?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

Snoogans wrote: »
    I'm 27. This is my second attempt at college (and doing an arts degree was a bad choice, i do realise in retrospect). I've sunk every penny into college, living on back to education allowance. I dropped out of my first course (in tralee) after 2 years, saved up and prepped for another year, then into UCC for this debacle. I've wasted 5 years of my life consecutively now in achieving nothing. I need to get this or I have nothing. I can't go back and sink another €2000/year into yet another college course. I'm done.

Does this mean then, that even if I get through 2nd year, my 3rd year degree will be worthless because of this single 5 credit module?

You can be certified for ill health as a valid reason to miss an exam - whether a repeat or not. This may mean that the exam is re-scheduled again, or that an alternative assessment is set for you (essay in lieu of exam): an exemption isn't the only option. Given that it's a 1st semester option, a repeat assessment could feasibly be set in May (or more likely) August of this year.

Failing an exam in 2nd year, and being capped at 40% of marks in the repeat exam, in a 5 credit module, will have no impact on the award of Honours in 3rd Year in most subjects (History, English etc.)

It will have a (very small) impact in some subjects such as Mathematics or Geography where 1/3rd of total marks of that year are carried over from 2nd year for the award of Honours in the 3rd.

So relax, and contact the department about your situation and see a doctor if you need to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Snoogans

Plautus wrote: »
    You can be certified for ill health as a valid reason to miss an exam - whether a repeat or not. This may mean that the exam is re-scheduled again, or that an alternative assessment is set for you (essay in lieu of exam): an exemption isn't the only option. Given that it's a 1st semester option, a repeat assessment could feasibly be set in May (or more likely) August of this year.
    Okay, I do have a doctor's note. But that's a lot of conjecture, isn't it? The only other people i've spoken to seem to think that once you miss the repeat exam, you're ****ed. Sure I can repeat the module next year for free, but that basically means dropping out, with the financial setup I'm on. Exams in August seem possible, and if so, I'm looking forward to the idea. (though it will ruin my holidays) But no one barring you has mentioned that possibility yet. While what you say is super encouraging, may i ask where you got your info?
    Failing an exam in 2nd year, and being capped at 40% of marks in the repeat exam, in a 5 credit module, will have no impact on the award of Honours in 3rd Year in most subjects (History, English etc.)

It will have a (very small) impact in some subjects such as Mathematics or Geography where 1/3rd of total marks of that year are carried over from 2nd year for the award of Honours in the 3rd.

So relax, and contact the department about your situation and see a doctor if you need to :)
    Thanks a lot for the kind words, and what you were saying makes way more sense than me not being able to earn an honour because of that one damned module. I guess it's just a case of being able to retake the assessment sometime before 3rd year is due to start. Hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

I would be basing it on my own experience of History department guidelines where unfulfilled assessment from either 1st or 2nd term must be completed by a certain date in August. The Book of Modules for any subject also mentions it under the heading of 'supplemental examinations':

http://www.ucc.ie/modules/descriptions/page036.html#HI2102

The Department has to make provision for students with valid medical reasons. If you sit down to talk with the Department and explain everything I think you'll be reassured. If you flag your problems early they're usually happy to help you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

There will most definitely be a repeat exam/essay for this in August.

Don't panic. Just work hard and make sure this module is the only one you have to repeat in August and the stress should ease a bit. It's 5 credits of 60 in 2nd year-it's not.. NOT the end of the world or your degree by any means.

Chin up!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SEEMagazine

As has been said above, go talk to your Dept, and definitely talk to the Education Officer in the SU as they'll be fighting your corner in case of any problems.

Always keep the dialogue flowing.

If stress is a serious issue then maybe go see the health services there. I don't mind admitting I had a breakdown one year due to a death of a friend and they were of immense help to me... Hell, look at me now. Executive Editor no less. Gas.

Advertisement