Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gig Times

Options
  • 15-02-2012 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭

Right, want an opinion on something.

A small band you want to see has a new tour where they are headlining. They have a gig in a small Dublin bar on a Sunday, with 2 supporting acts. The doors open at 5 and there's no other mention of times. What time would you expect the main band to start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

59 views and not 1 opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Judging by my experiences id imagine the first band will be on at 6.30(6 at the earliest)probably for 30 minutes,second band at 7/7.30 30 minutes then headline at 8.30/9 id say

5 is very early for opening,id be surprised if the headliners didnt play by 9 though some bands tend to come on stage much later Thursday to Sunday,i can understand coming on late on Friday and Saturday but Thursday and Sunday are for most(though not all of course)still "school nights",call me a grumpy old man but i dont like to still be out past midnight when im up at 6.30 next morning,saw one band come on at midnight on a Thursday a few years ago,i was a zombie next day:o

Can you not just ring the venue in question?...or the band if theyre that small!

I ask because i've been to a gig as advertised above. There were no extra times listed, and the first few google searches gave the same info.

You can imagine my absolute disgust when we turned up at 7.50pm to find out they were on their last 2 songs... They started at 7, and finished at 8. Their first gig in Ireland and with no sight of another...

And they're small but not extremely small. Alestorm.

Meh. Maybe the support bands were good

Meh. Maybe the support bands were good

Don't know, didn't get to see them... And while i know Alestorm isn't everyone's taste, it's the timing i've an issue with. If it was properly advertised, i would have been there at 6!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Not much use after the fact, but keeping an eye on the gigs board of MetalIreland will help you if the same thing comes up again. H from DME pretty much always puts up the running order and set times there.

rain on wrote: »
    Not much use after the fact, but keeping an eye on the gigs board of MetalIreland will help you if the same thing comes up again. H from DME pretty much always puts up the running order and set times there.

If they come round again, i'll be in the pub/club 1 hour before doors opening time just to make sure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would ring the venue in advance, I have never once rang up where they could not give me a time.

They are usually well aware as many roadie/setup guy types are paid for just the few hours they are there.

Its rare to see any on before 8.30 for most gigs, if they are I have seen it stated on the tickets.

Advertisement