Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Wired alarm

Options
  • 15-02-2012 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hello all
    I'm thinking of getting in an alarm for the ground floor of my house.
    I've 17 windows 2 patio doors and one normal back door. What should I
    expect to pay for a system? I dont need it wired up to phone line. However I would like the option of doing this in the future
    House is wired for sensors. There wouldnt be any point in putting in wireless sensors? would there? are there any advantages of them over the wired ones?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,700 ✭✭✭✭altor

Espoo wrote: »
    Hello all
    I'm thinking of getting in an alarm for the ground floor of my house.
    I've 17 windows 2 patio doors and one normal back door. What should I
    expect to pay for a system? I dont need it wired up to phone line. However I would like the option of doing this in the future
    House is wired for sensors. There wouldnt be any point in putting in wireless sensors? would there? are there any advantages of them over the wired ones?

cheers

If the house is pre-wired anything from €800-€900. A text or voice dialer can cost up to €150 installed added to most systems.

A hybrid system would be the best option to get installed. With these type system if you do have any issues with cabling then adding wire free devices is easy to do. Also handy for adding wire free smoke, heat or motion detectors.

If your home is wired then use the wired sensors. If you decided to use wire free sensors instead then the system would cost over double the amount to have installed.

Just make sure who ever you get to install the system is registered to install alarm systems. Check out the PSA website for a list of installers.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Espoo

Altor
    Thanks for that. Your spot on with the price. I was quoted €850. With the voice dialer I would need a phone line? Dont have one yet. Eircom were fitting the line for free a while back. I wonder is it still free to fit? How much is the line rental? depends which company I go with I suppose. I hear vodafone are doing it for €40/month with broadband and free land line calls. It would be more economical to use broadband net from landline and work the voice dialer too. What I mean is it would be expensive just to put the landline in for the sake of the voice dialer alone?

Cheers

Altor
    Thanks for that. Your spot on with the price. I was quoted €850. With the voice dialer I would need a phone line? Dont have one yet. Eircom were fitting the line for free a while back. I wonder is it still free to fit? How much is the line rental? depends which company I go with I suppose. I hear vodafone are doing it for €40/month with broadband and free land line calls. It would be more economical to use broadband net from landline and work the voice dialer too. What I mean is it would be expensive just to put the landline in for the sake of the voice dialer alone?

Cheers

If you where to get the HKC Securewave 10/70 hybrid panel installed then adding the dialer will allow you send texts if your service provider is Eircom or Vodafone. If you had UPC installed which works out cheaper as there is no line rental then you could use the voice function to send a voice message. It will give a zone activation description rather that a message saying the alarm has activated.
    Either way you would need an analog line to use a voice dialer.

Interesting. How much is upc?depends on the package I suppose. I'd be just interested in the net and house alarm really. How does that work? Does it not need/use the phone line? As there is no line rental with this.

Interesting. How much is upc?depends on the package I suppose. I'd be just interested in the net and house alarm really. How does that work? Does it not need/use the phone line? As there is no line rental with this.

They use there own cable to supply phone, broadband and tv. For a price you would need to contact them. Here is a link ;)
    UPC provide a phone line that can be bundled with broadband working out cheaper than most service providers.

• Advertisement

Thanks Altor. I did have a bad experience with Chorus before. They are the same as upc?? Anyway if there is a few bob to be saved i might put that behind me!
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

With the voice dialer I would need a phone line? Dont have one yet.
    For what it's worth, the ones Eircom sell have a sim card in them - maybe look into what model they give people, and see if that model would suit your needs?

Cheers Syco. I'll do that

the_syco is referring to a GSM. Eircom will only sell a GSM that will contact a monitoring station. If you did decide to fit one to a HKC control panel then get the HKC GSM, this will also give you remote access to the alarm for arming/disarming and self monitoring the alarm. It can also be used to control lights and heating by texting the outputs in the GSM.

Here is a link to the manual off the GSM.

Cheers Altor
    Hkc seems to be the best option alright

Espoo

• Advertisement

Cheers Altor
    Hkc seems to be the best option alright

Espoo

Your welcome, any problems let us know.

Advertisement