Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Food Festival 2012

Options
  • 15-02-2012 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

Just seen this advertised, what a great idea and about time really.
    I thinks its meant to run on the Easter bank holiday.

Anyone have any idea of the events involved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Six Degrees

+1.

Great idea. Just what Galway needs, in fairness the city and county has a wealth of quality suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Yeah saw this in the Indo today, good idea. Hopefully will pop down for a nosey!
    When is Easter bank hol weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

magentas wrote: »
    Yeah saw this in the Indo today, good idea. Hopefully will pop down for a nosey!
    When is Easter bank hol weekend?

7th & 8th April. Seems early this year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Not another food thread!
    Unless it's reasonably priced food, then I ain't interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

snubbleste wrote: »
    Not another food thread!

Then don't bother reading the thread and leaving a comment!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

GastroBoy wrote: »
    Then don't bother reading the thread and leaving a comment!!!

Wait! Does that mean it's not reasonably priced? Surely some of it is! Anyone any details to win snubbleste and other bargain hunters over?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I came up with the idea a while back that Galway should have a food competition- find the best burger, steak etc in Galway.
    There'd be a panel that'd taste the food in all locations, restaurants,cafes could do deals for the weekend that the competition is on.
    Also have food stalls in Eyre Square etc.

kind of like the one that they have in Limerick.
    Would go down well and be great publicity for the winners (or top three in each section).

i'm looking forward to this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

dinneenp wrote: »
    I came up with the idea a while back that Galway should have a food competition- find the best burger, steak etc in Galway.
    There'd be a panel that'd taste the food in all locations, restaurants,cafes could do deals for the weekend that the competition is on.

Can I be on the panel? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Not another food thread!
    Back to counting the steps to Supermacs for you!!
    At least this thread is interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

newkie wrote: »

bah ...The Festival is launched on the Independent but the website ain't working ... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 biscuits4abear

The website will be up next week - the programme of events is just being finalized at the moment, but should be great. There has been a lot of interest in it so far, but I agree it's a long overdue event for Galway.

newkie wrote: »
    Website still not doing its thing.

Website still not doing its thing.

Just had a look and there seems to be a blog profiling (I assume paticipating) restaurants. There is also a twitter and facebook pots to follow. Haven't seem much in the way of event details yet, but at least you can follow them easily now.

Looks like the website got updated, this time with the event menu:

http://www.galwayfoodfestival.com/events

Is the marquee at the Spanish Arch connected to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Is the marquee at the Spanish Arch connected to this?
    Yes as per all the advertising.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Bit of a washout today with the rain. Saw a couple of talks, not much of interest in the stands. Needs moar stuff to keep me interested but at least it's a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Didn't get a chance to go to any of this. Any opinions from people who saw a few things?

Good concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

Didn't get a chance to go to any of this. Any opinions from people who saw a few things?

Good concept.

I though it was a poor show to be honest, even without the rain I dont think it would of been good unfortunately. I have been to other food fairs in the UK before and they didnt compare in my opinion.

2/10 is my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

bensweeney wrote: »
    I though it was a poor show to be honest, even without the rain I dont think it would of been good unfortunately. I have been to other food fairs in the UK before and they didnt compare in my opinion.

2/10 is my vote.

I would have to agree. it's nice that these things are run at all however in this case there just wasn't much to hold my attention.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I agree with the two posters above. Hopefully it will increase and improve if it is ran again next year. I felt it was just a slightly bigger version of the weekend market.

I had a quick look around on Saturday. I have to say, the place was buzzing and the festival tent was full to the brim. I met a load of mates walking around and sampling things. I thought it was pretty good, and definitely good for business all around. Mostly free stuff too - gave the town a lift imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

inisboffin wrote: »
    I had a quick look around on Saturday. I have to say, the place was buzzing and the festival tent was full to the brim. I met a load of mates walking around and sampling things. I thought it was pretty good, and definitely good for business all around. Mostly free stuff too - gave the town a lift imo.

I was there Sunday after the NFL league match between Kildare and Galway. What was the weather like on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Feck all veggie stuff there :-(
    Still though its a good idea. JP was saying they learnt a lot from it. Should improve in future years.

bensweeney wrote: »
    I was there Sunday after the NFL league match between Kildare and Galway. What was the weather like on Saturday?

Mixed. Sunny spells and scattered showers, like the song says! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Report on the Food Festival here: http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0409/galway-food-festival.html

Unfortunately I wasn't around this weekend myself so missed out on it.

Advertisement